Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Speedplay claims huge wind drag reduction... 33 seconds per hour over "leading brands" [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Quote:
Tom. A ... Hmmm...I don't know...looking at the pedaling video, it appears to me that the pedal and cleats are exposed through the majority of the downstroke and it's only during the upstroke that they're "shielded" by the shoe/foot.
yeah but look at how far back and low the dummy is sitting :-) :-)

In fact, check out this pic of a fairly forward position...there's still apparently a fair bit of pedal exposed all around the stroke, no? ;-) (BTW, those are Time RXS pedals)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay claims huge wind drag reduction... 33 seconds per hour over "leading brands" [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
check out this pic of a fairly forward position...there's still apparently a fair bit of pedal exposed all around the stroke, no? ;-) (BTW, those are Time RXS pedals)

A lot of rear derailleur, too (albeit partially due to the camera angle).
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay claims huge wind drag reduction... 33 seconds per hour over "leading brands" [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
check out this pic of a fairly forward position...there's still apparently a fair bit of pedal exposed all around the stroke, no? ;-) (BTW, those are Time RXS pedals)

A lot of rear derailleur, too (albeit partially due to the camera angle).

But...it's a nice and SMOOTH old Shimano 600 model...no gaps or sharp angles on that thing :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay claims huge wind drag reduction... 33 seconds per hour over "leading brands" [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well I suppose - depends on a lot of things like cleat postion too ... but I do think the dummy is more or less 'sitting up' vs. a typical TT position.

Anyhow good marketing by Speedplay to generate lots of visits to their site! I suspect the real savings are mucho lesso ... no booties for example. IMHO there ARE cheaper ways!
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay claims huge wind drag reduction... 33 seconds per hour over "leading brands" [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strikes me that this is the key takeaway from all this- not that we shoudl all somehow mount speedplays with no adaptor plates to our shoes (very hard to do) but instead, we should smooth out our shoees sot he cleats dont stick out.

What did you use on this pic to aero-out the cleats?

Clyde

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Cartels: Serotta, Zipp 2001, Guru, eh?
-"It was kinda long and then i got really tired"
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay claims huge wind drag reduction... 33 seconds per hour over "leading brands" [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Back of the napkin calcs: So if a frontal area decrease of even two rectangles of 5mm x 50mm is possible by switching pedal systems, we have a frontal area decrease of 0.00025 m^2 or 0.045% of the frontal area of a 0.55 m^2 frontal area cyclist. Assuming Cd does not change as the pedal systems are seeing generally turbuent air at low speeds in the wake of the shoe (past flow separation of the shoe), this could decrease total system CdA by that same 0.045% or ~0.010 m^2 (of 0.24 m^2 system CdA).

Okay -- so in theory, if you held a shoe in tangential 30 mph flow, you could realize this frontal area decrease and thus the significant drag savings. The thing I don't know yet is if the pedal and cleat system actually sees this kind of a situation enough to garner this aerodynamic savings. Any flow visualization to share?
Is that a paper or cloth napkin? .045% of .24 is .0001, not .01.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay claims huge wind drag reduction... 33 seconds per hour over "leading brands" [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup! Sorry missed a couple of decimal places there! Sorry! Yeah, 0.0001 or 0.0002 m^2 seems more realistic by my estimation and there's no way you can measure that in a wind tunnel.

So either the shape change has a huge effect on the drag or the wind tunnel measurement precision to take this type of a measurement was a bit off.

Thanks for catching my mistake, tiger.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay claims huge wind drag reduction... 33 seconds per hour over "leading brands" [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
0.0001 or 0.0002 m^2 seems more realistic by my estimation and there's no way you can measure that in a wind tunnel.

What's the precision of various wind tunnels? Is this generally advertised?
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay claims huge wind drag reduction... 33 seconds per hour over "leading brands" [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
0.0001 or 0.0002 m^2 seems more realistic by my estimation and there's no way you can measure that in a wind tunnel.

Texas A&M tunnel - http://lswt.tamu.edu/info.htm

.01 lb resolution, so likely no joy. CdA of .0001 at 30 mph is what, .01 N on it's own. So on the order of .002x lbf. Could of course have some better force balances, but still, .01 N is no way 33 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay claims huge wind drag reduction... 33 seconds per hour over "leading brands" [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Texas A&M tunnel - http://lswt.tamu.edu/info.htm

.01 lb resolution, so likely no joy. CdA of .0001 at 30 mph is what, .01 N on it's own. So on the order of .002x lbf. Could of course have some better force balances, but still, .01 N is no way 33 seconds.

Thanks. I agree, that seems inconsistent with 33 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay claims huge wind drag reduction... 33 seconds per hour over "leading brands" [clyde_s_dale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Strikes me that this is the key takeaway from all this- not that we shoudl all somehow mount speedplays with no adaptor plates to our shoes (very hard to do) but instead, we should smooth out our shoees sot he cleats dont stick out.

Clyde
You mean like these shoes on which I'll be doing some field testing in a velodrome:

See here:
http://www.bont.com/...pages/bontcrono.html

_________________________________________________________________________________
Training Plans -- Power Meter Hire -- SRM Sales Australia -- cyclecoach.com -- My Blog -- Sydney Turbo Studio
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay claims huge wind drag reduction... 33 seconds per hour over "leading brands" [Alex Simmons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Clyde
You mean like these shoes on which I'll be doing some field testing in a velodrome:

See here:
http://www.bont.com/...pages/bontcrono.html

They look cool, but this claim "After all, your feet are the fastest moving part of a bike." I would say the spokes or tires are moving faster.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay claims huge wind drag reduction... 33 seconds per hour over "leading brands" [stitchboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Digging up an old thread here, which I found searching for info on Speedplay's claimed aero gain over other pedals when used with 4 hole shoes.

As it has been a few years now, I was wondering if anyone has tried to replicate Speedplay's results with their own field testing, and if so whether they were able to measure any difference?
Quote Reply

Prev Next