Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had problems with the transmission of power data between a Stages PM and a Garmin 910xt? I paired the PM to the watch without a problem but anytime I ride the signal between the two constantly gets dropped. The power data will be visible on the watch for a bit but then it basically drops by 1/2 and then to zero and this will repeat constantly. I think its a factor of how close the watch is to the crank because I decided to strap the watch to my bottle cage as a test and there was no problem at all. I can't see how the difference of around a foot could make a difference when its on my wrist but it seems so. Also, I downloaded the Wahoo app and there is no transmission problems to the phone but I don't use that for training/racing.

I've contacted Stages and got an email back that they wanted to check it out with the Garmin folks so I'm hoping to get some answers soon. Just figured I'd post here and see if anyone had similar problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [dmags311] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same problem. Did you get a response yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had this issue when I tried a friends 910 with my stages. Do you have the 910 mounted to your bars or on your wrist? For me, it worked fine mounted on my bars (large road bike) but I had huge dropout issues when I wore it on my wrist. I have zero issues when I use my garmin 500 paired with the Stages.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [triflorida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spoke with Garmin multiple times and its an issue they are "working on". It won't work on the wrist but does on the stem or base bar. I tried a hard reset to no avail so I hope its an issue that a future firmware update can fix. Less than ideal setup for IMMT in a week but a few extra seconds in transition aren't too bad. I haven't heard any issues with quarq or powertap so stages seems to be at least part of the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This probably isn't all that helpful but I have a new Stages PM I got a month ago and a 910xt I got maybe a year and a half ago and I've had no issues as far as I can tell...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just had a new Stages delivered for wifey. I have a 910 though so when she takes it for a spin I will test and report back. She had a Garmin 500 so hopefully that will work ok.

If Garmin have 'almost' admitted the issue then it does seem weird. The problem must be one of a few things signal strength, data type, vibration.

Vibration - I had a theory that vibration was causing the 910 to turn off, a problem experienced with early software versions on the 910. When you add a quick release the watch vibrated against the plastic QR bracket. I added a small piece of runner between the two and the problem disappeared. But as you are wearing it on your wrist then the vibration issue is not really an issue.

Movement - Most other ANT additions are fixed. So maybe having one that is moving is causing a dropout? But I can't see that your wrist moves that much for it to be an issue.

Distance - Most cadence / speed sensors are on the chain stay, probably further away than the Stages, and they work. So distance should not be a factor.

It's an odd one for sure! Which wrist do you wear it on? Opposite side to the Stages or same side?

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine started doing this on today's ride. I was testing FTP so it really really pissed me off. It's pretty fucking pathetic that an iPhone can do a better job than a garmin designed specifically for this.

Iam using a PT and everything was fine on Monday. I wear it on my wrist but will try putting it on bike. I'll also email the fucktards at Garmin.

Quote | Reply
Can we safely say that this is a Garmin issue now seeing as the last poster was using a PT? And not a Stahes issue?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds right to me. When I had the issue it was 100% based on wearing the watch on my wrist vs mounted on the bars. Could be the orientation on you wrist doesn't work for some PM's. Not sure if the signal strength from the PM drops as the battery drains??
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be the same for all PM's no?

Maybe still a Stages issue if they are sending weaker signals. Not heard much in the way of other PM users with dropping from 910 on wrist..

