Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
St Croix Triathlon is back!
Quote | Reply
Last spring it was announced that 2017 was the last year for the St Croix Ironman 70.3. A few concerned citizens in the community got together and worked amazingly hard to bring the race back to life. Here's the press release:

December 2, 2017
Christiansted, USVI
For immediate release
“St. Croix Triathlon, The Legend Continues”…in America’s Paradise. Save the date!
The island of St. Croix, in the US Virgin Islands, will host its 30th annual triathlon on December 2, 2018, making it one of the longest-running triathlons on record.
Known globally as “Beauty and the Beast”, the St. Croix Triathlon is one of the most beautiful and challenging races in the world. A crystal-clear harbor swim in the heart of historic Christiansted transitions to one of the most challenging 56-mile bike rides on the international circuit, which includes "The Beast"- the legendary, world-famous 15% average grade climb that crests the divide from the north shore to the south shore of St. Croix.
The run goes east from Christiansted, through historic Danish ruins, to the welcoming old-world grandeur of The Buccaneer Beach and Golf Resort. Throughout the event residents, volunteers and visitors cheer on athletes, with festivities occurring throughout the day and night in and around the historic district in Christiansted.

Three races will be offered: Half, Sprint and for the first time, a Sprint Aquathlon, with the Half designated as the Caribbean Long Distance Triathlon Championship. Additionally, relays are offered in the Half-Iron and Sprint Triathlon races.
New for this year, the St. Croix Triathlon will be a non-profit event that will be a fund-raiser for local charities that were impacted by Hurricane Maria in September 2017. “The Race to Rebuild” will feature several clinics, parties and entertainment offerings over several days leading up the Sunday races. Iconic professional triathletes from past years will be present to give clinics and to share stories of their extraordinary racing careers. Lisa Bentley, an 11-time IRONMAN Champion, says of the race, “Racing in St. Croix is true triathlon. Every resident embraces the event. No exaggeration. I never saw a car on the bike course on race day. The locals were either volunteering or cheering. Twice, on separate years, I got a flat tire training a few days prior to race day. I was picked up immediately within minutes by a local and driven back to my homestay. No cellphone required. Racing in St. Croix embodies all that is good about triathlon. We raced hard. But the biggest takeaways were the relationships we built with the local families. Those priceless memories are lasting a lifetime.”

Sponsored by the USVI Department of Tourism and sanctioned by USA Triathlon, the event will be under the direction of Scott Fricks and Theresa Harper, both from St Croix. Previously known as “America’s Paradise Triathlon”, “Beauty and the Beast”, and “Ironman 70.3 St. Croix”, the St. Croix Triathlon is a must-do event for triathletes worldwide. Wendy Ingraham, 8-time IRONMAN Champion, comments, “There is a reason I have returned to St Croix’s triathlon for over 20 years. The people, the challenge of the course, the food; it is truly a race you cannot miss on your bucket-list.”

Registration with early discounts will open soon! For more information, please contact info@vitf.org[/url].

See you in December!

Scott Fricks, President
Virgin Islands Triathlon
USAT & FM Tri Level I, USAT Youth & Junior, ITU Level II Triathlon Coach
USAT Certified Race Director
Last edited by: Sfricks: Mar 29, 18 11:55
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix 70.3 is back! [Sfricks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott ... thank you & congratulations! St. Croix is indeed one of the prime classics of our sport, and it would have been a shame for it to go away. So many new triathletes will now have the ability to experience what all of the legends of our sport - and thousands of others - have been able to do. And, December in St. Croix - wow! Wishing you and the Island great success, my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sfricks wrote:
Last spring it was announced that 2017 was the last year for the St Croix Ironman 70.3. A few concerned citizens in the community got together and worked amazingly hard to bring the race back to life. Here's the press release:

December 2, 2017
Christiansted, USVI
For immediate release
“St. Croix Triathlon, The Legend Continues”…in America’s Paradise. Save the date!
The island of St. Croix, in the US Virgin Islands, will host its 30th annual triathlon on December 2, 2018, making it one of the longest-running triathlons on record.
Known globally as “Beauty and the Beast”, the St. Croix Triathlon is one of the most beautiful and challenging races in the world. A crystal-clear harbor swim in the heart of historic Christiansted transitions to one of the most challenging 56-mile bike rides on the international circuit, which includes "The Beast"- the legendary, world-famous 15% average climb that crests the divide from the north shore to the south shore of St. Croix.
The run goes east from Christiansted, through historic Danish ruins, to the welcoming old-world grandeur of The Buccaneer Beach and Golf Resort. Throughout the event residents, volunteers and visitors cheer on athletes, with festivities occurring throughout the day and night in and around the historic district in Christiansted.

