Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Evade Tri helmet
Quote | Reply
Anyone has experience with the TRI version of the Evade? How do you like the helmet in general and the magnetic buckle, another gimmick or actually beneficial?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Evade Tri helmet [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a play with the Evade Tri magnetic buckle in one of their stores and to be honest I wasn't that impressed. If you twist it in the right way then it will pop open without having to push the little release-slider-thing, which didn't inspire me with confidence. I doubt you'd be unlucky enough for that to happen in a crash, but I'd rather stick with a standard design for the extra 0.5 seconds it takes.

That said, the overall design is very well thought out, very lightweight and supposedly very aero. Haven't tried one on the road so can't comment much further.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the Tri Evade for about 2 months. Overall, I really like it. Comfortable, supposedly pretty aero, and I feel like it has pretty good ventilation during some long rides outdoors in the heat. At first I thought the magnetic buckle might come loose accidentally, but it's never happened for me, and although it's magnetic, it does actually latch together. Also, it meets all the same safety standards as a regular buckle. For me, my hands are always frozen after the swim and I almost always struggle to unclip a regular buckle in T2. The magnetic buckle would completely fix that issue, making it extremely easy and fast to buckle up and unbuckle.

My issue is I'm not sure if the Evade is more aero than my Wingspan. I think I'll still be racing with the Wingspan this year...
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Evade Tri helmet [JVanderveen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding the safety of the buckle, I had a minor crash a couple of weeks ago wearing the Tri Evade and the buckle stayed clamped. I hit hard enough to crack the styrofoam lining but the helmet worked fine - thankful it wasn't my head that ended up cracked.

I haven't had any trouble with the buckle in about a year of use of the helmet. It works great for transition, just get the buckle close to lined up and it snaps together every time. Usually only takes one hand to do or undo.

I replaced it with another just like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had mine for about a year. I really like it...the buckle hasn't come apart accidentally. However the real trick is how it performs during an accident...not having had one, I can't say, but the magnet just snaps it in the locked position.
I assume it would be pretty unlikely to move it in such a way as to unclip it prior to the helmet taking the hit.

I find the clip took a little bit to get used to (dozen clips/unclips)...but now it's pretty quick to do and undo. I don't think it's gimmicky. The extra speed (somebody said 1/2 second...for me probably a few seconds different) is immaterial.

It's handy.
Last edited by: CharlesYTri: May 16, 16 11:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been racing in mine for a little over a year now. I tend to get hot easily, and I have no issues with ventilation with this helmet. Also, in comparison to my other helmet (a Giro Atmos a few years old) I notice a lot less wind disturbance around my ears. I don't have any way to quantify what that translates to as far as aerodynamics, time savings, etc. But it certainly 'feels' faster.

As far as the magnetic buckle goes, I like it. I'm sure even with half frozen hands I can put a regular helmet on/off just about as fast as I can with the magnetic buckle. But if given the choice, I'd pick the magnetic one, even if I wasn't using it in a triathlon. It just seems like a slightly better fastening mechanism to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the magnetic buckle and the helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Evade Tri helmet [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have used for a year now.
Got it right before the local tri here.
Couldn't get the buckle to click. Probably used 5 times the time of a standard buckle.
But loving it now. Just to remember, practice before your first race.... Hahaha
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Evade Tri helmet [JVanderveen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JVanderveen wrote:
I've had the Tri Evade for about 2 months. Overall, I really like it. Comfortable, supposedly pretty aero, and I feel like it has pretty good ventilation during some long rides outdoors in the heat. At first I thought the magnetic buckle might come loose accidentally, but it's never happened for me, and although it's magnetic, it does actually latch together. Also, it meets all the same safety standards as a regular buckle. For me, my hands are always frozen after the swim and I almost always struggle to unclip a regular buckle in T2. The magnetic buckle would completely fix that issue, making it extremely easy and fast to buckle up and unbuckle.

My issue is I'm not sure if the Evade is more aero than my Wingspan. I think I'll still be racing with the Wingspan this year...

Did you ever seek info on this comparison?? I was wondering the same thing, as I have both....

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Evade Tri helmet [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't find any dependable data to compare the two. The Evade has the edge when it comes to comfort, ventilation, and ease of putting it on/removal but I just can't see it being faster in a non-draft situation than the Wingspan. Let me know if you find anything that shows I'm wrong!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My head measurement is ~57-57.5cm, should I choose a Small size for tight fit or go with a Medium for comfort
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Evade Tri helmet [5MIL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Medium for sure.
In Reply To:

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply