Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stages Power Meter and Garmin - Losing Connection
Quote | Reply
I have a stages power meter and a Garmin 920XT. Doing workouts on my trainer the reading routinely drops off and then sits at zero for a few seconds before picking back up with reading whatever power I am producing. Yesterday's file showed me spending over 5 minutes of a 1 hour session between 0-25 watts when I never spent a second of my workout in this range. I've gotten used to this in my training and just keep working during the drop outs but for things like a 20 minute test or trying to hold an average over a certain amount of time, the zeros mess up my average. Is there any way to clean this up in my file? I am not good with technology so my attempts to clean up so far are limited to trying to clean up the file via TP and strava.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter and Garmin - Losing Connection [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give stages a call. They will ask for the date code on the battery door and may send you a new battery door. They will also tell you to bend the copper terminal to about a 30 degree angle so the battery makes better contact and probably tell you to do a hard reboot on it. They will provide instructions for all of this.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter and Garmin - Losing Connection [jsosinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks. I will do this!
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter and Garmin - Losing Connection [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was having this problem as well. I just 'fitted' to the battery cover door a tab of black insulation tape formed into a square to pack out the fit between the door and the battery. This done the job and had no problems since. I think the battery was temporarily loosing connection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most people fix this by using a Garmin Edge. A lot of Forerunner devices seem to be lacking in picking up a signal from Stages. You can test this by putting the Garmin right under the crank, or low on the downtube and see if it still drops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you found a solution yet?

I purchased the stages gxp carbon crank and have sent it back twice for the same issue. Only time the thing works like its supposed to is when its raining. Still to this day stages is blaming to on my head unit when I've tried 4 different ones with the same results.

Also I'm using a edge 1000. No other sensor on my bike ever have any dropouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter and Garmin - Losing Connection [bram06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bram06 wrote:

My solution was to get rid of it and buy a real power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter and Garmin - Losing Connection [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
bram06 wrote:

Well, I was having the same issue. Sold my stages and got a PowerTap C1; it happens with it too. I think this is a Garmin 920xt issue and not a Stages issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter and Garmin - Losing Connection [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guscrown wrote:
noofus wrote:
bram06 wrote:

Well, I was having the same issue. Sold my stages and got a PowerTap C1; it happens with it too. I think this is a Garmin 920xt issue and not a Stages issue.

I have a Garmin 500 that I use pretty much only as a head unit, and a 920xt that I actually use to collect and upload data.

I use a Powertap G3 on my road bike and it is dead reliable with both Garmin devices. Never a dropout.

On my previous tri bike I had a Quarq Riken. Also 100% dead reliable with both devices.

My new tri bike sadly could not fit the Quarq due to an incompatibility with the BB386EVO bottom bracket so I was forced to find another solution. I initially went with Stages on an Ultegra crank because my shop strongly recommended it despite my reservations. Like I quite literally told them I was skeptical about it but they assured me it was fine. Well, it wasn't fine. At all. I was getting a good 2-7% dropout rate on every ride to the 920, and around 1-2% with the 500. It didn't matter where I put the devices. Well, in practical places. One day I rode with my 920 around my left ankle like a timing chip and the data were flawless. Sadly I couldn't see it in real time. None of that is at all ideal.

Stages support suggested swapping units with a new one in case it was a defective unit. No dice. Same issues. The shop agreed to take the Stages crank arm as a return since they felt bad about the recommendation despite my reservations.

I now ride with Powertap P1 pedals (dual sided, which I am thankful for as I have a strong imbalance biased towards the left leg). Guess what? No dropouts. The P1s work as expected.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter and Garmin - Losing Connection [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
guscrown wrote:
noofus wrote:
bram06 wrote:

I have a Garmin 500 that I use pretty much only as a head unit, and a 920xt that I actually use to collect and upload data.

I use a Powertap G3 on my road bike and it is dead reliable with both Garmin devices. Never a dropout.

On my previous tri bike I had a Quarq Riken. Also 100% dead reliable with both devices.

My new tri bike sadly could not fit the Quarq due to an incompatibility with the BB386EVO bottom bracket so I was forced to find another solution. I initially went with Stages on an Ultegra crank because my shop strongly recommended it despite my reservations. Like I quite literally told them I was skeptical about it but they assured me it was fine. Well, it wasn't fine. At all. I was getting a good 2-7% dropout rate on every ride to the 920, and around 1-2% with the 500. It didn't matter where I put the devices. Well, in practical places. One day I rode with my 920 around my left ankle like a timing chip and the data were flawless. Sadly I couldn't see it in real time. None of that is at all ideal.

