Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed Concept Travel : Cozumel
Quote | Reply
One of the races on my list for a late season A is Coz.

Wanted to know if anyone here has experience flying with their speed concept (mine is 7.5 2014)
To cozumel and getting it put back together and broken back down for the race.

Would be my maiden voyage of airborn with the bike so I want to go in knowing everything to expect.

Looks like by my count the best way to get there is take a SWA to Cancun and a ferry to Coz.

Though bike shops / mechanics on the island?
Cost to reassemble?

Anything to be mindful of?

http://www.athlinks.com/athletes/208730390
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Travel : Cozumel [jstoveld] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstoveld wrote:
One of the races on my list for a late season A is Coz.

Wanted to know if anyone here has experience flying with their speed concept (mine is 7.5 2014)
To cozumel and getting it put back together and broken back down for the race.

Would be my maiden voyage of airborn with the bike so I want to go in knowing everything to expect.

Looks like by my count the best way to get there is take a SWA to Cancun and a ferry to Coz.

Though bike shops / mechanics on the island?
Cost to reassemble?

Anything to be mindful of?

Option 1 - If you are flying to Cancun then taking the ferry I would send it through TBT (or whoever they are using) if that is available to you. They will reassemble and then disassemble and ship back after the race. Hauling your bike and luggage from Cancun to the ferry and then across to the island would be a PITA.

Option 2 - I flew directly from Houston to Coz last year and hauled my Felt DA (integrated front end) in a Scicon bag and was able to transport from the airport to our condo in a large van and re-assemble myself there. I did see some mechanical services near the race check-in, but if you are not mechanically inclined to be able to do it yourself, then would pursue Option 1 above first. It cost me $200 each way to fly with the bike. Add mechanical to that and it's probably a breakeven for TBT plus the benefit of them storing it afterwards if you stay for a few days.

Oh and if you do decide on option #2, please don't be that guy at the airport check-in trying to tell the attendant that the box is "parts" or "equipment' or whatever other than a bike to save a few bucks. If it gets damaged, you don't want your claim ticket saying it is anything other than a really expensive bike that you paid them to haul as a bike and expect them to replace a bike. And they know where you are going and why because there were probably 1000 others that already checked in a bike and flew to the same destination. Get it?
Edit to add: Also leave your Co2 cartridges at home and buy new ones at the expo. Just trust me on this one.
Last edited by: ChrisT: Jul 2, 15 10:45
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Travel : Cozumel [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And make sure the tubes in the wheels are flat. I got that covered.
I know what pressure does.

No one wants a gunshot to go off :-)

Still have Trek Care Plus on this.
So Im covered whatever happens.

I can put together my own road bikes but we all know Trek loves to make stuff complicated.
400$ added to the cost of the race makes it a little less loveable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Close, but not why on the Co2. Actually you bags are scanned on your way OUT of the airport and you get to watch them rifle through them to find that little cylinder.

They didn't key in on my inhaler or shaving cream, but found the Co2 and then I got to meet some new people and have a nice souvenir from the Mexican Government that they made me sign. However they didn't give two shits about the cartridges that I bought and still had on my bike when I packed back up to leave. I have always wondered if the confiscated ones were then re-sold at the expo back to us!

On the bright side, I can frame the 'Declaration of Smuggling' along side my finisher certificate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jstoveld wrote:
And make sure the tubes in the wheels are flat. I got that covered.
I know what pressure does.

No one wants a gunshot to go off :-)

It sounds as though you do not. You may like to consider the difference between absolute pressure and gauge pressure, or just do whatever makes you feel good.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Travel : Cozumel [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT -

Show me where on the doll that the security guard touched you...

I really think I want to tough this out to save SOME cash.
$450 for TBT to superfrog and $25 less for coz... figure that pricing out...

Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Travel : Cozumel [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flew with and assembled two bikes myself last year (mine & my wife's). If I had it to do again I'd to TBT in a heartbeat. Breaking down two bikes at 1 AM because I had a flight the next morning was for the birds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.there will be our local (to Mexico) bike transport company who always sets up next to Chedraui behind the plaza and for a fee or tip or lunch I'm sure they'll take care of you.
2.carbrillas on 11th near the glorietta is a very well trusted and established tri shop. they will also be very well equipped to do this for you. (cozumel_
3.over here on teh mainland we have a few shops (one in CUN and one here in PdC) i would trust but my guess is you're going to want to do this on Cozumel. lmk if you want CUN or PdC recomendations.

enjoy the race!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Travel : Cozumel [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
Flew with and assembled two bikes myself last year (mine & my wife's). If I had it to do again I'd to TBT in a heartbeat. Breaking down two bikes at 1 AM because I had a flight the next morning was for the birds.

