Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St. George 70.3 Wheelset
Quote | Reply
Hey there,

I'll be doing my first 70.3 at St. George this May. I have two wheelsets that I could use on my tri bike for the race, but not sure which might be better. I was wondering if I could hear opinions:

Set #1
Carbon Clinchers
88mm rear/60mm front
Conti Attack/Force tires w/ latex tubes
Weight: ~1500 grams

Set #2
Carbon Tubulars
50mm front and rear
Conti GP4000SII (butyl)
Weight: ~1300 grams

Both have similar quality hubs/spokes (DT Swiss with Sapim CX-Ray spokes)

My thoughts originally were to go with the lighter tubulars (set #2) due to climbs, and also the shallower rims to handle winds. But lately I've read quite a bit where people say the 100-200 grams weight difference is too small to consider, and that often times, aero trumps weight anyway. So now I am leaning towards set #1. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: St. George 70.3 Wheelset [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the poster above. Run your carbon clinchers w/ latex tubes...aero will trump weight for almost all triathlons you do in the US Here's a good article on the topic

Also, think about the ease of use with your clinchers. Be sure that you take your time and do a good job installing your latex tubes and bring a butyl as your spare since the CO2 will diffuse through the latex and not inflate. If you get a flat before the race on your tubulars...that's not fun!

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Quote Reply
Re: St. George 70.3 Wheelset [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the opinions! Sounds like I was somewhat on the right track.

That's a good point about the ease of use, too.
Quote Reply
Re: St. George 70.3 Wheelset [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing St George as well - I have a different but somewhat similar conundrum - choosing between 2 power meters that are 100g difference in weight and $400 in price. For reference I am about 6'2" 175 lb..

I added this extra 100g weight to my bike on a BestBikeSplit simulation for the St George course and it said I would average 0.01 mph (not a typo) slower which translates into 2 whole seconds slower. I'll take the $400...

Also a good blog post on Flo's site: http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...-aero-vs-weight.html

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: St. George 70.3 Wheelset [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be so concerned about power meter weight. Just get power and train hard with it

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: St. George 70.3 Wheelset [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was more about the weight of the crankset that comes with the power meter.. but yes I agree. In general though I was just curious as to, "everything else held constant, if I increase the weight of my bike by xx I will go yy slower" on a particular course especially one with 4000+ ft of elevation gain.

Strava
Quote Reply