Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Specialized Diverge...
Quote | Reply
Anyone ride one or own one yet? Wondering thoughts on it. Looking to add a winter/gravel/dirt road bike to stable, with the idea of MAYBE racing a cyclocross race here or there, and wondering if this bike could be raced cross if necessary??

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Diverge... [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are a triathlete, and you have a TT/Tri bike, there is a great case to be made for the 2nd bike being one of these new hybrid - road/gravel/cross - multi-tool bikes that with a change of wheels or even tires, you can do just about ALL kinds of riding short of more technical trail riding where a true MTB would be required.

Going even further - these multipurpose bikes would also be great commuter bikes, and off season road training bikes if you live in a really wet/rainy area, as they typically have the clearance for fenders. Although, the higher end models would not be ones you would want to leave locked up outside if commuting.

Now, if you are FULL-ON road racing, or cx racing, then you'll want to have a dedicated road-race or cx bike. But If tri is your main gig and you are getting the 2nd bike for training and expanding the type of riding you can do, and where you can ride, then something like the Diverge or any of these new multi-tool bikes would be a great choice.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 19, 15 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Diverge... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To further expand on Fleck's post, the term "Jack of all trades, master of none" applies perfectly to the Diverge. You can do a lot of varied riding on the Diverge, but it will never be the best choice for any one. Whether that then makes a Diverge a good option for you is something you'll have to answer.

Buddy just got one and has only been doing packed trail riding with it so far, but he has been pretty pleased overall.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Diverge... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed - the Specialized Diverge looks to be an outstanding option.

Another, if anyone wants to really push this Jack-of-all-Trades thing is the Open Cycles UP - http://up.opencycle.com/

This is Cervelo and Open Co-Founder Gerard Vroomen's little project. I saw the bike in person at Interbike and it's awesome. Gerard is really pushing this whole concept of getting off the pavement, and onto gravel roads, rail-trails, farm-tracks etc . . again, everything short of a full-on technical trail you would want/need a real MTB for.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
If you are a triathlete, and you have a TT/Tri bike, there is a great case to be made for the 2nd bike being one of these new hybrid - road/gravel/cross - multi-tool bikes that with a change of wheels or even tires, you can do just about ALL kinds of riding short of more technical trail riding where a true MTB would be required.

Now, if you are FULL-ON road racing, or cx racing, then you'll want to have a dedicated road-race or cx bike. But If tri is your main gig and you are getting the 2nd bike for training and expanding the type of riding you can do, and where you can ride, then something like the Diverge or any of these new multi-tool bikes would be a great choice.

Yes, am primarily a triathlete and runner. Also a bike "junkie". I have the TT/road/MB thing covered. Not looking for dedicated road or cx racing, just a multi-purpose, dirt/gravel/trail/winter roads, for riding here in CO. A cross bike could clearly cover those bases, but considering something like the Diverge as an alternative.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diverge is a really cool bike.
That said, the Crux disc is even better unless you need the fender mounts.
Crux takes a larger tire and feels as solid as any road bike.
I love my Crux-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It says the diverge has Clearance for up to 35c tires.
CX are typically 33c, but clinchers often run big.

I haven't tried, but a true CX tire is probably a tight fit.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Niner RLT9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Another, if anyone wants to really push this Jack-of-all-Trades thing is the Open Cycles UP - http://up.opencycle.com/

This is Cervelo and Open Co-Founder Gerard Vroomen's little project. I saw the bike in person at Interbike and it's awesome. Gerard is really pushing this whole concept of getting off the pavement, and onto gravel roads, rail-trails, farm-tracks etc . . again, everything short of a full-on technical trail you would want/need a real MTB for.

The Open UP looks like a really sweet bike! Too bad the frameset is barely less than what I would pay for a complete XC bike or Diverge, with my team discount. Looks really sharp, well thought out design, and very practical.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

One of the local shops just signed up with Open and a couple of the shop employees already have their UP frames on order. First one should be her in December.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Diverge... [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
Fleck wrote:

One of the local shops just signed up with Open and a couple of the shop employees already have their UP frames on order. First one should be her in December.