Three races will be offered: Half-Iron, Sprint and for the first time, a Sprint Aquathlon, with the Half-Iron designated as the Caribbean Long Distance Triathlon Championship. Additionally, relays are offered in the Half-Iron and Sprint Triathlon races.
New for this year, the St. Croix Triathlon will be a non-profit event that will be a fund-raiser for local charities that were impacted by Hurricane Maria in September 2017. “The Race to Rebuild” will feature several clinics, parties and entertainment offerings over several days leading up the Sunday races. Iconic professional triathletes from past years will be present to give clinics and to share stories of their extraordinary racing careers. Lisa Bentley, an 11-time IRONMAN Champion, says of the race, “Racing in St. Croix is true triathlon. Every resident embraces the event. No exaggeration. I never saw a car on the bike course on race day. The locals were either volunteering or cheering. Twice, on separate years, I got a flat tire training a few days prior to race day. I was picked up immediately within minutes by a local and driven back to my homestay. No cellphone required. Racing in St. Croix embodies all that is good about triathlon. We raced hard. But the biggest takeaways were the relationships we built with the local families. Those priceless memories are lasting a lifetime.”
Sponsored by the USVI Department of Tourism and sanctioned by USA Triathlon, the event will be under the direction of Scott Fricks and Theresa Harper, both from St Croix. Previously known as “America’s Paradise Triathlon”, “Beauty and the Beast”, and “Ironman 70.3 St. Croix”, the St. Croix Triathlon is a must-do event for triathletes worldwide. Wendy Ingraham, 8-time IRONMAN Champion, comments, “There is a reason I have returned to St Croix’s triathlon for over 20 years. The people, the challenge of the course, the food; it is truly a race you cannot miss on your bucket-list.”
Registration with early discounts will open soon! For more information, please contact info@vitf.org[/url].

See you in December!

This is huge news and very glad to hear about this. I have raced St. Croix 5 times and it is one of favourite destinations to go to. Would love to go back!
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix 70.3 is back! [5430tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the well wishes! It's going to be an awesome event at an awesome time of the year. We're really pulling out the stops for the event. As a non-profit, we'll be putting $ back into the community which was ravaged by hurricane Maria AND we'll be putting a LOT of money back into the athletes who come to race. We'll have first class swag and live entertainment. SO excited!!!

Scott Fricks, President
Virgin Islands Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kudos!

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: St Croix 70.3 is back! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to see you back in the mix. How's the running coming?
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix 70.3 is back! [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! Other than needing a new left hip, all is well :) I'll get back into it mid-Dec. Had a good season with 4 Oly's and 4 AG 1st places. You?

Scott Fricks, President
Virgin Islands Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, I was asking about Dev, but I'm glad you are racing well and hope your hip isn't acting up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did this race used to be held in May? Does the December date have any weather implications? How are the accommodations for athletes since the Hurricane?
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix 70.3 is back! [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Johnny, just saw this, sorry! :) We've been ridiculously busy since the two hurricanes slammed the island.

Yes, there has been a half in May for years but in 2017 the RD said he wasn't hosting the race any longer. We (Virgin Islands Triathlon - the sanctioning body in the VI) were asked if we'd host the race and we agreed with conditions: one being that it's a 100% non-profit fundraiser for post hurricane recovery.

Weather? MUCH nicer and cooler in December!

Hotels, no problems. The host hotel is the Buccaneer but if you need recommendations for others, inbox me.

And, since it took me so darn long to respond, if you'll inbox me, I'll give you a special discount code above and beyond what everyone else is getting for your patience.

Scott Fricks, President
Virgin Islands Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I would love to see you back in the mix. How's the running coming?

My running is so hit and miss with leg spasms from my disc compression that I'm putting any attempts on hold. I'm focused as a swimmer and started some indoor rowing. I am going in for a disc surgery consult (FINALLY) on April 13th. It would be a miracle if I did St. Croix in Decemeber and I think if I had a surgery and got fixed up to that point that I could dream of doing it, my wife might just shoot me, and get me out of my misery LOL, so better that I focus on my new found love for swimming (for now). But the rest of you guys should go back to St. Croix. I had a lifetime of awesomeness on that island already racing there 5x!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen your posts on swimming and glad you have that outlet. My shoulders can barely take 12,000 to 15,000 yards a week so I'm lucky to still be running. St Croix is not in the cards for me this year as I'm very busy working off my bucket list. The age thing is staring me in the face and I wonder how long I can stay in the game. I hope to make it to M70 but that's a big ask given the drop out rate in the 60s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget about the Buck to Buc in November! 1, 2 & 5 mile ocean swims for every level. Swimming almost daily with turtles, rays, dolphins, etc. Check out wifey's FB for some awesome videos: https://www.facebook.com/carol.h.fricks

