Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Special ops 2.0 tint question
Quote | Reply
I am giving these a shot (worn swedes my whole life but want to try polarized).

I ordered the standard white pair, the tint is blue mirror but not very strong.

Anyone used these for early morning super sunny ocean swims?

What tint is best for those conditions?

Thinking of sending these back and getting something darker.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: TYR Special ops 2.0 goggles tint question [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bueller?

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Special ops 2.0 tint question [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use clear or light blue goggles for 90% of my race swims. I typically only use darker lenses for outdoor training.

The 'free' Special Ops goggles we received in our Kona packets last year were mirrored lenses, and it started to flake off after 3-4 weeks.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: TYR Special ops 2.0 goggles tint question [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always preferred orange tints for my outdoor goggles.
I think the tint I have on my Special Ops is the "smoke red mirror" and that's been decent for the couple of early mornings I've used them. I love the polarized lens, although I find that the anti-fog on the Special Ops only lasts a couple of swims. For that reason I've used a new pair for each of my last couple of races.

**Disclaimer: I don't usually do early mornings. I like bed around that time of day.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Re: Special ops 2.0 tint question [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which ones will you where for Kona this year?

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have that pair and I like them. I've used them for early morning lake swims with the sun in my sight line. I thought the did great!
Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not going to Kona this year.

Until Roka comes out officially with goggles, I wear Zoggs. I have a pair of Polarized smoke goggles I wear for outdoor swimming. I wear light blue tinted Zoggs for all other swimming, including my races.

I am NOT sponsored by Zoggs. I buy them from our local bike shop.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Special ops 2.0 tint question [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha, I have always used mirror smoke swedes for races, but they are not polarized. I THINK what I am realizing is that my issue was not with how dark they were but rather with the glare.

I am hopeful these lighter tint ones with polarization will allow me to see better in general (not darker than necessary and cutting out all the glare.

I am also curious about the fog film. I hear it wears out, I have tried spitting in there with some success (works for pool work for me, but I always have trouble on race day), I have used baby shampoo occasionally, that works too, but it sure would be great if they just didn't fog up.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
I am giving these a shot (worn swedes my whole life but want to try polarized).

life time swimmer?

bufit323 wrote:
Anyone used these for early morning super sunny ocean swims?

What tint is best for those conditions?

Thinking of sending these back and getting something darker.

I almost always wear clear-metallics/mirrored (http://www.tyr.com/...allized-goggles.html -- clear ice) for races and early morning swims. The reason being that much of the water that we swim in is pretty dark and therefore going from dark to, say, looking for a buoy on the horizon right near the sun, has our eyes dilated and trying to see an object in the dark foreground is next to impossible with dark lenses. The clear let the light in and the mirror provides a modicum of glare protection.

Now for morning swims in Kona or an ocean swim where the water is very clear and light transparent I will wear a dark mirrored. A mid day swim in a lake with poor visibility I will also wear a dark mirrored lens as there will be no issues of light contrast when sighting (sun overhead).

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply