Anyone use or see this yet
http://www.speedplay.com/...me.zerowalkablecleat

Zero aero walkable from speedplay looks loke it goes over your current cleat

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buddy of mine that uses speedplay picked up a set today. It's a whole new cleat with a cover, it does not fit over the existing zero cleat. Looked good and seems like a lower stack height but I only looked at them briefly.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [willembad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Speedplay website would seem to suggest that the cover is available alone for $20 or the full cleat and cover for $65.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [mstyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It could be but the one I took apart today had a different cleat under the rubber cover. I'll try to take pictures of it tomorrow and post here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will speedplay also be making the aero pedal piece? It looked like there was a snap-on, slightly rounded piece, for one side of the pedal that was part of the whole aero pedal system that was promoted at Interbike.

It had dimples.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe you have to initially purchase new cleats with the covers because the shape is altered to accommodate them, but you can then buy the covers separately thereafter as they wear. At $20, they're cheaper than new cleats. Looks like the plugs are sold separately for $7.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I believe you have to initially purchase new cleats with the covers because the shape is altered to accommodate them, but you can then buy the covers separately thereafter as they wear. At $20, they're cheaper than new cleats. Looks like the plugs are sold separately for $7.

From the pic on their site the pedal base does in fact seem to be entirely different, the 20 bucks for the cover threw me at first until I saw that.

Found a shop with them in stock heading there after work to pick them up. The ones on my tri shoes are almost 6 years old so not much of an excuse needed to upgrade. The part that will suck is the 40 mile drive there.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in a bike shop last weekend and the owner told me that you have to replace the whole cleats. I have the coffee stop covers (forget the exact name) but plan to swap to these next time I need to.

He also said the aero savings from the cleat is just noise so difficult to confirm if any performance benefit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a theory on why the red one costs more. Looks exactly the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is good to know, i wish you did not have to buy new cleats to use these

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's on the "to-do" list. Might get done next week actually.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
definitely buying these!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a call from the not so local bike shop that they had them in stock the tuesday after my race, of course.

Since they are a little out of the way I headed down saturday with the lady for some lunch, costco, cheap MD fuel and grab the cleats.

Have not installed them yet but I like them, seem well built for the most part but I can see getting the cover on possibly being a little tricky to install especially if you used them direct 4 bolt (I'm not).

Should be installing them sometime this week I'll snap some before and after pics, I haven't even unpacked my tri bike from PR yet so hopefully testing these will be motivation.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Anyone have a theory on why the red one costs more. Looks exactly the same.

Red are for the Pave pedals according to the link.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [Dunbar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
finally mounted up.

engagement feels slightly softer, less audible but my guess is that is only due to the rubber absorbing some of the vibrations.

Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a 'review' thread on the WeightWeenies site in which the OP indicated the new covers are not as durable as the keep on covers and fall off rather easily. Frown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep-on-covers fall off too. I've had to circle back to pick one up, more than a few times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your walking in your cycling shoes, i suggest the aero effect will be marginalized ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
Will speedplay also be making the aero pedal piece? It looked like there was a snap-on, slightly rounded piece, for one side of the pedal that was part of the whole aero pedal system that was promoted at Interbike.

It had dimples.

I have the same question. At, interbike, there was a pedal also, with a dimpeled cover on one of the sides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting, but I'm looking at some time lapse pictures I took once of my position on the bike and I'm not convinced that my cleats ever actually see the wind, with my toes pointing down the amount they do*. I am at a steep seat tube angle, so I toe down even with my ankle at not much more than 90 degrees, as a result of my knee being further forward if you get me. So I'm struggling to see the aero part of the design here, or maybe it just won't work for me. Perhaps the difference in stack height and the position changes that can be enabled by that, but will the faring do very much at all?

*perhaps my saddle is too high ;-)
Last edited by: knighty76: Apr 15, 15 2:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ck21trhc wrote:
Anyone use or see this yet
http://www.speedplay.com/...me.zerowalkablecleat

Zero aero walkable from speedplay looks loke it goes over your current cleat

Just got a new pair of Shimano R-321's and added the new speedplay walkable pedals. I have been using speedplay zeroes for years now and would say they feel the same. Slight tactile difference is slipping in but that is just because the pedal is hitting rubber in place of metal. They are holding fine and if you wanted to could just add some light glue to make sure they stay on. I ride 300-350mpw and have had them on for a month and they have not budged. It is easier to walk in but i also rarely walk in my shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Interesting, but I'm looking at some time lapse pictures I took once of my position on the bike and I'm not convinced that my cleats ever actually see the wind, with my toes pointing down the amount they do*.

I'm sort of in the same boat, I doubt these will make a difference at all I just happened to be in need of new cleats so why not these.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
Keep-on-covers fall off too. I've had to circle back to pick one up, more than a few times.
I will agree about the older style covers, but the new Z3 covers fit much tighter and my wife has yet to have one come off her shoes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply

Prev Next