Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
St. George Roll Call - update; post your RR here!
Quote | Reply
TBT picked up the bike bike, the bags are staged and the taper is on. Time for some chatter from Slowtwitch!

Team Great Scott just aged up into 45-49 and is racing St. George for the second time. Bib 464.

Rumor has it the swim will be chilly with water temps at 60F. Relatively mild air temps of 50-60F should then make for a good day of racing. I'm actually looking forward to those hills after numerous virtual rides of the course in my garage through Trainer Road and Best Bike Split.

Just short of 100 professionals, including plent of Big Names. Team Great Scott is hoping to see Lionel put on a show.

http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz47Rc1kKoA

Who's in? What's on your your mind?

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: May 8, 16 17:09
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Roll Call [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonna be St G #4 for me, last year in 60-64. Yup water temp runs about 60-62 but the air temp is cool for SG, chance of rain too.
Hoping to just make the cut off's this year.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: May 1, 16 20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be there for my 4th time. St. George is the prettiest 70.3 course that I have done so far and I am looking forward to it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes, I get cold but am looking forward to returning after doing the full in 2010 and 2012. I love that race and have been thinking about going back for this race for a few years. Hopefully it will warm up more, as I am coming from Austin and we did not have winter.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In! 25-29M so first wave after the pros go off. Gonna be some stellar competition but looking forward to the challenge!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Roll Call [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes, I get cold but am looking forward to returning after doing the full in 2010 and 2012. I love that race and have been thinking about going back for this race for a few years. Hopefully it will warm up more, as I am coming from Austin and we did not have winter.
---------------------------------
I live in costal SoCal, I think the coldest day I rode (run too) this winter was mid 50's and dry. Generally my winter ride starts out in the upper 50's but as soon as the sun gets on you it's nice. I never ride in wet conditions and only run in the rain if it's a race. My plan is to pack gear for cold/rain and hope I don't need it.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: May 2, 16 6:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for StG number six. Did my first full here and can't stop coming back. It's a little different every year. Never know what you'll get. Always a great venue though, and the crowd support is tops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to utilize that TrainerRoad, Best Bike Split interaction to get prepped for St. George! We're happy to be your training partner along the way. :-)

Good luck out there everyone!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Roll Call [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to live there for 6 years but this is the 1st time racing there. We are getting really lucky with that awesome weather. It could have been high 80's so I'm happy. Hope to do well and carry that into a Boston Qualification in June then Ironman Boulder in August. Visit Zion if you get a chance. Good luck guys.

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick Kanwetz wrote:
Way to utilize that TrainerRoad, Best Bike Split interaction to get prepped for St. George! We're happy to be your training partner along the way. :-)

Yes, Trainer Road and Best Bike Split are the best! My best friend these past months:

Quote Reply
Re: St. George Roll Call [Xatefrogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xatefrogg wrote:
We are getting really lucky with that awesome weather. It could have been high 80's so I'm happy.

Fact! Last year was brutal with highs pushing 90F. I'll take 55F for racing any day. I could do without any rain though. The forecast changes every time I check.

Xatefrogg wrote:
Visit Zion if you get a chance. Good luck guys.

Yes, Zion is the best!

Last edited by: GreatScott: May 2, 16 15:42
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Roll Call [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
In! 25-29M so first wave after the pros go off. Gonna be some stellar competition but looking forward to the challenge!

Bridge the gap and get on Lionel's feet! That's the last time you'll see him.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
doublea334 wrote:

Bridge the gap and get on Lionel's feet! That's the last time you'll see him.

Scott

Haha! Too bad I'm an even slower swimmer.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Nick Kanwetz wrote:

Yes, Trainer Road and Best Bike Split are the best! My best friend these past months:

Is this a workout published/available in the TR library?
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Roll Call [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a custom workout created through an interface with Best Bike Split. I don't believe custom workouts are available to other users. Nick (above) can clarify whether I am correct. If that is the case, then perhaps we can campaign to have Trainer Road publish the course (and others!).

If you are not familiar with Best Bike Split, this is a cool example of what that app can do for you. Basically, I uploaded a GPS track of the bike course and BBS created a power plan based on 84% of my FTP. Importing that plan to Trainer Road created the workout you see here. I suck at computers, and it took me 30 minutes all in. The proof will come Saturday, but I feel riding the course virtually was a great way to prepare. Particularly considering all the variability of that course. It's nice to know when to push, and how hard, and still have legs for the run (which is no picnic!).

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I did a search in TR for "St. George" and "George" -- nothing came up, but it's moot at this point since the race is coming up in a few days. I'll definitely look into the BBS app for future training, thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was posted on FB today.

