Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [Auchenberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same issues..... would also love an update from Garmin...

Take your money and doesn't do what it says... nice work
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a solution to this? I just got a stages and am having this problem! I would like to get it sorted and start getting some race data!
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [george-bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No proegress that has been formally annoinced.

I am using the edge 500 on the bike and for the time being accepting that Garmin sell product that doesn't work.. not exactly news but hey...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, that is disappointing. Looks like I may just have to beg/borrow/steal another garmin head unit!

I have sent an email to stages to see if they have any ideas (apparently their tech support are fairly on the ball - so fingers crossed!)
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [george-bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should be able to get it to work if you mount it to the bars or stem, that has been my workaround. Still frustrating since it is a watch that is meant to be worn on your wrist but I have to take what I can get since no one wants to take ownership of the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [dmags311] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am having the same issues with my Rotor Power Meter. I pick up power and cadence just fine on my Edge 510, but it won't work more than 50% of the time on my 910. Really frustrating as I don't want to race with both and have been burned twice by the "quick release."
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [dmags311] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife just replaced her powertap with a stages. The signal is dropping very frequently. I tried a new battery and had the same results.

We can try it in her stem tomorrow, but that's a crummy long term solution. Has there been a fix for this yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar issue with my rotor power as well, I solved it by purchasing a P2M. The Rotor PM is on its 4th trip back to Rotor, going on a year with this problem. I now have P2Ms on all of my bikes, and all are working perfectly, sending accurate data to both my Edge 500 and 910 xt on all my rides from 1-6 hours long.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [801pe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is it a 910xt reads PT data coming from the rear wheel, but can't read data coming from the crank?

Quote | Reply
That's what I said.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [801pe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
801pe wrote:
That's what I said.

It's also odd how some have the issue and some don't. Just adds more head banging to the process of picking one.

Quote | Reply
I am not sure this will work. DCRainmaker may be able to comment

the 4iiii viiiiva HR strap is able to take an Ant+ signal and retransmit to Bluetooth
If it's able to do the opposite, ie take Bluetooth, which the stages can transmit, and retransmit to Ant+, this may boost the signal so the 910xt can read it.

Wonder if this would work ?
Not ideal since it requires a 4iiii strap, but still cheaper than a new head unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair idea,

I wonder if this would work..?

Garmin pull their heads out of their asses and fix their "top of the range" product to actually do what it is advertised to do, hence giving people what they paid for..
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We also tried mounting it to her aerobars (she's on a 2014 SC, so it is mounted on the single part of her aerobar since there really isn't a stem to put it on) and that didn't fix the problem. Looks like she are going to have to shell out some money for a garmin 500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
Fair idea,

I wonder if this would work..?

Garmin pull their heads out of their asses and fix their "top of the range" product to actually do what it is advertised to do, hence giving people what they paid for..

I'll send an email to 4iiii and see what they say
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm up north and stopped in a bike shop and they actually had a stages in stock. Just wish this garmin issue was resolved since all I have is 910.

Quote | Reply
This problem is not restricted to just the Stages product, several of us are also having the same drop issues with our Quarq and the 910XT. I wear my watch on my right hand and this starts dropping after about 45 minutes of riding. I've noticed if I don't carry a water bottle in the down tube cage that it is SLIGHTLY better, but the fact I have to let my arm hang next to the crank to get a reading is RIDICULOUS for a $400 watch. I will also continue to hammer Garmin, both via email and FB/Twitter and will update the group if I get any kind of response.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [danmonahan13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there reports of other multisport watches having similar issues?

Just wondering if there's a next best product that would work.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [Max Daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Are there reports of other multisport watches having similar issues?

Yes, I have Suunto Ambit 2s and it is basically useless on the wirst. It has occasional dropouts even with Powertap. On the handlebars works fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have spent HOURS researching this, reading every forum I can find (Garmin, Slowtwitch, FB pages, Twitter, etc) and here is where I've finally landed.