Stages support suggested swapping units with a new one in case it was a defective unit. No dice. Same issues. The shop agreed to take the Stages crank arm as a return since they felt bad about the recommendation despite my reservations.

I now ride with Powertap P1 pedals (dual sided, which I am thankful for as I have a strong imbalance biased towards the left leg). Guess what? No dropouts. The P1s work as expected.

Well, I too have a head unit, a Garmin 510 and it has no issues, and I actually record my workouts with my iPhone (using TrainerRoad) and also no issues. I only have issues with the 920xt, and mostly when I'm wearing it on my arm. If I set the device Between the Bars the majority of the time I won't have drop-outs.

I've read other people having the same issue when they have their 920xt on their wrist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issues... even sent my powermeter back to Garmin and got a new pair (Vectors but before also had the problem with Stages). Always terrible data and never a nice steady line... Until I read somewhere that the Wifi signal could interrupt the ANT+ signal. So I turned off my router/Wifi and never had any problem since, always rock solid data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was also having this same issue and bought a Garmin 520 for my bike. No issues with the 520.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a known issue with stages, see this page.

In my case I get regular dropouts if I run an outfront mount (Barfly) on my road bike, but it's rock solid if I use the soft mount on my stem. I would experiment with different locations for the head unit first, as that's the cheapest, fastest, easiest fix. I figured it out by running a head unit on the seat tube, then the top tube, then eventually tried the stem mount.

I'm not sure if Stages has a weaker ANT+ signal than other PM's (in an attempt to save battery life?), but it is somewhat annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter and Garmin - Losing Connection [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has been my experience. Out front mounts that put the bar in line of sight to the crank don't work well (those that hold the Garmin above the bar). No trouble signal wise since switching to the soft mount. Have many other separate issues with mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue. It would regularly drop out when connecting to my Garmin 300 on the trainer. On the road it never dropped out so it's not a battery issue.

I just downloaded The Wahoo fitness app and connected it to my cell phone. It's been perfect ever since.

IMO it's not a battery issue but a rather a loss of connection issue and I think Bluetooth works better than Ant+.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter and Garmin - Losing Connection [Stimps9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Known problem with stages and a garmin in between aero bars

Stages told me it's because of my water bottles

I bought a different power meter to fix the problem

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
experience the same thing multiple times, got the 'put your garmin on your stem' response from Stages and it worked...went out and purchased a wahoo elemnt, put it out front and have seen no dropouts since
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter and Garmin - Losing Connection [ollie3856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
like everyone else I have an ultegra states with a 910xt and now a 920xt. This powermeter is worthless using my garmin except on the trainer using my ipad with trainer road. (garmin still useless inside). So my question is...I have been thinking of getting a dedicated bike computer vs. the mount for my watch where I risk losing it and its small, etc....

I was thinking the stages unit when it comes out thinking, "shit..hopefully their own unit communicates!", but now im thinking I don't want to give them anymore money if they can't even make a product that communicates with the #1 headunits in the market. So my question is...what other bike computers out there consistently communicate when between aero bars? the garmin 510? the new wahoo?... The potential issues ive seen with Stages and Kickr is all the pics show it mounting on the middle of the bars and not on the aero bars which all triathletes know isn't all that helpful. In addition, I like to upload my workouts to garmin connect which I'm assuming only works with garmin products so Stages and Kickr wont work there either.

Maybe unloading this POS power meter is the better option as the $4-500 I will spend on a computer will make up the difference in cost for a real PM.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter and Garmin - Losing Connection [Am00re34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Stages and like you it doesn't work with my watch. I was able to pickup a used Garmin 500 for the cost of a 6 pack and haven't had any problems. I have several friends that use it with the 520 as well. I don't think you need to spend $400-$500 on a head unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter and Garmin - Losing Connection [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a 920xt and new Stages PM with the same problem. If I wear my watch I get nearly no signal from the PM but if I hang the watch between my aero bars it works just fine (on a trainer). Even found that if the watch sits in the palm of my hand the power drops out. Strange that the BT connection to my phone from the PM is good and the ANT+ connection to my watch from my HRM works fine but the PM to the watch only works when the back of the watch is not blocked. Is it Garmin's fault? Stages' fault? Takes two to tango (or trip in this case)? Afraid of what I'll find outside but its too cold to test it.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter and Garmin - Losing Connection [ollie3856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ollie3856 wrote:
experience the same thing multiple times, got the 'put your garmin on your stem' response from Stages and it worked...went out and purchased a wahoo elemnt, put it out front and have seen no dropouts since

+1, pairing with BTsmart did the trick for me. Forerunner 935 or any Fenix 5 now supports it.
Quote Reply