$3k for a frame set......no thanks. Too much for me. Doesn't have fender and rack mounts either. Too narrow of a purpose and frankly, a hard tail 29'er might be a better option if one needs tires that large. But your milage may vary.
Last edited by: NealH: Nov 19, 15 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
Anyone ride one or own one yet? Wondering thoughts on it. Looking to add a winter/gravel/dirt road bike to stable, with the idea of MAYBE racing a cyclocross race here or there, and wondering if this bike could be raced cross if necessary??

I'd encourage you to look at the Jamis Renegade, GT Grade, and Raleigh Roker (sport).
If winter means you want studs, the bike your looking at may not offer adequate clearance, same with 35mm tires + fenders, same with some 1x gear choices.

Just as a triathlon can be raced on a road bike, a 'CX race can be done on these adventure platforms. The minor geo tweaks won't keep you from being competitive; it'll just be less optimal.

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got a Diverge Comp Smart Weld in Sept. and I love its versatility. I previously owned only a tri bike, so this has been the perfect addition for me. I'm able to ride pretty much anywhere now. It functions well as a commuter bike, road bike, and off-road bike. True, it's not top notch in any of these categories, but it does it all quite well. I'm doing a lot more outdoor riding since I got this bike and I'm having a lot more fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another one to look at is the Santa Cruz Stigmata- well designed and future proofed (IMO)- blows the doors off the Open when you consider the price-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:

Out of curiosity, why not consider a Specialized CruX (if you are into Specialized frames, that is)? Is there a reason you'd choose the Diverge and not consider the Crux? Perhaps you already ruled it out.

I race my Crux and LOVE the handling (best CX bike I've owned) -- for me, it truly lives up to the marketing tag line: "A Tarmac for the dirt." (I have many thousands of miles on various Tarmacs.)

I can fit a 40c tire EASILY on it--with ~5mm on each side to spare. I generally race it with 700x33c tires, though. Since I'm racing CX, it is set up as a 42T single ring with 11-28 cassette. However, this fall I did a gravel race with quite a bit of climbing -- I slapped an FD on it and moved a compact crankset (50/34) over....and won that race.

It's a very capable bike.

If I weren't so heavily into road racing and wanted a winter bike or even a 1-bike solution, I'd consider the CruX and a few wheelset. (Where I live, the roads are already covered with ice and snow and it will be that way for the next 4+ months; I either bike on the trainer or ski (or both), so I don't really use the Crux throughout the winter.) Sure, it will be slower than a flat-out road bike for true dry road conditions, but not as much as one might think.

Just a thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were going to buy one do-it-all bike it would be the Pivot Vault. Stiff, extremely responsive frame that feels close to road race handling but beefy enough to take a thrashing. I have 38s on it now but I think 40s would fit. I've been impressed that anyone can make a bike that good on a variety of surfaces.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Diverge... [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I alluded to this above.
The Crux is so good I think it makes the Diverge redundant.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Diverge... [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:
I alluded to this above.
The Crux is so good I think it makes the Diverge redundant.

not alluded--you straight up said it!

sorry, i missed that.

great minds and all that...
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Diverge... [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed, I am considering the Crux as well as the Felt cyclocross line. I hear great things about the Crux, and if I was just racing it would likely be the one I would go with. I have an S-works Tarmac, and LOVE it. However, since in order to get to any gravel and dirt rides, I will likely often ride a fair amount of road, the Diverge seems at least worth entertaining.

Last edited by: boilerup: Nov 19, 15 21:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
Indeed, I am considering the Crux as well as the Felt cyclocross line. I hear great things about the Crux, and if I was just racing it would likely be the one I would go with. I have an S-works Tarmac, and LOVE it. However, since in order to get to any gravel and dirt rides, I will likely often ride a fair amount of road, the Diverge seems at least worth entertaining.

i guess the question is: what downsides do you see to the crux relative to the diverge?

i don't really see any. you can run narrower tires if you want, but you have the option for larger volume tires. the crux handles similar to the tarmac (i bet the diverge is solid, too).