- It's a communication problem with the 910 picking up the signal from the power meter. We're supposed to keep it within 42" however a distance greater than 24" is causing the signal to drop and "zeros" to register in our readings.
- This is not restricted to one form of Power Meter- Those of us with Quarq, Vector, PowerTap, stages.. we're all having the same problems. This is a GARMIN communication issue with the ANT reader specific to the 910XT (some reports of the 310 also having this issue).
- Suggestions of "changing wrists from right to left or left to right" have helped some, but the problem seems to reappear. The only "confirmed" solution is to keep the watch within 24" of the power meter.
- Some have written that the 910 quick-release kit has helped them maintain a signal, however those of us using TT bikes (which I would assume is most of us that use a multisport watch) don't have the room on our bars due to aero drink bottles.
- Unfortunately GARMIN HAS ABANDONED US ON THIS ISSUE. MANY MANY MANY posts, all with people asking for help. all unanswered. DC Rainmaker recently posted that the team within Garmin that was assigned to work on 910XT issues has been "temporarily reassigned" to work on Vector projects. We are on our own with this.
- Known solutions posted by others: Buy a non Garmin based multisport watch (Timex or Polar), or purchase a Garmin Edge for accurate power numbers.

Personally I could not be more disappointed in Garmin and their lack of support for their "flagship" product, we continue to ask for help and we are
continually ignored. This watch was marketed as a complete solution for the multisport athlete and we are left with inaccurate distances on the swim GPS, power and cadence numbers that drop too frequently to provide accurate data on the bike, and Heart-rate spikes and crashes on the run that also provide untrustable data.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if this problem will be solved when the 920xt comes out?
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [lrcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will say I have a quarq on my TT bike and a stages on my road bike. I've never had an issue with the quarq dropping when the 910xt is on my wrist, however the stages has dropped every time its on my wrist. But if I mount the 910xt on the crossbar of my road bike, it doesn't drop.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [bsmak24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any news from Garmin on the powerdrop issue?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Stages PM and 910xt troubleshooting [Llcooljan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there issues with the 910 and vectors? Would seem they get about as far away from the wrist as you can other than a powertap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danmonahan13 wrote:
I have spent HOURS researching this, reading every forum I can find (Garmin, Slowtwitch, FB pages, Twitter, etc) and here is where I've finally landed.

- It's a communication problem with the 910 picking up the signal from the power meter. We're supposed to keep it within 42" however a distance greater than 24" is causing the signal to drop and "zeros" to register in our readings.
- This is not restricted to one form of Power Meter- Those of us with Quarq, Vector, PowerTap, stages.. we're all having the same problems. This is a GARMIN communication issue with the ANT reader specific to the 910XT (some reports of the 310 also having this issue).
- Suggestions of "changing wrists from right to left or left to right" have helped some, but the problem seems to reappear. The only "confirmed" solution is to keep the watch within 24" of the power meter.
- Some have written that the 910 quick-release kit has helped them maintain a signal, however those of us using TT bikes (which I would assume is most of us that use a multisport watch) don't have the room on our bars due to aero drink bottles.
- Unfortunately GARMIN HAS ABANDONED US ON THIS ISSUE. MANY MANY MANY posts, all with people asking for help. all unanswered. DC Rainmaker recently posted that the team within Garmin that was assigned to work on 910XT issues has been "temporarily reassigned" to work on Vector projects. We are on our own with this.
- Known solutions posted by others: Buy a non Garmin based multisport watch (Timex or Polar), or purchase a Garmin Edge for accurate power numbers.

Personally I could not be more disappointed in Garmin and their lack of support for their "flagship" product, we continue to ask for help and we are
continually ignored. This watch was marketed as a complete solution for the multisport athlete and we are left with inaccurate distances on the swim GPS, power and cadence numbers that drop too frequently to provide accurate data on the bike, and Heart-rate spikes and crashes on the run that also provide untrustable data.

I'm not sure if this is the problem. My Powertap connects perfectly with my 910 and s further away than the Stages.

From what I've read its an issue with the HRM and Stages. I haven't been able to sort out, and like you I'm very frustrated as it means I have to use both my 510 (which connects perfectly) and 910 when riding my TT bike.

A shame as I like the Stages and love the 910 so far. Can't really afford a 920 at this stage either

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply

Prev Next