Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Specialized Power Saddle: First Experiences
Quote | Reply
I got a Specialized Power saddle late last week and slapped it on my spare tri bike (a Cannondale Slice). I have been using the Sitero for a year and like it to the point that every time I switch from my P3 to Slice I move the saddle back and forth (I often do this because one bike is in a bike case, and I don't want to unpack it before the next time it has to be transported). In any case, I was going to get another Sitero, until I did a test ride of the new Power saddle on a spin bike at the IM South Africa expo. I just have not been able to get the saddle locally here in Canada until I stumbled upon one in an LBS in Mountainview CA last week.

You can read all the marketing hype about the saddle at the specialized website:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/saddles/roadtriathlon-saddles/sworks-power

It's supposed to be a cross between a Sitero and a road saddle which is what I felt when I did the test ride on the spin bike in Port Elizabeth.

Based on the Specialized "sit-o-meter" pad, I should be on a 143 so I got the 143mm Expert version

I set it up at my usual 68 cm saddle height and tried to figure out what the fore/aft should be, but that is pretty useless because you really don't know where you will end up on a new saddle. As it turns out, I had to move the Power around 3-4 cm further forward than the Sitero to get my hips in the same point in space. The Power has me sitting substantially futher back in the saddle than the Sitero in and out of the aero position. What I find with both saddles is that there is literally only one place on the saddle that I sit, both sitting up and aero. The rest of the saddle i don't use.

At this point, I have put around 6 hours of riding into the Power, almost all in the TT position. I barely notice that the nose is there in the same way I don't notice the nose on my Bonetrager Hilo currently on my trainer bike. I found the Power saddle a bit more supportive than the Sitero, and "softer/more cushioned". 90K largely in the TT position and I felt fine, but I felt some pressure on my sit bones.

I re evaluated the saddle position and then measured back to where I was actually sitting which is more rearward (vs the middle of the saddle or towards the front of most saddles) and found that the height was more like 68.5-69 cm range to where I had the Power set up, so I lowered it a half cm for today's ride and things felt perfect.

So far the saddle largely lives up to the way the Specialized engineering and marketing guys describe it. I can see all my bikes be equipped with his saddle in time (I think), but I probably need a good 500-1000K on it to really know. This saddle takes the Sitero up another few notches. I can't actually see every purchasing a Sitero, given the existence of this new saddle, but as I said, I need more time to make that definitive case....but the trend points that way.

I do think it is imperative that one gets the correct width. If you end up with the wrong width, (too wide) and the sides are going to put pressure where they should not and too narrow and you won't be properly supported.

I put this one in a win column.

Disclaimer/fine print....I bought this at full retail and have no commercial link to Specialized. The store that supports me locally does not even carry Specialized products
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 10, 15 16:26
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Power Saddle: First Experiences [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have also tried the power saddle, I however tried it on a road bike (Venge) with a pretty aggressive position. It worked fine but I went back to the Romin I have been using. I know it is meant for a TT bike but II work for a shop and we took one in to have all of us use so we can effectively sell it. Our shop manager liked it well enough that he put one on his Crux. We have sold a couple and since saddles are so personal I cannot say it will work for all, but it has worked for several folks in our area on both road and tri bikes.

Be advised, it is very thin, most folk have had to raise their seat height.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Power Saddle: First Experiences [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim wrote:
I have also tried the power saddle, I however tried it on a road bike (Venge) with a pretty aggressive position. It worked fine but I went back to the Romin I have been using. I know it is meant for a TT bike but II work for a shop and we took one in to have all of us use so we can effectively sell it. Our shop manager liked it well enough that he put one on his Crux. We have sold a couple and since saddles are so personal I cannot say it will work for all, but it has worked for several folks in our area on both road and tri bikes.

I measured the stack height at 40mm for the Power vs 45 mm for the Sitero, so I had to raise my seat post 5 mm to get to my normal height. But since I sit further back on the Power vs Sitero, I had better success lowering it back 5mm. But what you say would apply if you use it as a road saddle going from another road saddle where you are already sitting in the back half of the saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Power Saddle: First Experiences [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Jim wrote:

I measured the stack height at 40mm for the Power vs 45 mm for the Sitero, so I had to raise my seat post 5 mm to get to my normal height. But since I sit further back on the Power vs Sitero, I had better success lowering it back 5mm. But what you say would apply if you use it as a road saddle going from another road saddle where you are already sitting in the back half of the saddle.

Hmm everyone we have sold one to had to raise it, but I haven't checked back in with our customers, I will check into that next time I see them.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Jim wrote:

Hmm everyone we have sold one to had to raise it, but I haven't checked back in with our customers, I will check into that next time I see them.

I think you mean that they had to raise the seat post to get the saddle height the same as their previous saddle where they were "rear saddle sitting". If they were nose sitting on their old saddle and now rear sitting on the Power that changes saddle height (makes it a bit higher, so need to bring it down)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tks for thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one on my road bike and so far I really really like it. I will try it on my Tri-Bike soon!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim wrote:
I know it is meant for a TT bike but II work for a shop and we took one in to have all of us use so we can effectively sell it.

This is not correct. AFAIK it was was designed with all riding involved, not just TT.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Power Saddle: First Experiences [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Jim wrote:
I know it is meant for a TT bike but II work for a shop and we took one in to have all of us use so we can effectively sell it.

This is not correct. AFAIK it was was designed with all riding involved, not just TT.

I agree, this is a good saddle for both road riding and TT riding. The Sitero kind of sucks outside of the TT position (where it has been really good for me). This one allows for both road and TT riding better than any saddle I have been on to date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Jim wrote:

Yeah sorry about that, looked it up today, I'm too used to the LR where fact has no bearing on a post.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talked to one of my customers today, he could not make it work and was in to order a new saddle. He tried up and down and various nose angles but never got really comfortable on his road fit, his main complaint was he could not get it far enough forward on the rails.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that this is a problem. In my case, as I mentioned, I had to move the saddle several cm forward relative to the Sitero. The Sitero itself was around 3 cm further forward than my Bonetrager Hilo where I used the front half of the saddle. For riders that need the sit bones way forward, this saddle likely will not work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode Zofingen with the power saddle on my road bike (6hrs) and I was SO COMFY that I never even thought about it...

No soreness after the ride either; best saddle that I have ever ridden by FAR!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim wrote:
Talked to one of my customers today, he could not make it work and was in to order a new saddle. He tried up and down and various nose angles but never got really comfortable on his road fit, his main complaint was he could not get it far enough forward on the rails.

What were his ass-o-meter measurements and what size saddle did he get? Also, version, the padding is different.

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you set the tilt ? Level nose to tail ? What about fore aft? Around 3 more then previous saddle?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Power Saddle: First Experiences [wheelzqc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In terms of tilt, I had it on a tri bike slightly nose down, mainly because on that bike seat post the notches would not allow me to get it level (you either ended up slightly nose up or nose down on the old Cannondale Slice). I have subsequently installed it on a road bike with nose level and it feels fine, much better than other conventional road saddles with nose level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm interested in road bike setup. Nose level to what ? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the road bike if I put a level between the nose and the back of the saddle, the "bubble" would be in the middle. On the Cannondale Slice the bubble would move towards the back of the saddle. (back higher than nose).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
xtrpickels wrote:
Jim wrote:

I agree, this is a good saddle for both road riding and TT riding. The Sitero kind of sucks outside of the TT position (where it has been really good for me). This one allows for both road and TT riding better than any saddle I have been on to date.

Do you find the Power to be softer than Sitero? I have the Sitero, but only 150 miles on it. I don't feel the nose at all, but damn does my ass hurt. I'm hoping to build up more tolerance, otherwise I may dump this saddle. Just so hard.

Quote | Reply
I found the Sitero was "hard" until I lowered it by around 3 mm. The foam does not compress like a regular saddle so I found I needed it to be lower than other saddles to get it to the same height. Once it was at the same height, the saddle became very good. I was going to transition all my bikes to Power, but will likely keep my race bike on Sitero. I found the Sitero best position was level or 1 degree down. Nose up is not that great for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for the input Paul. I'll play around with it. I've tried a few different setups and the way this saddle is it never really feels bad. The only thing was with a lower nose (which I thought that's how they advised to set it up) I was having a bit too much pressure on the hands/shoulders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wheelzqc wrote:
How do you set the tilt ? Level nose to tail ? What about fore aft? Around 3 more then previous saddle?

Missed this previously.

If you put a level from the nose to the rear of the saddle, it should be a few degrees nose down.
What you're looking for is that the front half of the saddle is level with the ground, while the back half kicks up a bit.

If the saddle is completely level from tip to tail, the front half will actually be sloping up.

Obviously personal preference plays a large role.

The below image is probably ~ 1 maybe 2 degrees nose down from where I would set it, personally.
The last image is too nose up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2nd one looks like what Paul is doing. The first one is what I thought was advised when I was reading nose level. Even if it felt good, it was too much on the hands. It's unclear what is "nose"...is it the start of the cutout (actually to the widest part of the saddle) to the end of nose ? I think that wasn't too bad.
Last edited by: wheelzqc: Jun 8, 15 8:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the Power saddle do you ride "off the front", or does the little bit of closed nose in front get in the way (vs. the fully open nose of the Sitero, Adamos, etc.)?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Power Saddle: First Experiences [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
With the Power saddle do you ride "off the front", or does the little bit of closed nose in front get in the way (vs. the fully open nose of the Sitero, Adamos, etc.)?

For me, The nose of the saddle is too narrow to carry any weight. I sit more forward than a traditional saddle, but I'm not hanging off the front.

Quote Reply

Prev Next