Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sprint distance draft legal duathlon
Quote | Reply
Talk to me about sprint distance draft legal duathlon. The worlds qualifier is in New Orleans in November. I've never done a du, or any type of bike only race, but toying with the idea of doing this since it's only 3 hours away and run and bike are my strengths (in that order).

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint distance draft legal duathlon [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just "Du" it. :) I have done 4 Du's this season. Was fun to do something different and not have to worry about the swim.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a road bike, no aerobars and you are set.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Talk to me about sprint distance draft legal duathlon. The worlds qualifier is in New Orleans in November. I've never done a du, or any type of bike only race, but toying with the idea of doing this since it's only 3 hours away and run and bike are my strengths (in that order).

If you're looking to do well in the field, the main goal is to be up with the leaders on the bike. Being ahead of them is a bit of a waste of energy b/c a group will catch you on the bike, so only push hard enough on the first run to stay with the lead run pack, if there is one. Make sure your transitions are dialed in really well. This is crucial, especially T1 to make sure you get out on the bike with others in the group. You only have to be a few seconds behind the others to be dropped completely and then lose minutes on the bike. I can't reiterate this enough... T1 can make or break your whole race, especially if you're a stronger runner. Practice, practice practice your transitions. Flying mount/dismount...

Also, if you have not done much group riding you should get some practice in. Learn how to draft safely in a pack, staying relaxed and not touching your brakes (which makes others nervous of you) and also how to paceline properly. Go on group rides and ask questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint distance draft legal duathlon [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a race this short I highly recommend these.
http://pyroplatforms.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:

You'll need a standard road bike, no clip ons, spoked wheels with a minimum of 20 spokes. You can use 404/606 type wheels but no tri spokes or discs. If you're a good runner in your age group the race is custom made for you. I haven't seen the final course yet but there's a decent little overpass by the venue that they'll likely use to break up the packs but I don't know how many laps they're going to settle down on. I've heard everything from 2 to 4 laps and the RD was busy last weekend putting on the NYC Tri so I didn't want to pester him. The rest of the course is dead flat. The field isn't usually as deep as in triathlon, the top end guys are as fast but the drop off is much quicker as is evident by the fact that I've qualified 4-5 times for World's.

Every night that I run, the thought crosses my mind that there's no way in hell I'll still be running a month from now.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint distance draft legal duathlon [jsquared] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsquared wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

You'll need a standard road bike, no clip ons, spoked wheels with a minimum of 20 spokes. You can use 404/606 type wheels but no tri spokes or discs. If you're a good runner in your age group the race is custom made for you. I haven't seen the final course yet but there's a decent little overpass by the venue that they'll likely use to break up the packs but I don't know how many laps they're going to settle down on. I've heard everything from 2 to 4 laps and the RD was busy last weekend putting on the NYC Tri so I didn't want to pester him. The rest of the course is dead flat. The field isn't usually as deep as in triathlon, the top end guys are as fast but the drop off is much quicker as is evident by the fact that I've qualified 4-5 times for World's.

We were told they would never have the DL race over 2 laps.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Sprint distance draft legal duathlon [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
We were told they would never have the DL race over 2 laps.

I heard that but one of the websites, either USAT or PEM's, had some errant information about doing up to 4 laps. I'd be happy with 2, I'm not the best of climbers.

Every night that I run, the thought crosses my mind that there's no way in hell I'll still be running a month from now.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint distance draft legal duathlon [jsquared] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info guys. Yeah I have an S2 and would use my 404's. My main concern is riding in a pack. Any idea how big the M 40-44 age group would be?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
My main concern is riding in a pack.

Definitely get out on some group rides and learn to be comfortable riding close to others. Look well in front of you to anticipate what others are likely to do, as opposed to staring at the back of the guy in front of you. Keep your upper body loose and relaxed, maintain your momentum. 'Brake' by sitting up in the wind first, then covering your brakes (without squeezing them) second, and only actually brake when absolutely necessary. Try to avoid overlapping wheels with the person right in front of you. Don't suddenly stand on climbs. Maintain momentum. Use downhills to pick up extra speed if there is an immediate uphill after it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. Yeah I have an S2 and would use my 404's. My main concern is riding in a pack. Any idea how big the M 40-44 age group would be?

