Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Spinning Class vs. Trainer Workout
Quote | Reply
I'm new to triathlon and ultimately trying to keep it as simple as possible. So if I already belong to a gym, why don't I just attend the spinning class? Why is a trainer at home worth the expense and trouble? And at a spinning class you won't get bored or lose track of your workout. What am I missing? Is it that the workouts are really different? Is it really important to use your tri bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Spinning Class vs. Trainer Workout [alpaca61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My gym has several styles of spin class available. I did not like any of them because there's a lot of standing up cycling that I didn't like and some high cadence (~130rpm) stretches that I also didn't like. And although the spin class cyles had powermeters the instructor seemed more focused on us turning the resistance knob.

I also don't like the music and the rigid start time and the can't arrive late rules.

My gym does, however, have two CycleOps indoor training bikes with a powermeter. The powermeter seems accurate or at least consistent.

Currently, I do at least 3 one-hour long workouts a week. 2 are hard intervals and 1 is a zone 2 ride. I plan on adding a few sessions in the next couple months.

The gym has wifi so I can listen to spotify.

The drawback to the gym trainer bike is that adjusting my position is time consuming and I'm not sure if I get it to exactly fit.

And occasionally funny things happen such as the gym personnel mixing up the bike computers so that your effort is displayed on the bike next to you and vice versa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll get more from a well-structured trainer workout than you will a spin class, but well-structured is the key. Getting on the trainer and just grinding away will provide benefits, but not as much as planning bike time.

With the winter season coming though, putting one or two spin classes a week sounds like a fine idea to me. The change of scenery, other people, the ability to just listen to the instructor rather than focusing solely on how much riding a trainer sucks. I would use them for interval / threshold work; it was easier to push with all the yelling and loud music.

I have told spin instructors that I would NOT be exactly following their workouts - like all the standing. I usually go for an out-of-the-way bike so it's not so obvious and I'm not disruptive. I've never had an instructor give me a hard time about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Spinning Class vs. Trainer Workout [Nil Admirari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nil Admirari wrote:

I also don't like the music and the rigid start time and the can't arrive late rules.

Why can't you just be on time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do both indoor trainer and a compu-trainer class and I use them differently. On my trainer I do a mixed of steady state rides and some higher intensity work, especially on days when I am crunched for time. I occasionally go to a compu-trainer class (Shift-SF) that is coached by a former pro-triathlete (Tyler Stewart). This class focuses on higher intensity work, technique, and bicycle strength work.

While I often prefer to do my own work in my garage I have found that these focused compu-trainer classes offer value in the form of performance gains, learning, technique, and camaraderie ("misery" loves company). If you can find something like this in your area, I highly suggest checking it out. I am not sure I would recommend a generic spin class that doesn't offer this type of specificity. Not all spin classes are created equal.

If you only have access to a generic spin class at a local fitness center, you are probably better off with a trainer at home doing structured trainer workouts. I love my Wahoo Kickr with imobileintervals on ERG mode.
Last edited by: samgager: Nov 7, 14 10:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spin class if you like the social aspect, but I don't like all the standing and the bikes aren't that great. Indoor trainer at home is just more convenient(no specific times), more structured(trainer road or other software), and you get to use your own bike. Only drawback to indoor training is if you live in an apartment with noise restrictions.
Quote Reply
Re: Spinning Class vs. Trainer Workout [benjpi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benjpi wrote:
You'll get more from a well-structured trainer workout than you will a spin class, but well-structured is the key. Getting on the trainer and just grinding away will provide benefits, but not as much as planning bike time.

With the winter season coming though, putting one or two spin classes a week sounds like a fine idea to me. The change of scenery, other people, the ability to just listen to the instructor rather than focusing solely on how much riding a trainer sucks. I would use them for interval / threshold work; it was easier to push with all the yelling and loud music.

I have told spin instructors that I would NOT be exactly following their workouts - like all the standing. I usually go for an out-of-the-way bike so it's not so obvious and I'm not disruptive. I've never had an instructor give me a hard time about it.

This.

Especially if you can find spin classes taught by actual cyclists or triathletes who don't do all the gimmicky BS (typically lots of super high cadence and up/down). Then you get endurance sessions, threshold, etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just follow it up with a Zumba class and call it a brick. It's all the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Spinning Class vs. Trainer Workout [GrisGris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of gimmicky BS, I have attended one spin class and vowed never to go again. I was excited and motivated to discover that the ship I'm deployed on offered a spin class that fit my work schedule. The first time I tried to go, I was 5 minutes early and couldn't get a bike. Damn!! So the next time I showed up 15 minutes early, grabbed one of the last bikes available for some light warming up. The instructor put on music, started the class, and immediately got the class out of the saddle. They remained out of the saddle for the ENTIRE HOUR-LONG CLASS. I say they, because after 3 minutes, I sat back down and just focused on spinning. In addition to the incredibly ineffective training, this "trainer" would yell, "WOooooooo!" like a teenage girl at a Bieber concert, or "Go, Go, Go, Go, Go, Go, Go, Go!!" over and over again. I wanted to slap her.

