Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedplay maintenance
Quote | Reply
Any speedplay owners out there who NEVER have done the grease maintenance prescribed in the manual? One of my pedals has resistance when I try to turn it. Boy do I feel dumb! I just hope I don't have to replace it.
Quote Reply
Get thee a grease gun [Navi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And flush that puppy out ASAP. Pump it full of new grease, spin it for a bit, and repeat. Speedplay uses very good bearings, so hopefully you can save your pedals with a little retroactive maintenance.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay maintenance [Navi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right. push grease through it until clean grease comes out the spindle side. the peddle should not spin easily when you're done; the grease prevents a fast spin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
someone pointed out that speedplays have good bearing, I'll specify and say "some" speedplays good bearing. As an owner of both the X2 and X3, I can tell you there is a large difference as I'm pretty sure the X2 uses needle bearings.

That said, if you have X3 and the condition about exists as you explain, I'll bet you end up sending it in for new bearings. Still as noted, grease it up and see. I have a small "grease gun," I think I bought it with finish line lube in it at the time that works well. I just push some marine grade grease into it and fill. It has been my experience that you actually can pack the grease using you finger as well, it just takes quite some time to get it packed well.
Quote Reply
Re: Get thee a grease gun [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too late!?! Older X2 model on my wife's bike. Pushed the grease in and the O ring and 2 shims(?) come out the other end! On my way to LBS for overhaul or a new pedal. Looking at the Zeros for her.

Am I evil for taking care of my own bike while my wife's falls apart?
Quote Reply
Re: Get thee a grease gun [Navi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Am I evil for taking care of my own bike while my wife's falls apart?

That all depends on perspective... It is her bike. She could just as easily maintain it, no? Okay, so that will never fly - but I've got yer back man! As long as she gets new pedals and you don't forget to maintain oh... her brakes, I think you're cool.

PS - no need to take it to the bike store. The maintenance instructions are right here.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Last edited by: Khai: Jun 26, 03 19:14
Quote Reply
Re: Get thee a grease gun [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to be nice and upgrade her bike by putting on some brand spankin new bar tape!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the exact situation you describe on my titantium speedplays (I forget the model number, either X1 or X3, the expensive one). I pumped the grease into them. That was a year ago. They have been as good as new ever since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was talking to a Speedplay rep at an expo, and he recommended greasing the pedals 3 times a year! I have the Pedros Grease Injector (http://www.performancebike.com/...=4401&Store=Bike) and it works really well with the Speedy Luber that comes with/from Speedplay.
Quote Reply