Good Morning Athletes,
Things here in St. George are starting to come together and we are excited to see you all in a few days. In case you haven't checked the weather forecast we are currently expecting cooler temperatures and potential moisture. While in southern Utah this forecast can change daily I wanted to let know so that you can bring appropriate clothing for cooler temperatures, moisture, or heat. Let the plane, train, or automobile carry the gear and avoid the "I w...ish I packed" thoughts race morning.
Take care and we will see you at the Start Line!
Dave Reid
IRONMAN 70.3 St. George Race Director

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for St. George. Rolling down from Boulder on Friday.

Bib #294
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Roll Call [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
This was posted on FB today.

Good Morning Athletes,
Things here in St. George are starting to come together and we are excited to see you all in a few days. In case you haven't checked the weather forecast we are currently expecting cooler temperatures and potential moisture. While in southern Utah this forecast can change daily I wanted to let know so that you can bring appropriate clothing for cooler temperatures, moisture, or heat. Let the plane, train, or automobile carry the gear and avoid the "I w...ish I packed" thoughts race morning.
Take care and we will see you at the Start Line!
Dave Reid
IRONMAN 70.3 St. George Race Director

Every time I check the forecast, things change. Hot, or cold. Wet, or dry. Clear enough! I see today was sunny and 90F. Things change fast in those parts!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spool wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
Nick Kanwetz wrote:

Is this a workout published/available in the TR library?

Nick,

Can you answer this question? Is it possible to share custom workouts? Too late in this case, but would be nice down the road.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Roll Call [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
I'm in for St. George. Rolling down from Boulder on Friday.

Bib #294

Rock on. I'll keep an eye out for you as I head out on the run (you'll be coming home). Looking forward to seeing how your first year as a collegiate translates to the 70.3!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every time I check the forecast, things change. Hot, or cold. Wet, or dry. Clear enough! I see today was sunny and 90F. Things change fast in those parts!
------------------
I've been following the weather in SG since I noticed we were going to get a cold rain here in SoCal Fri/Sat. The rain has been on and off but the temps have been holding in high 40's in the morning with a high in the mid 60's. But I'm hoping for no rain and a little warmer. I'm packing a light wt wind breaker for sure and I'll be wearing it on the bike, I hate being cold.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott
Nate can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the only way to share workouts like this is to create a team in Trainerroad, and then team members can upload custom workouts they have created. I had found another rider who built a St George course and he was kind enough to share it with me. This course above looks really good as well. I would be interested in getting it out there as a team if possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden St George in lots of temps, if it is really 52 to 55 degrees when we get out of the water it is going to be a chilly ride. I just finished packing for the drive tomorrow and threw all kinds of stuff in. I am most likely wearing tri-suit, arm warmers, leg warmers (maybe), full gloves, and toe covers for my shoes. It takes me a long time to warm up after swimming Sand Hollow and I hate being cold. I raced the full in '11 and '12, and the half in '14 and '15. I don't recall having the air temp this cool coming out of the water in any of those years. On the bright side, the run will be amazing if it is 65 to 70 degrees. In 2011 it was over 90 when I started the marathon and all of us later finishers were cooked!

If you haven't already heard, the chip seal from the lake in to Hurricane is really bad. If you don't have everything tied and tightened down it WILL rattle and fall off your bike. Don't take a chance.

I think the course change on the bike is going to make a huge difference this year by cutting out the out and back past the golf course/park and the strange part in Snow Canyon last year. The new section just past the turn up to Snow Canyon and back is FAST.

If you are seeing this area for the first time, do not miss the chance to take in the scenery as you ride. St George is truly an amazing place. Watch for the colors to change from the deep red to white stone as you climb Snow Canyon.

There is a great mexican restaurant called Cafe Rio over by the Dicks Sporting Goods. Also, for post race treats there is a place on St. George Blvd called Nielsens Frozen Custard. Go there and get a 'concrete'. Best ice cream ever.

Be sure to thank the volunteers, they are some of the best I've seen at any race. Lots of youth out there trying to do their best. I saw an athlete scream at a teenager last year for missing a water bottle handoff. Totally uncalled for.

If your family / race support is looking for a good place to spectate, I really like mile one of the run course. If they camp out there for a bit, they will see you come in on the bike and then out on the run. The T2 area can get really packed and mile one is a little more spread out.

Have fun and race safe, this is an amazing event!
Last edited by: jbflyfisher: May 3, 16 22:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for St. George. Flying out from Philadelphia tomorrow morning.

Not expecting a world beating performance due to ongoing injury issues, but can't wait to get out there and enjoy the day nonetheless

See you all out there on the course!
Quote Reply

Prev Next