Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spec tarmac SL6 sizing
Quote | Reply
Thinking about getting a new road bike. I recently test rode Spec Tarmac SL6 and I like it but I'm not sure about sizing. It seems that I'm between sizes. I'm 189cm (6'2,5") with 87,5cm (34.5") inseam. My current bike is Ridley Noah in XL size and the saddle height is 82cm. The test bike was size 58 (Spec rep said it fits me fine). I felt comfortable on the bike, front end was a little lower than my current setup, but that's because I have 2cm more spacers below the stem.
It was only when I saw the pic that I realized how much of the seatpost is sticking out. Seems like much, but this is still well below min insertion mark.
What do you say?

Last edited by: lazybiker: Dec 9, 17 6:58
Quote Reply
Re: Spec tarmac SL6 sizing [lazybiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Your height leads me to say 58cm especially if you have good flexibility which it appears that you do, but your 82cm saddle height and a couple spacers under the stem leads me to say 61cm. And I think the latter is more important therefore 61 is my recommendation. Or at least I recommend you try the 61. You’re making a sizable investment in one of the best road bikes on the market so be sure you get the most appropriate size.

Having said this, in my experience Spec reps are generally pretty good on eyeball fits. If it were me though, I would want a bit more confirmation on your fit before laying down long green.
Last edited by: NealH: Dec 9, 17 8:56
Quote Reply
Re: Spec tarmac SL6 sizing [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went from a 52 cm Venge to a 52 SL6 Tarmac and it seems more seatpost showing as well, however well below minimum mark and a good fit still after two weeks riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
going from 58 to 6:
Reach Increases 6mm
Stack Increases 21mm
Seat tube length increases 30mm.

Therefore:
Moving up nets you less seat post exposed
(which may reduce rear end compliance (seat posts are less stiff than frame, so more cushion (and maybe more bob)))

Moving up would have you slam your stem

Moving up would reduce stem length by 5mm from the appropriate stem on the 58.

If you need a 120 or longer stem on the 58, I would move up for sure
If you feel cramped along the top tube on the 58, I would move up for sure..
If you want a more compliant ride, I would stay 58

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spec tarmac SL6 sizing [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys!
The problem is, they don't have a 61 to test ride.
From what I understand, tarmac geometry is very similar to Venge (same stack and reach) and there is an online sizing tool for the Venge here: https://b2b.retul.com/...s-sizing/45748/find/
If I input measurements from my current bike, it puts me on a 61 frame with a 58 as a good fit too, depending on preferences. If I remove just 1cm of spacers from my current setup, the sizing tool puts me on a 58cm frame. I guess it is because I have a "lot" (40mm) of spacers below the stem now - so I guess I'm not that flexible (I've done a bike fit).
The recommended stem length is 105mm (58cm) or 95mm (61cm). Given that Venge is 5mm "longer", this would require a 110mm stem on a 58cm tarmac - and that was what a test bike had. It's just that the front end was lower than my current bike, but that didn't bother me on a 1:30h test ride.
I was expecting a harsher ride, but it was anything but harsh - maybe due to longer seat tube showing (as xtrpickels pointed out). And maybe those 26mm turbo cotton tires helped. I deliberately took it over some pretty rough roads and was very pleased with the comfort.
Quote Reply
Re: Spec tarmac SL6 sizing [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:

thread over

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Spec tarmac SL6 sizing [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
xtrpickels wrote:

thread over

meaning I shouldn't move up?

BTW moving up I would still have 2cm of spacers (If I want to keep the current setup )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to add to your thought process here -- the specialized aerofly handlebar with the 25mm rise is very nice and doesn't look as stupid in person as it does in photos. For what you are spending on that bike, the shop might be willing to swap from the stock bar.

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Spec tarmac SL6 sizing [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My co-worker got the 25 mm rise bar, it is awkward to hold if you hold the handlebar close to the stem when you are climbing, but aside from that, that rise is very minimal and you wont notice it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lazybiker wrote:
I'm 189cm (6'2,5") with 87,5cm (34.5") inseam. My current bike is Ridley Noah in XL size and the saddle height is 82cm.

If those numbers are accurate, I'd hazard a guess that your seat is too high.
Quote Reply
Re: Spec tarmac SL6 sizing [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
lazybiker wrote:
I'm 189cm (6'2,5") with 87,5cm (34.5") inseam. My current bike is Ridley Noah in XL size and the saddle height is 82cm.

If those numbers are accurate, I'd hazard a guess that your seat is too high.

I'm sure about my height, but I measured my inseam once more and it's 89cm (35"). I got fitted on my current bike and the seat height is 81.8 cm. FWIW my saddle is ISM Adamo which, according to their web site, should be slightly lower than traditional saddle.

Oh, and just to clarify - I'm not buying the complete bike - just the frame (but it's still a lot of $$$)
Quote Reply