In short, I am the Grinch that Hates Spinning...but I'm sure as shit never going again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the class and instructor. The hour goes by faster for sure. No one knows how hard your working with the resistance knob, so you can make it as hard or as easy as you want. I like to turn up the resistance till I can smell the pads burning on climbs. It's a pretty good interval workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alpaca61 wrote:
I'm new to triathlon and ultimately trying to keep it as simple as possible. So if I already belong to a gym, why don't I just attend the spinning class? Why is a trainer at home worth the expense and trouble? And at a spinning class you won't get bored or lose track of your workout. What am I missing? Is it that the workouts are really different? Is it really important to use your tri bike?

The only things in biking that stink more than sitting on a trainer at home are crashing on your bike and getting your bike ripped off so I would avoid the home training method at all costs. Yes, some people might say that the home trainer provides a "more structured" environment, etc. I say nonsense as it ignores the larger point that cycling is supposed to be fun and sititng on a trainer at home is not fun at all.

Spinning classes on the other hand can be fun,and there is a social aspect to it as well. A winning combination. The only minus I can think of for spinning might be the cost, but if your pockets are deep enough and the weather sucks, for sure go for the spinning class.
Quote Reply
Re: Spinning Class vs. Trainer Workout [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spin classes are crap for tri training. trust me I teach them.
unless they are fully structured with measured HR it's bs.
most are 50 min not enough time for anything anyway.
I do agree that social aspects may include meeting a lot of stay at home moms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, its the simple convenience!
Quote Reply
Re: Spinning Class vs. Trainer Workout [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you would be doing anyway. If you know how to train and have the kit at home - then yes - train yourself.

If the other option is sitting on the sofa - go for the spin class.

(and if the instructor is doing stupid things - dont be afraid to do your own thing)
Quote Reply
Re: Spinning Class vs. Trainer Workout [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most instructors do stupid things.
My spin classes are mostly in the seat
With occasional climbing, took me a while to
Get my people to understand there are
No jumps in cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
spin classes are crap for tri training. trust me I teach them.
unless they are fully structured with measured HR it's bs.
most are 50 min not enough time for anything anyway.
I do agree that social aspects may include meeting a lot of stay at home moms.

You're just doing it wrong then. Just go as hard as you want, don't stand or do any foolish motions, and it can be a utter hammerfest for 50 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Spinning Class vs. Trainer Workout [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a bunch of triathletes maybe
Not regular gym rats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
With a bunch of triathletes maybe
Not regular gym rats

You don't need fellow triathletes to hammer. I've done these spin classes with mostly grannies in the room, and I went hard enough to nearly pass out. It's all what you put into it. Of course, it's more fun and easier to motivate if it's a tri-specific class but it's still more fun than spinning in my basement solo without a movie.
Quote Reply
Re: Spinning Class vs. Trainer Workout [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go for spinning only for the social aspect of it.
For me, the trainer is way better for structured workout and using the same bike I use in tri helps too.
Each have their advantages, try both and see what works for you!

Free Indoor Cycling Software - https://maximumtrainer.com
Last edited by: MaximumTrainer: Nov 8, 14 18:36
Quote Reply
Re: Spinning Class vs. Trainer Workout [MaximumTrainer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Combination of both. Spin class can motivate you to push harder and maintain the effort since others are around and instructor is looking out over the group. Using a trainer will help you get or maintain the feel for your own ride. Benefits to both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alpaca61 wrote:

I just go to spin classes for the music/social experience...and to stare at asses. Since I got my Wahoo Kickr, I haven't been to one. May incorporate it once per week at some point, for the asses of course.

Also, I don't usually do what the instructor says. I'm paying to be there, I do what I want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most instructors do stupid things.
My spin classes are mostly in the seat
With occasional climbing, took me a while to
Get my people to understand there are
No jumps in cycling

I bet you are packing them in with that attitude....perhaps you have lost focus as to who the customer is and why they are there?

CJ
Slow, 2x IM
Quote Reply
Post deleted by PcB [ In reply to ]
Re: Spinning Class vs. Trainer Workout [paulcburton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggest checking out the spin classes you are interested in taking. Some instructors and classes are excellent. Some not so much. They can be beneficial. I would check them out before you rule them out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next