Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedfil - Mini-review and Questions (Pics)
Quote | Reply
Well, I have done 2 rides with the Speedfil -- 2 hours and 5 hours.

The Good: Very easy to fill. Does not spill. The liquid stays in the tube, so, you do not need to suck very hard to get a sip. Fluid flows very well. Convenient. Solid. Locks in place and does not "splash" around. Pretty easy to undue the little holder bolt and pull the thing out to clean after the ride.

The Bad: The liquid does not stay cold (not much you can do about that). Once the drink is in, it is in. So, unlike a bottle that you can chuck at the aid station and get a new, fresh, cool one, you have the liquid in there all the time (not much you can do about that). Very tough to get the tube in the correct position (more on that below).

Question/Issue: The tube is pretty long. No problem when it is near the frame. You can use the re-usable zip ties to hold it in place. However, as can be seen below, the tube has to be pretty long above the bars to be in position for your mouth. It is really tough to figure out a way to secure the tube to keep it in place. I had to configure it around my PC VI, as you can see. Every time I hit a bump, it would move over to the side. Hard to keep it directly in place.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is the Speedfil guy still around the forum?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Speedfil - Mini-review and Questions (Pics) [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA -

Thanks for the pics and the review. Here's my 2 cents:

Regarding the liquid staying cold: we are designing a solution which should satisfy just about every Speedfil owner out there. I cannot commit to a definite release date yet but we should be hearing from our manufacturer shortly on lead times for the product.

Regarding the tube. First and foremost cut the tubing as short as you can go. From your pics I would come in BEHIND the base bar and zip tie to the stem. Keep close to the frame for as long as possible to maximize your aero profile. The wire sleeve should be able to hold position better when working with a) shorter tubing b) using the stem/basebar as a brace for support.

Give this a try and let me know!

Thanks!

David
Speedfil
Quote Reply
Re: Speedfil - Mini-review and Questions (Pics) [speedfil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. I will give it a shot! I think if I come in behind the base bar, the tube will come a little too close to my chest and be difficult to reach. But, I will give it a shot on my Tuesday ride.

Very interested in seeing what you guys come up with to keep the liquid cold. For Sunday's ride, I filled an ice cube tray with Gatorade Endurance, then filled the Speedfil with the Gatorade cubes before my ride. This gave me cool to cold liquid for over 90 minutes. However, obviously could not do that during the ride.

I will try the new mounting position and let you know how it went.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just did a few maiden voyages with my speedfil as well and I'll add my thoughts/experiences after a long 4.5 hour ride as well.

First, it was great. No issues getting fluid - the bite valve works great! Didn't really notice the warm liquid issue as that isn't really any different from other options and InfinIT tastes just fine warm to me.

I could not run the tube behind the base bar either. I think if you are riding steep/aero, most people are looking down at the front hub at least. If you look, this will not work and it needs to be in front of the base bar to work right. I did cut mine as short as possible and it *just* stiff enough to work and keep its shape.

As for aero, I do think it works! I was hit by a gust of wind dead on the side going by an open field and was seriously pushed sideways! Shocked me really! I'm a good bike handler and was on a Planet X Stealth with training wheels (Ksyrium SSC SLs) thankfully and not my disc/Hed Jet 90 front or I would have be over! But, this shows me that at most wind yaws (i.e. 15 degrees), this should be great as advertised. Loved the lower center of gravity and handling over a front mounted system like the Profile Aerodrink. I had zero issues filling on the fly (purposely tried this) and no spilling/leaking, etc. A little high on the triathlete Fred factor looking, but that is about the only negative in my eyes ;-)

edit: noticed you must have a large bike based on your tube length and space of the speedfil in the frame! My size M Planet X, the thing is about a perfect "fairing"! Also, Gatorade does taste like ass warm, so I see your issue. With that rig, SRM, etc. time to step up to InfinIT would my rec ;-)

Last edited by: rroof: Aug 18, 08 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: Speedfil - Mini-review and Questions (Pics) [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the size of the bike is likely part of the problem. I have a long head tube. My Guru is fairly close to a 58, which probably puts it closer to a L than your M Planet X. I think that regardless of what I do, b/c the bike is larger, I will have quite a bit of tubing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used it at Timberman on Sunday. It was excellent. Refilling was so simple and there was no splashing. My only problem was that I cut the tube too short so I'm going to have to buy a replacement - probably a Camelback tube. Keeping the water cold was not an issue because I was taking relatively cold bottles at the aid stations and refilling.

