Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sprint Interval Training - a planned self experiment
Quote | Reply
After doing IMNZ earlier this year and suffering a bad hamstring tendon injury, I've stopped riding/running since March and have been lifting weights in the gym 5 days per week. I'm actually about to do a physique competition in just under three weeks, after putting about 10kg of mass on (approx 5-6kg of lean mass) post Ironman.

Anyway, I've been thinking about the standard approach to endurance training - more volume is better - type of thinking. I've decided to do a small self experiment using only 3 days per week of sprint interval training to prep for a two day long bike ride with friends up some big mountain passes. The two days are about 130-150km each and contain around 3,500m of climbing each day.

I will have a total of 9 weeks from the finish of the physique competition to the weekend we go away for the ride. I'll do a 20 minute indoor power test the first week and another one the week of the ride, 9 weeks later. In that time I'll be following the below training protocol, which I have read up on in a number of research papers.

Mon/Wed/Fri: 10 min Z2 warm up, then 4-6 x 45 second all out sprints with 4.5 min recovery between, 5 min Z2 cool down

That's it, no long rides, just sprint intervals. I'll also be keeping on with 5 weight sessions in the gym per week.

Any bets on 1) what sort of power improvement I'll see from week 1 - week 9 of the training, and 2) how I'll fare on the two day ride?

Longer term if this works, I'm thinking of extending the mini experiment to a longer term one. Incorporating running and swimming and aiming for about 6 months of this and doing a 70.3!
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Interval Training - a planned self experiment [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea whether or not your power will go up. I do know that for sprint intervals 4.5 minutes after a 45 second interval is way too long. Recovery is usually no more than double the interval time and it's often the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rock wrote:
After doing IMNZ earlier this year and suffering a bad hamstring tendon injury, I've stopped riding/running since March and have been lifting weights in the gym 5 days per week. I'm actually about to do a physique competition in just under three weeks, after putting about 10kg of mass on (approx 5-6kg of lean mass) post Ironman.

Anyway, I've been thinking about the standard approach to endurance training - more volume is better - type of thinking. I've decided to do a small self experiment using only 3 days per week of sprint interval training to prep for a two day long bike ride with friends up some big mountain passes. The two days are about 130-150km each and contain around 3,500m of climbing each day.

I will have a total of 9 weeks from the finish of the physique competition to the weekend we go away for the ride. I'll do a 20 minute indoor power test the first week and another one the week of the ride, 9 weeks later. In that time I'll be following the below training protocol, which I have read up on in a number of research papers.

Mon/Wed/Fri: 10 min Z2 warm up, then 4-6 x 45 second all out sprints with 4.5 min recovery between, 5 min Z2 cool down

That's it, no long rides, just sprint intervals. I'll also be keeping on with 5 weight sessions in the gym per week.

Any bets on 1) what sort of power improvement I'll see from week 1 - week 9 of the training, and 2) how I'll fare on the two day ride?

Longer term if this works, I'm thinking of extending the mini experiment to a longer term one. Incorporating running and swimming and aiming for about 6 months of this and doing a 70.3!

1) Power up a lot.

2) Badly

You didn't ask, but there are much more effective ways of executing the strategy you're attempting.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Interval Training - a planned self experiment [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would the more effective ways be? Granted most of the studies use a 30 second sprint interval, if the 45 is too tough I'll drop it to 30 seconds and bring the rest down to 3 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Interval Training - a planned self experiment [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
I have no idea whether or not your power will go up. I do know that for sprint intervals 4.5 minutes after a 45 second interval is way too long. Recovery is usually no more than double the interval time and it's often the same.

Not necessarily. While it's very common to do 1:1 work to recovery for VO2 sessions, 45 seconds "all out" would be at an intensity well above VO2 max. Thus the need for a recovery of more than double the interval time.

The idea behind long recoveries like these are usually to maximize the power you can generate in each interval, not to stress your aerobic endurance (the goal of most triathletes).

With regards to the OP, I'm a firm believer in specificity of training. I think doing this program will improve your 45 second power, but not necessarily your 20 minute power (unless your current 20 minute power was measured when you were untrained). It's likely you'll see improvements in your power profile across all times within 20 seconds to 3 minutes, but I'd be surprised to see significant improvements outside of this range.

I definitely wouldn't expect to be comfortable on a multi-day tour of those durations. Previous endurance training in your legs will probably be more impactful on the trip than the fitness gained from this sprinting program.
Last edited by: jakobsandberg: Sep 6, 17 19:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rock wrote:
What would the more effective ways be? Granted most of the studies use a 30 second sprint interval, if the 45 is too tough I'll drop it to 30 seconds and bring the rest down to 3 minutes.

Periodize and build your training progressively. That would include *some* sprints but not all sprints. To only do one type of workout is unnecessarily reductive, no matter what Tabata or Coggan might lead you to believe.

If you want a one size fits all solution, Time Crunched Cyclist is pretty effective for how ridiculously simple it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Interval Training - a planned self experiment [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I've done the periodised model, that's how I trained for my IM and the few 70.3's before hand. That's not the intent of this experiment, I'm aiming to use sprint interval training to try and generate an uplift in aerobic capacity and endurance.

If this works short term (9 weeks), I'll look to donit long term (6 months or more) and prep for a 70.3 with it. I cannot find any studies on sprint interval training that last longer than about 12 weeks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
rock wrote:

Periodize and build your training progressively. That would include *some* sprints but not all sprints. To only do one type of workout is unnecessarily reductive, no matter what Tabata or Coggan might lead you to believe.

If you want a one size fits all solution, Time Crunched Cyclist is pretty effective for how ridiculously simple it is.

Ditto. To do the same workout 3 times per week EVERY week for 9 weeks is pretty extreme. I imagine you'll start to get diminishing returns after just a couple of weeks because your body will adapt to the specific workload.
Quote Reply