Scott Fricks, President
Virgin Islands Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sfricks wrote:
Don't forget about the Buck to Buc in November! 1, 2 & 5 mile ocean swims for every level. Swimming almost daily with turtles, rays, dolphins, etc. Check out wifey's FB for some awesome videos:
https://www.facebook.com/carol.h.fricks

How this looks awesome. I have to get down there one of these years:

http://swimrace.com/

Not sure I can pull it off this year as I am crunching away at getting my new tech startup (http://www.bluwave-ai.com) off the ground, but maybe next year!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Mar 29, 18 20:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What an interesting project! We could use your software herein the VI Im sure! :) Good luck!

Oh, and by the way, you might look at the St Croix RT Park for your company. Great tax benefits!

Scott Fricks, President
Virgin Islands Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sfricks wrote:
What an interesting project! We could use your software herein the VI Im sure! :) Good luck!

Oh, and by the way, you might look at the St Croix RT Park for your company. Great tax benefits!

Not to hijack sport with work, but I am hoping that our company can be part of the food chain to bring sustainable energy to remote and island communities who otherwise have to import in diesel for their power generation. Here is cool video from Tesla about what they did in American Samoa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZjEvwrDXn0

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...rid-tesla-solarcity/

I may actually be starting a project with a Boulder Co based company to do some work on a renewable energy microgrid in Puerto Rico (fingers crossed lets see). I was actually just getting the company going just as you all went through your last hurricane recovery and was thinking what a positive impact solar+battery+software can have.

The Buck to Buck swim looks really fun. Thanks for making the tri available again. Everyone should go try it once in their lives! Going to either St. Croix or Wildflower for a span of around 15 years really was one of the biggest highlights of my year. This would keep me hyper motivated through the winter and I'd come out of XC ski race season in some awesome fighting form and I either made the age group podium and was really darn close. Thanks Ton and all the people on the Island I made it to Kona via the St. Croix 70.3 in 2013, 2 years after being scraped off the IM Switzerland course and taken home in a ambulance. My last trip to St. Croix was in 2014. I was trying to qualify for the 70.3 World's in Tremblant, but as it turns out, I missed by 1 spot and I needed to g to 70.3 Tremblant in June to qualify for the World's there in Sep. But I had a pretty good race at my last round in St. Croix. Hard to imagine it was already 4 years ago!

How are the roads after the last hurricane? Also I have a question. I think you guys have an outdoor 50m pool somewhere in St. Croix. I'd like to come down eventually anyway for a swim vacation combining some open water and pool swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We can take the convo off board (shoot me an email) and I absolutely want to be kept in the loop with your work but to answer your questions:

The roads are atrocious. We still have power lines down in the roads, it's crazy! The 2 back-to-back hurricanes were devastating. Of course Puerto Rico gets the press (3.5 million people vs 100,000 in the VI) but I've had many people tell me that the VI is much worse then PR. That was part of the decision to move the event. We have the funding to repair the roads and they'll be better than ever but the logistics (people, equipment and materials) will just take time.

We do have a 50m pool on island but I rarely use it with all the amazing ocean swimming we have here.

Keep me posted on your work please!!!

Scott Fricks, President
Virgin Islands Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sfricks wrote:
We can take the convo off board (shoot me an email) and I absolutely want to be kept in the loop with your work but to answer your questions:

The roads are atrocious. We still have power lines down in the roads, it's crazy! The 2 back-to-back hurricanes were devastating. Of course Puerto Rico gets the press (3.5 million people vs 100,000 in the VI) but I've had many people tell me that the VI is much worse then PR. That was part of the decision to move the event. We have the funding to repair the roads and they'll be better than ever but the logistics (people, equipment and materials) will just take time.

We do have a 50m pool on island but I rarely use it with all the amazing ocean swimming we have here.

Keep me posted on your work please!!!