seems to me like the crux doesn't have weaknesses relative to the diverge, only additional options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a diverge won't ride better on the road.
One of my favorite gravel rides involves a 25 mile road burn to get to the 1st stretch of dirt.
Tire are what is important for making this feel right- correct width, tread pattern and tire pressure are key.
I like a tire like the Specialized Trigger Pro (I run them tubeless), Clement LAS is another good option.
A tire that is too knobby, especially in the middle is terrible on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Diverge... [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:
a diverge won't ride better on the road.
One of my favorite gravel rides involves a 25 mile road burn to get to the 1st stretch of dirt.
Tire are what is important for making this feel right- correct width, tread pattern and tire pressure are key.
I like a tire like the Specialized Trigger Pro (I run them tubeless), Clement LAS is another good option.
A tire that is too knobby, especially in the middle is terrible on the road.

Do you ride a 1x or 2x?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad has bought one a few months ago and loves it. He also has a Roubaix that I don't think is getting much saddle time since he got the diverge.

A knobby cross tire might fit but it would be tight. If a file tread would work for the courses you want to race it would probably be OK but not ideal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2x- I run a 34/50 up front and an 11-36 in back.
I want to be able to get up anything I do offroad- a tighter gear ratio will make that tough.
I also have many climbs that are 20+ minutes, I would rather be able to choose my cadence that grind up them.
Many people I know start their gravel bike with tighter gears, if they actually get it in the dirt they end up switching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve recently looked in to a winter/CX/all-road bike; something I can knock out the winter miles on the road as well as getting off the beaten track. After looking at the available options, I came to the following conclusions based on my requirement for a genuine all rounder.

CX bikes while attractive both in features and price have inherently compromised geometry if you are going to spend a reasonable amount of your time on the road, fast tracks and gravel i.e. faster riding. Clearly if you plan to regularly race, then a CX bike makes more sense. In the context of the original and follow up posts that means Diverge, not Crux in my view.

To me a hybrid of endurance road and cross geometry offers a better balance for a genuine all rounder. On ST compromise is often a dirty word, but I think for these all-road style bikes it’s a virtue.

Mudgaurd/fender mounts were something I was quite interested in until I realised that in most cases they limit you to 30mm or 32mm tires. Fine for pure road riding but one of my key requirements was the ability to run 33mm or wider gravel and cross tires. Mudguards don’t work off road and the whole point of these bikes is to ride mixed terrain on a single ride.

I looked at 4 options with thru axles. I ideally I wanted standard 15/100 and 14/142 thru axles:

Cannondale Slate
Open U.P.
Ridley X-Trail
Specialized Diverge

I discounted the Specialized. It’s a really interesting bike but being limited to Specialized SCS wheels meant it failed the versatility test for me. I understand why Specialized went down this route, but I don’t agree. I was also a little nervous about the 35mm max tire. A lot of interesting new gravel and off-road rubber is 40mm.

The Cannondale is really interesting. The wheel and suspension choice makes it potentially a lot of fun. My wife rides a Synapse and is seriously considering the Slate. At circa. USD 4K I think it’s great value.

The Ridley is a very complete package in my view and is the embodiment of the all-road bike I described earlier. In my view this probably the best alternative to the Diverge because you can run standard wheels and bigger 40mm tires. Great geometry specs are quite decent if you plan to buy a complete bike.

Ultimately I went for the Open U.P. I think the concept is perfect for an all-road bike. Geometry is spot on. It’s fast but also stable. The fact you can run 700c 28mm race rubber, 40mm cross/gravel tires or 650B wheels with 2.1” MTB rubber make it compelling in my view.

In the pictures it’s sporting Challenge Almanzo 33mm open tubulars. I’ve just mounted some Tubeless WTB Nano’s in 40mm. The more I ride the more I value the ability to run bigger tires when venturing off-road. Due to the versatile nature of the bike I've left an additional 15mm of space on the fork steerer. If I try a couple of cross races or spend more time than planned off road I can raise the bars 10mm and run a shorter stem to get a more upright cross position.

Last edited by: GregW: Nov 20, 15 8:55
Quote Reply

Prev Next