Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Transition vs Super Bikes
Quote | Reply
Looking to get back into racing after almost 10 years off, I am thinking of making an offer on a local 2009 S Works Transition, the bike fits me quite well, my FTP when fit is about 3.75 w/kg, previous IM bike time on old Canada course was in the 5:05 to 5:15 range, how much time would I be giving up vs the new super bikes?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition vs Super Bikes [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pokey wrote:
Looking to get back into racing after almost 10 years off, I am thinking of making an offer on a local 2009 S Works Transition, the bike fits me quite well, my FTP when fit is about 3.75 w/kg, previous IM bike time on old Canada course was in the 5:05 to 5:15 range, how much time would I be giving up vs the new super bikes?

Around 1-3 minutes, talking about the frame being the only difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition vs Super Bikes [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does this 1-3 minutes difference hold true for a 2011 Transition as well? I am kicking around replacing it with something newer and a little more aero. I think I've got the bike set up pretty slippery now. If the difference might only be 1 minute over 112 miles, I'd be much better off spending that money on a swim coach.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition vs Super Bikes [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then 2011 and 2009 transition are the same frame iirc. Maybe different carbon layup and different paint job.

Those bikes are among the fastest, if not the fastest, non super bike generation bike you can buy.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What desert dude said. It's a fast bike. Just a minute or three.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition vs Super Bikes [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess this is a sign that I don't need one of these nice shiny and new frames which is good news. I am contemplating upgrading the bar, brakes, and wheels which sounds like it will help bring it even a touch closer based on other conversations I have followed on here. Only thing I don't like about the frame are the two fins that always seem to get damaged at some point or another.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still on mine and i still love it.

Every year around Oktober/November I start debating with myself if it is time to upgrade and so far the answer has always been no.
I have ridden it to a 4:42 in Barcelona (in 2013 before it became a WTC draftfest) and I can't imagine I'm giving up too much time with a decent position on it.

In fact, I have upgraded it with FLO-wheels, a Stages PM and some TriRig Omega brakes and am thinking on spending the money I am not spending on a new bike on some further upgrades instead:
1) New custom Paintjob to get that "new-feeling"
2) Some kind of 3D-printed behind the stem fairing or even some sort of custom-made nosecone...?
3) A Sram Red eTap groupset?! (Sound crazy but if I eventually DO by a new frame, I can just move the eTap over...)

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Oct 11, 16 9:56
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition vs Super Bikes [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know, although 3 minutes could make a difference if you're chasing a podium.

I have a 2008 S-Works Transition and just recently decided to clean up the front end by adding a Tri Rig Alpha X bar system and Omega X brake. Figured the $1,500 upgrade was a more reasonable investment than dropping $5k+ on a new Super frame right now. Can always use the bar & brake on a new frame build later. I think the biggest advantage might be that the Tri Rig cockpit is much more adjustable which will allow for a lower aero profile.

Also stripped the FD and went 1x for upcoming AZ races. BTA bottle and Dark Speed works food box to fill in some gaps. Will just have to see how it plays out.

Now just trying to decide whether to run a 900 disc (PITA) on the rear or keep the tried and true 90mm Aeolus. Butyl or latex. For the 70.3, I'm just leaning towards keeping it simple.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Specialized Transition vs Super Bikes [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had one fit on it a couple of years ago but still feel like a sail in the wind a bit so planning to get another one this winter. As far as setup I am only doing short course next year so plan to run 1 bta bottle and that is it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:
Does this 1-3 minutes difference hold true for a 2011 Transition as well? I am kicking around replacing it with something newer and a little more aero. I think I've got the bike set up pretty slippery now. If the difference might only be 1 minute over 112 miles, I'd be much better off spending that money on a swim coach.

For the sort of coin you're talking about, you could get a lot of sessions in with a good swim coach. If you're willing to put the time in in the pool, you'd probably save way more time in the water (depending on where your current swim is).
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition vs Super Bikes [flogazo & mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may want to skip some of those upgrades in favor of some aero bars that are non UCI legal.

Some of the 3D stuff we've tested hasn't worked...at all, unless your goal is to add drag. Some of it's worked well.

I will say there are some awesome custom paint jobs out there though

mstange22: run the disc on the transition, especially if it's not a flat disc. I'm about 98% sure I've seen some data somewhere that shows that bike is faster with a non flat disc vs a flat disc.

Now if either of you are in the M45-49 then don't run race wheels at all. go with gatorskins for tires. You can thank me later ;-)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a 2009 transition and I have been weighing up getting a new bike, as there is a decent deal on a p5. So really, if I did want to make my transition faster, perhaps some of the tririg omega brakes and perhaps a new aero bar set? My transition is the shimano 105 model, whatever that is called and has the one piece aluminium Vision bars. I remember hearing/reading somewhere that those bars are decent aerodynamically?

I guess I could get a sleeved trisuit also...

I have race wheels, and use an old Reynolds DV stratus for my front wheel and a FFWD disc in the rear.

Thing is, if I get a new bike, the gf might not be so happy, so if I keep the old one, spend the money on something for her (she has a ring picked out etc), she might allow me to train more, which in turn has a better chance of making me faster?

Or is that a false dichotomy in other's experiences?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Then 2011 and 2009 transition are the same frame iirc. Maybe different carbon layup and different paint job.

Those bikes are among the fastest, if not the fastest, non super bike generation bike you can buy.

I just needed to quote this so I can read it every time I think I need a new bike. I like my transition and reading this from you will remind me there are lots of better things to buy or do with my money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely better spending money on a coach. Or tunnel time.
Or fast clothes.

bikemessengersrepresent
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition vs Super Bikes [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you still have this bike?
Did the Alpha x improve your speed?

I have the same frame and I am thinking of the same upgrade
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not directed specifically to the OP

also still riding my 7+ year old transition.....with upgraded bars, wheels, brakes and a 1x. i think mine is a comp - so not top of the range. i have not ridden a modern TT bike and would be interested in knowing if they are more vertically compliant. My transition is the harshest of any bike I've ever ridden - even with 25s. I'd consider upgrading the frame for comfort as long as there was no loss in aero. Anyone got any info on this?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition vs Super Bikes [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know what bar/pads you have, but if you get some of those cee gees pads that will go a long way towards smoothing out any ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an 08 or 09 transition and loved it. Then I happened to stumble across my dream bike for sale in my ballpark. I bought, even though I felt like I didn't need it. I sold my transition and regret it. I loved that bike and wish I still had it.
Keep it and get it painted.
Quote Reply