Hey Scott, I have no doubt that Puerto Rico gets way more coverage then you guys in the VI. I think those of us who have been there, were really worried about all of you and things literally being flattened (Minus the beast, you're not moving that rock with some high power wind). It is good to hear that the roads have a budget and will be repaired in due course. The hard part about building roads in St. Croix is that when the rain gets torrential "rivers" appear out of nothing and you have all this mass of water and sand and rock driving down at the roads. I remember racing there in 2013 just after a torrential rain storm. Tom and crew were out with shovels to clear the road of mud/sand/rock. You could see from a distance where this was as the road would turn from black to orange so you knew that you were about to do mountain biking on a tri bike. Frankly the only reason I qualified for Kona was from 15+ years of mountain biking experience and being able to stay up on my bike and not crash and knowing how to ride a bike on gravel and not flat!

Building roads there cannot be easy. You're on the side of a rock for most of the roads, and parts of the road turn to rivers constantly!

I'll communicate offline about my startup, but yes, Islands like yours are a prime "use case".
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix Triathlon is back! [Sfricks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So happy to see this race "back". Loved it last year!

Not sure this years works into my schedule but definitely want to come back to race the "Beauty and the Beast". Any chance in future years you'll move it back to the spring date (May)?

USAT L1 and Youth&Junior Elite - USAC L3 - RRCA
The Cupcake Cartel
Skratch Labs Ambassador - Skratchlete
BOCO Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix Triathlon is back! [Doctor_J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We hope the race director for the May race will rethink and revamp that event. St Croix is an iconic location and there’s room for many multisport races here. We were told there’s “something in the works” and our fingers are crossed.

That said, we think December will be an exceptional time for the race. It should be cooler and we expect a lesser chance of rain. It’s not quite “season” yet so flights and hotels will be cheap. Most of all who wouldn’t want to get out of the snow and race in paradise!!??

Hope to see you there!!!

Scott Fricks, President
Virgin Islands Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sfricks wrote:
We hope the race director for the May race will rethink and revamp that event. St Croix is an iconic location and there’s room for many multisport races here. We were told there’s “something in the works” and our fingers are crossed.

That said, we think December will be an exceptional time for the race. It should be cooler and we expect a lesser chance of rain. It’s not quite “season” yet so flights and hotels will be cheap. Most of all who wouldn’t want to get out of the snow and race in paradise!!??

Hope to see you there!!!

A few of us were wondering if you are doing a Dec race why not over holidays or end of Nov over Thanksgiving. Holidays are hard to take twice in the same month. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Sfricks wrote:
Don't forget about the Buck to Buc in November! 1, 2 & 5 mile ocean swims for every level. Swimming almost daily with turtles, rays, dolphins, etc. Check out wifey's FB for some awesome videos:

Not sure I can pull it off this year as I am crunching away at getting my new tech startup (http://www.bluwave-ai.com) off the ground, but maybe next year!

I've added this to my bucket list. I don't need to repeat the St Croix 70.3, but I've never swam 5 miles and that seems like a doable stretch from 2.4, especially in salt water. Plus, I missed Buck Island when I was last there. I hope I can make it in 2019.
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix Triathlon is back! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our reasoning is this: “Season” in the Caribbean starts 12/15. After that, flights and room rates double. Over Thanksgiving weekend we loose many residents and volunteers to travel. Remember, everything here is on “island time”, right? :) Similarly, Christmas is the start of Carnival on St Croix and many things including many government services actually shut down.

We do understand the whole double vaca thing but we seriously can’t think of a better early Christmas present than a little love from “The Beast”. Early Dec typically presents much nicer weather than May too! As I said before, who doesn’t want to escape the cold and do an awesome race at the same time :)

Scott Fricks, President
Virgin Islands Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sfricks wrote:
Our reasoning is this: “Season” in the Caribbean starts 12/15. After that, flights and room rates double. Over Thanksgiving weekend we loose many residents and volunteers to travel. Remember, everything here is on “island time”, right? :) Similarly, Christmas is the start of Carnival on St Croix and many things including many government services actually shut down.

We do understand the whole double vaca thing but we seriously can’t think of a better early Christmas present than a little love from “The Beast”. Early Dec typically presents much nicer weather than May too! As I said before, who doesn’t want to escape the cold and do an awesome race at the same time :)

Totally understand the reasoning. Does late Feb or Early March work then? Visitors get a vacation and hopefully race does not overlap with regular tourists like at Xmas time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Sfricks wrote:

I've added this to my bucket list. I don't need to repeat the St Croix 70.3, but I've never swam 5 miles and that seems like a doable stretch from 2.4, especially in salt water. Plus, I missed Buck Island when I was last there. I hope I can make it in 2019.

Yes, that 5 mile race from Buc Island to the Buc resort looks like an excellent excuse to go to the Island of St. Croix!
Quote Reply

Prev Next