Hopefully it is a Garmin issue and update fixable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess it depends how directional the output signal is, and how directional the receiver is. Would be nice if it was just a Garmin firmware issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes...I ordered a Stages on a new DA9000 crankset, still waiting on it. I'm using the Garmin 500 for all training rides (and likely will use on the bike for races) but use the 310XT for all races....has anyone had this issue with the 500 or 310XT not reading the Stages PM?
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [obohlman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a problem with my 310xt. It just seems to be the 910xt; however, my 910xt also drops the signal from the gsc-10. I've contacted Garmin and they are sending my third replacement. I've had to use my 310xt in order to get accurate data regarding cadence and power. I can only trust the 910 when it comes to distance, speed, and heart rate. Real bummer!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [cheekcn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Stages Crank with a 310XT and experienced the problem during the summer. One day, the cadence and power started to disapear (cadence was also showing funny numbers). I changed the battery, and I don't have any problem now :)
I think the strengh of the signal was too low, which causes the power to disapear (or not enough power to measure properly the cadence >> impossible to calculate the power ?)
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [obohlman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Stages PM on a DA9000 crank and have it paired with a Garmin 510. It was working fine up until my ride last night where I was getting intermittent dropouts, the battery in the Stages is new so it can't be that. I did however move my Garmin from behind my aerobar mounted bottle to in front of it and was wondering if that added distance is causing the trouble. I also have issues with the Stages connecting to TrainerRoad, the computer is around 5 feet away from me and the ANT+ sensor just won't recognize it. For my next trainer ride I purcahsed a USB extension cable so hopefulyl that works. I think the Stages might send out a weaker signal perhaps? I've never had dropout issues with my Quarq power meter either indoors or out.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [Sub11Hours] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've recently got a Stages power meter, and have a similar issue with my Garmin 910 (worn on left wrist) dropping power signal very frequently.

I've also got a 705 Edge (mounted on stem) and that seems to be picking up the Stages just fine, no drop outs at all, so it seems to suggest the issue is with the receiving 910 watch, rather than with the Stages PM.

I've just had a bar mount delivered today, so I'll give that a go and see if it sorts out the problem.

Did anyone hear back from Garmin or Stages regarding a solution, or is using a bar mount the best solution for the time being?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [johngsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stages works fine with my 510. The 910 is basically useless with Stages on my wrist or near the stem. Maybe it picks up the signal 5% of the time on my wrist and 10% of the time near the stem.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this issue too. Was worse with my 910, but I did see it with a 310 and 810. Stages told me to change my Garmin's acquisition to 1s recording rather than smart recording. That fixed it completely for me. Signal strength has something going on with it. Sometime I have to put my 810 down by the crank for it to make the initial link.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [harp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was having the same issue. Stages said it was a Garmin issue. Garmin a stages issue. Basically rendered it useless to me. Decided to go the powertap route instead. Just couldn't sit around and "hope" that one of the companies would fix the problem since I need the power for my IM in Nov.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, after the 910 (when worn on left wrist) being useless at picking up my Stages PM, I have tried it when mounted on the handle bars (using a £5 mounting piece of rubber, from Amazon) and it seems to be working perfectly, no drop outs at all.

I've had a look at the power files from the 910 when mounted on the bars, compared to a 705 edge when mounted on the stem, and the power graphs look pretty close. There are a few places where there are small differences, but I understand (from reading DC Rainmaker's website) this is virtually always going to happen, due to multiple data packets being sent from the power meter and the receiving unit only catching one of these per second). It doesn't look like the 910 has dropped the signal at any time, which was the problem I was having before.

So whilst this is not a perfect solution (because I prefer wearing the 910 on my wrist), it now does what I need.

Thanks for the suggestion to try this earlier in the thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are people still having a problem with the 910xt pairing with the Stages PM?

I plan on getting the Stages and need a GPS/ANT unit to grab all of the data and was considering the 910xt.

Any firmware update fix the issues?

Thanks!

Nick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm having the same issue and been working with Garmin support to troubleshoot and resolve. Question... are you still having the issue? Did you change to 1-sec recording instead of smart?
Thanks,

My Blog | Twitter | Big Pistachio Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [cyberjunkie21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm still experiencing this issue. I've been thru 3 different 910s, upgraded to the latest firmware, tried wearing the watch differently, and switched from smart to 1 second. Nothing has seemed to work. If you find anything out, please post to this thread what you find out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will. I've been playing with 2 different 910's, my old cracked 310 (which works just fine) and two different GSC10's. Only config that came close(R) to the 310 was strapping a 910 to my seatpost, but there was still some dropping out. Waiting to hear back on next steps. This is so freaking frustrating since I love everything about the 910xt but am ready to flip to the Ambit or something. I'm not going to pay that much money to not have it work all the time when my old one did!!

My Blog | Twitter | Big Pistachio Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [cyberjunkie21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have anyone had luck with finding a solution for this ?
Quote Reply

Prev Next