Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Aerobar Recall error affected my Kona race
Quote | Reply
I just recently found out about the recall on the Shiv aero bars from Specialized. I was relieved and a bit angry because I experienced the fault of the aero bars without even thinking that it could be an issue with the system that they built. Last October I was racing for my first time in Kona on my brand new Shiv that I had been riding for about 6 months. It was tuned and perfect, ready to race. I took it out on a practice ride and it was fine the week before the race. The day of the race, on the downhill after Hawi, my right aero bar completely fell straight down. I stopped at the next aid station about 6 miles later but the volunteers refused to call for help and said I needed to find a van, but quite frankly I was terrified to keep riding because I couldn't even shift gears and my aero bottle kept sliding out, not to mention the fact that it was already difficult to maintain balance with the strong wind. A volunteer had a van with some tools and said that he may be able to help, he fiddled with my bike for about 18 minutes as I panicked and my emotions were bringing me to tears after all my training and hard work, minutes were just slipping away from me. He couldn't fix it afterall and I kept riding. Anyways, after about 8 more miles I finally found a van and they were able to stop and help tighten it back on after about 5 minutes. All in all it completely panicked me in terms of my race and was a huge bummer to have to go through on race day. I made the most of my race and that whole experience and I am not one to complain or blame others for these types of things and am thankful I wasn't hurt and still had the opportunity to cross the Kona finish line. But when I found out the aero bars are being recalled I couldn't help but feel like it wasn't fair that happened on the most important race of my life thus far. I am 24 and new to the sport of triathlon. Kona was a huge deal to me. Is there anything anyone would recommend I do? I saw we can go and get replacement aerobars, but maybe I should share my story with the company? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sarah Munar
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Aerobar Recall error affected my Kona race [sarahmunar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The recall was because the extension clamp bolt on the aerobars may break. I would take it in and explain the situation to the bike shop. I read elsewhere that riders who feel inconvenienced will receive a $100 credit toward Specialized merchandise.

Last edited by: Bruizer: Apr 22, 15 6:51
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Aerobar Recall error affected my Kona race [Bruizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spam?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Aerobar Recall error affected my Kona race [sarahmunar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope you were riding a Shiv Sworks...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sarahmunar wrote:
I just recently found out about the recall on the Shiv aero bars from Specialized. I was relieved and a bit angry because I experienced the fault of the aero bars without even thinking that it could be an issue with the system that they built. Last October I was racing for my first time in Kona on my brand new Shiv that I had been riding for about 6 months. It was tuned and perfect, ready to race. I took it out on a practice ride and it was fine the week before the race. The day of the race, on the downhill after Hawi, my right aero bar completely fell straight down. I stopped at the next aid station about 6 miles later but the volunteers refused to call for help and said I needed to find a van, but quite frankly I was terrified to keep riding because I couldn't even shift gears and my aero bottle kept sliding out, not to mention the fact that it was already difficult to maintain balance with the strong wind. A volunteer had a van with some tools and said that he may be able to help, he fiddled with my bike for about 18 minutes as I panicked and my emotions were bringing me to tears after all my training and hard work, minutes were just slipping away from me. He couldn't fix it afterall and I kept riding. Anyways, after about 8 more miles I finally found a van and they were able to stop and help tighten it back on after about 5 minutes. All in all it completely panicked me in terms of my race and was a huge bummer to have to go through on race day. I made the most of my race and that whole experience and I am not one to complain or blame others for these types of things and am thankful I wasn't hurt and still had the opportunity to cross the Kona finish line. But when I found out the aero bars are being recalled I couldn't help but feel like it wasn't fair that happened on the most important race of my life thus far. I am 24 and new to the sport of triathlon. Kona was a huge deal to me. Is there anything anyone would recommend I do? I saw we can go and get replacement aerobars, but maybe I should share my story with the company? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

First off, sorry to hear that you had a mechanical that affected your race! That sucks Kona or not!

Did the bolt break or did it just come loose? From reading the articles and talking to my LBS mechanic and owner the concern/issue is/was that the bolts could sheer off without warning. If it just came loose, that sounds like the mechanic who made sure the bike was race ready messed up and didn't tighten the bolts enough. If the bolt actually broke, then that would be in line with the issue for the recall.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Last edited by: ScottWrigleyFit: Apr 22, 15 9:06
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Aerobar Recall error affected my Kona race [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always carry a multi tool/chain tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Aerobar Recall error affected my Kona race [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sara

This fault happen to me two, the bolt that holds one of the aerobars broke, I loose control and felt down hard. Fortunally I didn´t broke anything, but my helmet broke and hurt my neck. I´m 3 weeks away from my first Ironman, and I don´t want to ride my bike until specialized replace the faulty parts. My recommendation is not to ride the bike until you get the parts replace. Go to your dealer and put a lot of presure so they can replace it quickly. After 2 weeks I havent get the replacement.

I´m live in Mexico and they haven´t gave the importance to communicate about this recall. I have try to spread my story so people that have Specialized Shiv know about this problem.´

Cesar Anaya
Quote Reply