Was this for cozumel? Man that would be frustrating.
You love your bike just enough to hate it.

Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Travel : Cozumel [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
1.there will be our local (to Mexico) bike transport company who always sets up next to Chedraui behind the plaza and for a fee or tip or lunch I'm sure they'll take care of you.
2.carbrillas on 11th near the glorietta is a very well trusted and established tri shop. they will also be very well equipped to do this for you. (cozumel_
3.over here on teh mainland we have a few shops (one in CUN and one here in PdC) i would trust but my guess is you're going to want to do this on Cozumel. lmk if you want CUN or PdC recomendations.

enjoy the race!

Took me a minute to realize you were talking about in Mexico.
Ok this is all great.

Now when you say a "fee"
How much are we talking?
What do they like to eat? (And drink?)

I think getting it done on the mainland wouldnt be a bad idea because I understand the terrain after the ferry is not optimal for carrying large objects.

I imagine these shops are in business and trusted so thats great.
Trusting someone with a piece of machinery that you ride at 20-40 MPH is a soft area.
As someone who has faceplanted before at high speed. I would like to keep my face this scared up or less.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jstoveld wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:

enjoy the race!

Took me a minute to realize you were talking about in Mexico.
Ok this is all great.

Now when you say a "fee"
How much are we talking?
What do they like to eat? (And drink?)

I think getting it done on the mainland wouldnt be a bad idea because I understand the terrain after the ferry is not optimal for carrying large objects.

I imagine these shops are in business and trusted so thats great.
Trusting someone with a piece of machinery that you ride at 20-40 MPH is a soft area.
As someone who has faceplanted before at high speed. I would like to keep my face this scared up or less.

my guess is that for someone used to USD the "fee" will be more than reasonable (no clue honestly). if you use Cabrilla's they will have an upfront charge. if you use a local shop here i would have them do the work and then say, "cuanto le debo?" and they will likely give you a price that is much lower than you'd be expecting. beer is always a good tip too.

well, after the ferry you need to get to your hotel, right? so the taxi will take your bike box, right? you're not walking to your hotel?

i think you should use cabrillas on the island - they are used to high end bikes and they'll take good care of you. they are on 11th, on the same street we come down during the race, and are great folk. if you do it over here, in Cancun I would use Elite cyclery and here in PdC i'd use teknobike but you will need a car likely to get to either place. i think your best bet is probably on coz.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Travel : Cozumel [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kathy you have been a huge help.

I need to run i by my friend whos basically a stones throw from super frog.

As long as we can get our bikes re assembled and disassembled for the trip back. I see no reason not to do Coz.

Just may be a money thing.

Thank you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My preference is not to blow two days and taxi/ferry money getting from Cancun to cozumel. My preference is to break down and build my own bike free, on my schedule rather than spend time, money coordinating with someone. You've got five months to practice, and the skills will serve you long term. Else, TBT.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Travel : Cozumel [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DamonHenry wrote:
My preference is not to blow two days and taxi/ferry money getting from Cancun to cozumel. My preference is to break down and build my own bike free, on my schedule rather than spend time, money coordinating with someone. You've got five months to practice, and the skills will serve you long term. Else, TBT.

Being a technical guy I feel you.

Also being a technical guy - I know I learn from mistakes.

This would be all for not if I get to mile 30 and find out I didnt bolt down the cockpit right and I am going down for a mouth full of grass.

I might sit down with my mechanic this weekend and pick his brain on this too.

My main concern is the techs always hate working on my Trek. Said it is a pain in the ass the cabling jobs and what not.
Just dont want to bite off more than I can chew...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A mechanic in Coz could just as easily forget to tighten or strip a bolt as you could. In five months, you can break down a bike and build it up as often as you like. Develop a check list of actions in a preferred order and nothing is missed or forgotten.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I might sit down with my mechanic this weekend and pick his brain on this too.

This is the best thing that you can do. I've got no formal bike training but overtime I'm looking to do something new, I head to my LBS where I've got a good relationship and get a hand-on lesson from them. Years ago when I was first riding tubulars I "volunteered" on Friday nights for free beer and mounted customer tubular tires one after the other. After a few weeks I had it down cold. They got some free labor and I learned some valuable lessons. I recently bought a NP3 and wanted to swap out a few parts before taking delivery. I'd go up there after work on work on the bike under their supervision. Most of it I could do myself but the real thing I needed help with was learning how to bleed to Magura brakes. Now I know how and can do it when needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Travel : Cozumel [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will work for beer.

There has to be a tee shirt out there.

Ill pop in bikesmith tonight after my shift. Thanks!

Quote Reply