I just do not believe there will be much "pack" riding. This is not crit racing where everyone starts the same time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:

I don't think it will be that big. Checking the results, the similar event last year in Clermont only had 7. However, the number that's really going to matter is how many people in your starting wave. If they break the men up into 2 or more waves, you may be looking at a starting group of 30 to 40 people, or 70+ with one wave. Realistically, you're not not going to see the large packs common in criterium or other mass-start cycling races, but I do expect that there will be a fair amount of riding in small to medium-sized groups. My experience with the same format at the worlds in Avilés was that most people found themselves in packs of 5 to 15 people. With a smaller field size, I'd think it will end up as lots of groups of 3 to 4 people, with bigger groups forming as the weaker runners but stronger cyclists begin to roll up the back of the field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I don't know. It depends on the starting numbers. I've done a couple of draft legal tris and there's usually some pack dynamics going on - people grouping up, some chasing to get on, even (gasp) some informal chaingangs. The packs weren't massive (from memory 10 was the biggest out of about 60 starters). I felt I benefitted from Tues Night WC with roadies and a little crit experience, and you could tell who'd spent the winter training alone.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint distance draft legal duathlon [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Oh, I don't know. It depends on the starting numbers. I've done a couple of draft legal tris and there's usually some pack dynamics going on - people grouping up, some chasing to get on, even (gasp) some informal chaingangs. The packs weren't massive (from memory 10 was the biggest out of about 60 starters). I felt I benefitted from Tues Night WC with roadies and a little crit experience, and you could tell who'd spent the winter training alone.

I have done a few DL races myself, and helped at many others. What I found for myself, and saw helping, was the stronger bikers still rode away from the weaker bikers,
even with it being DL.

Now, if one is doing a DL race at a worlds level or talent, then things might get a little more interesting, but still, there is so much drafting happening today at races and we never hear about huge bike pile ups.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True, I doubt that pile ups would happen any more than usual, but I was talking about people not being able to hold a wheel / yo-yoing off the back, cornering in a pack, being twitchy riding in a reasonably sized pack, or not being able to ride straight. Oh, and getting all bitchy when they get shouted at because they're not contributing (yes, yes, I know they don't have to, but shut up and take the abuse if you're not).

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a format that benefits the top runners, the biking nears irrelvancy. The best a strong biker can hope for is to catch the leaders....after that they just glue to your wheel and we all come into T2 together. As a result, there is little value in hammering the bike, since pretty much by definition anyone who catches you from behind isn't a threat during the second run. Unlike draft-legal tris where you have to keep the bike pace high enough to make sure the poorer swimmers/stronger runners don't bridge up.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint distance draft legal duathlon [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
True, I doubt that pile ups would happen any more than usual, but I was talking about people not being able to hold a wheel / yo-yoing off the back, cornering in a pack, being twitchy riding in a reasonably sized pack, or not being able to ride straight. Oh, and getting all bitchy when they get shouted at because they're not contributing (yes, yes, I know they don't have to, but shut up and take the abuse if you're not).

What you describe is what I think about on a crit course. Not sure a DL DU or Tri will have that type of bike course.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in doing the Tri and if I do commit, I might as well do the du as well. I'd like to see draft legal races more frequently. Now, I need to get a road bike!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At Cozumel this year it's basically a 1 lap out and back so total turns for the DL sprint is going to be 8 turns. 4 of those turns will be half roundabout turns. They've done everything they can to limit all issues on the bike. Does include 1 180* turn but that's about it.

Much easier course than the Clermont qualifying race.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: Brooks Doughtie: Jul 27, 16 6:23
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint distance draft legal duathlon [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
At Cozumel this year it's basically a 1 lap out and back so total turns for the DL sprint is going to be 8 turns. 4 of those turns will be half roundabout turns. They've done everything they can to limit all issues on the bike. Does include 1 180* turn but that's about it.

Much easier course than the Clermont qualifying race.

USAT said the Clermont DL course did not work very well, which is why they are changing things

Quote Reply
Re: Sprint distance draft legal duathlon [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:
I'm interested in doing the Tri and if I do commit, I might as well do the du as well. I'd like to see draft legal races more frequently. Now, I need to get a road bike!

I have the same issue, no decent road bike. I have an old one but which would it look like if I showed up to race with an old bike? :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ha yes I understand. AG draft legal racing whether du or Tri simply can't be on multi lap courses due to fairness and lap out rules.

So I can see why USAT and ITU will make all DL races on 1 loop courses most of time.

Also means you can set wave starts 10/15 mins apart and get more races in within a shorter window.

But Clermont is a great venue, just not for single loop bike course. But it's the perfect multiple lap bike loops for other ITU events.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint distance draft legal duathlon [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can somebody please post a course description for this race? I can't find any specific information about it online. The only thing I can find is the active.com signup page. A race webpage maybe?
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint distance draft legal duathlon [farney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
farney wrote:
Can somebody please post a course description for this race? I can't find any specific information about it online. The only thing I can find is the active.com signup page. A race webpage maybe?

For which race? Information about the NOLA DL races are here (USAT website). There's a link to the race director's website but there isn't any specific course information, yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint distance draft legal duathlon [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is for the DL Triathlon. I want info on the Duathlon. I just can't believe that 3 months out there is so little information available.....
Quote Reply

Prev Next