I also tried putting it behind the basebar and also found that it didn't work very well back there.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedfil - Mini-review and Questions (Pics) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO -

If you need a replacement tube (or other parts) send us an email at sales@invisciddesign.com. A camelback tube will be a tough fit with the bite valve (but would work). We hope to have the web store open shortly until then shoot us an email.

Thanks!

David
Speedfil
Quote Reply
Re: Speedfil - Mini-review and Questions (Pics) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe O -

Regarding new tube. If you decide to go with a camelback tube or other make sure the diameter of the tube is snug fit to the grommet on the bottle. If not the there will be no seal and you could get splash back.

thanks!

David
Speedfil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks,

I am going to try the Camelback thing first but it doesn't work, I will contact you for a replacement.

-Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David,

How is the tube as far as cleaning goes. I just got my Speedfil on Friday and have not used it yet. I am trying to decide how I will use it in long races when I am getting my calories via Hammer Perpetuem.

Stelvio
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just not seeing how that can be more aero than one bottle between the aerobars and one on the frame. That is one big fat tube killing your aero frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good news - Camelback tube is fine for size and more flexible than the Speedfil tube
Bad news - Camelback with "stiff collar" (one of the Camelback accessories you can buy) is no good. the collar is too long. Instead I thing the best option is the Camelback tube with either the Speedfil stiff collar or the the NeverReach stiff collar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

edit: noticed you must have a large bike based on your tube length and space of the speedfil in the frame! My size M Planet X, the thing is about a perfect "fairing"! Also, Gatorade does taste like ass warm, so I see your issue. With that rig, SRM, etc. time to step up to InfinIT would my rec ;-)
gotta piccie?
i have a medium stealth also and am interested in this system

but do have concerns over the huge tube.

i am coming from a different angle.. i like my profile aero bottle but want to free up more room between my aerobars
Quote Reply
Re: Speedfil - Mini-review and Questions (Pics) [milkywaye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkywaye -

What seems to be your issue with the tube?

Consider the following: the tube, however "big" you think it may be, is siginificantly smaller than any drink system placed in the aerobars or a standard bottle in the downtube. My recommendation is use the tube behind the base bar, if possible, to minimize drag. Keep in mind the sleeve does have a wire inserted into it so you can bend the tube where you want it.

If your concerns center around drawing the fluid up to drink - not an issue - the bite valve supplied with the system holds the fluid in place.

We designed this system to be aerodynamic while allowing the user to carry two bottles worth of fluid and easy to use.

Thanks!

David
Speedfil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, I'll snap one and try to post (damn macs ...)

I can't use a Profile Aerodrink since my front end is too low (bottom of the aerodrink hits the front tire!).

Just used the Speedfil for a very hot 1/2 IM yesterday and it was great again - very easy to fill on the fly as advertised. The only thing I don't like is that it is hard to judge how much you have been drinking or how much fluid is left unless looking at it from the side (which I can't easily do while riding 20+ mph).

Quote | Reply
We could easily produce a "clear" plastic but of course the fluids would get warmer faster.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here ya' go. Nevermind the dirty car/garage :) Should give you at least an idea how it looks!

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
We could easily produce a "clear" plastic but of course the fluids would get warmer faster.

Thoughts?
Clear plastic "window" in the top? I noticed the same issue. Hard to tell how much you have had to drink.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey David,

I saw a number of people at IMC with the speedfil on their bikes, everyone I asked seemed pleased. Do you have a Canadian distributor? Shipping from Nytro is over $40 ... can you say SCAM?????

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

thanks man.. looks like a perfect fit for an M sized stealth!
and the cabling looks nice and tight on your frame too.

now i just need to figure out the best way of getting one from the US to the netherlands!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode 3.5 sat for my first experience and liked it alot although my right calf hit the bottle when I would slide up on the saddle during intervals. I chose not to put the sleeve on? What is the benefit of it anyway? Unfortunately, I cut the tubing too short and had to bend my head down to get the fluid. I don't think the tubing is too large at all.
Quote Reply