Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedplay pedal differences...
Quote | Reply
In the market for new pedals (and shoes) and am leaning toward Speedplay because I like a lot of float and have read good reviews. Coming from a set of Crank Bros Quattros that I've had since 2005.

In searching for 30 minutes around the web, I can't find anything that explains the difference between the different types of Speedplay pedals- X Series, Zero, Light Action, etc. Can someone give me the Reader's Digest version? I need a slightly longer than normal spindle with plenty of float. I don't care about aero or getting the most expensive pedals...just a quality pedal in a mid-price range. Thanks in advance!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedal differences... [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedal differences... [joshuaforty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I saw that page, but didn't spend enough time to see the obvious! Ugh!

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One difference between X and Zero that I don't think is mentioned on Speedplay's pages is that X need to be completely clean, while Zero handles a bit dirt (as you can get in your cleats when running with the shoes).
Normally X also works well, but not recommended for triathlon if you don't start with them fixed to the pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's something that even the bike shop that sold my wife 2 pairs last year didn't know: They're not compatible with each other.

She got the last two sets in stock. One was Light Action and one was Zero. The cleats between those 2 sets aren't compatible. (i.e. put one set of cleats on one pair of shoes, can't be used on both sets of pedals).

I still can't remember which one she ended up sticking with, but she eventually dumped it, because she didn't like them - too hard to clip in/out.

Another bike shop said that one set (and I know I'm not being much help here), is usually more difficult for women, since it requires significant force to properly click in -- those were the ones she was using.

Another interesting thing... and again, I can't remember which set this was, had a big sticker on it: Not suitable for Road Racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced with both X and Zero in tris. Both worked fine and I'm a firm believer in NOT clipping the shoes to the bike and doing idiotic flying starts. Never once had a problem.

Re: Speedplay pedal differences... [bx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Light Action are labeled not suitable for road racing. I suppose that's true if you have tree trunks for legs but I used LA until this summer on both my bikes and never had any real issues. The one issue I did have was not greasing them frequently enough and wearing out the bearings. I switched to Zeros this summer because my LBS didn't have any LA in stock unless I wanted pink or red, so I took the Zero plunge and I like them much better. With the Zeros I feel much more "clamped" onto the pedal, yet still have plenty of float (I backed the limit screws all the way out).

I have never ridden the X so I'm no help there.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedal differences... [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried speedplay pedals twice and had bad experiences. Both time the bearings failed and I had a bunch of people tell me "YOU NEED TO GREASE THEM" even though they failed before 2000 miles which is when speedplay tells you to grease them. Anyway back to Look and never looking back.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedal differences... [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is what happened to mine....I can not get the pedal to spin around the spindle. It happened last year and I washed them and sprayed them with WD-40 and they started working again. I did the same thing this time, but I could not get them working. Since this has happened to you, I am wondering if it is possible/worthwhile to fix them? How much did it cost - or did you just decide to replace them? Mine are probably about 5 years old.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedal differences... [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Get Look Keos and you will never have to think about your pedals again. Time or shimano also probably ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not 100% positive but I don't think you can replace the bearings in the Light Actions. I tore them apart the first time the "froze" up on me and there was no way to replace just the bearings, it's a complete unit inside the pedal body. The Zeros, from the exploded diagram that comes with them, looks like you can replace each individual part.

I just try to remember to grease them after rainy rides or once every month.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedal differences... [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking (no pun intended) at Look Keos. Which ones do you recommend?

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running mom wrote:
I think this is what happened to mine....I can not get the pedal to spin around the spindle. It happened last year and I washed them and sprayed them with WD-40 and they started working again. I did the same thing this time, but I could not get them working. Since this has happened to you, I am wondering if it is possible/worthwhile to fix them? How much did it cost - or did you just decide to replace them? Mine are probably about 5 years old.

The WD-40 likely destroyed them.

The pedals are supposed to make only a half to full revolution when you flick them, anymore and there is not enough grease in the bearings.

There is someone in the uk on ebay who sells full bearing replacement sets, haven't found a Us supplier not even speedplay themselves for all the bearings. But since the needle bearing rides on the spindle itself if they were run after being washed with wd-40 most likely destroyed the shaft. If they are 5 years old the bodies and bowties may be starting to wear so it may not be worth rebuilding if you don't know how yourself.

I run the zeros on my road and tri bike without issues. The ones on the road bike were bought seized and used off ebay for 16 bucks that someone never greased, replaced the bearings in one and lubed up the other been working fine for a year with regularly greasing. While I don't like that they take so much maintenance I like them better than any other pedal so I deal.
Quote Reply