Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

South Beach tri
Quote | Reply
Did anyone do the South Beach triathlon this year? I did Nautica five years in a row, but wasn't too happy when Lifetime did it last year so I skipped. Was it any good?

Tempo - World's Most Affordable and Accurate Power meter!
http://www.tempopowermeters.com
https://www.facebook.com/...ter-233979693610062/
Social : @tempopowermeter
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach tri [grs6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes i raced it....i do not race triathlons for podium anymore...so run and swim times are slow.

how was the race?
* raced nautica in 2009, 2010, 2011
* raced lifetime in 2014, 2015

My biggest issue was with the course in 2014 changed to a 1 mile beach run and plastic baggy to make things see through which couldn't hold jack shit. For 2015 they have changed the course back to original nautica course which made things much better and the plastic baggy to allow transition bags.

Overall good race, can be a hit or miss on weather....depends on how much you like to race in heat. I recommended the race to a couple of out of towners who did the race and they really enjoyed it.
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach tri [trix99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I was very happy that we didn't get to do another 1mi sand run ;) The heat was horrible this year and I think for the first time in many years it wasn't wetsuit legal.
My only issue is that my timing chip didn't work and a bunch of other people had the same problem. They were able to fix my final time in the end but I lost all the intermediate splits. Also happy that I've won my age group ;)

I think they did a good job overall and will come back.
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach tri [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it 2011 and 2012 and then again this year. It was well organized as it was the last 2 times I did it. This was my first time with a car in SoBe and I'd have to say it's terrible trying to traverse down there for registration.

I was actually expecting the run course to be the beach run of doom but was happily surprised that we did not need to do that. For those of us that started early, we were fortunate that the clouds were overhead for the majority of the race. I felt bad for those that had to run under that sun.

E
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach tri [eazyc10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good point...

i think the major point that is frustrating is traffic and parking....

parking was $50 in most lots on saturday....valet parking $50...that is quite frankly ridiculous...

sunday parking in a garage cost me $30, again ridiculous...i could have parked the street but didn't...

however for my out of town friends, they were quite frankly really happy since they had hotels around 5-7th street.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lot on 5th and Washington was $80 on Saturday. It literally took me 1 hour to drive from the bike drop off at 5th to my hotel between 10th and 11th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced it every year since it started. The baggy thing was what put it over the top for me last year. I had to go try and pack all my gear in two little thing plastic bags which doesn't make any sense. The other thing last year was having to get your gear inspected before going into transition. I created a huge line and a lot of time wasted.

The other reason why I didn't do it this year was because last year there were people strolling along the course (bike) in the street and I almost hit someone walking a baby carriage across the bike course. The roads were not in good shape either.

I may ride it out another year to see if they improve it a little more because it is a little too pricey (entrance AND parking) in order to be having these issues.

Tempo - World's Most Affordable and Accurate Power meter!
http://www.tempopowermeters.com
https://www.facebook.com/...ter-233979693610062/
Social : @tempopowermeter
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach tri [eazyc10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lot on 5th is a total ripoff. I saw the $50 sign on race morning and told them to fuck off. I went to the public lot on 7th st and ended up paying $7 for the entire race day until 1pm.
Every year I went to the lot on 5th and it was $20 - $30... this time they really went overboard. I'm glad I found the other one.

eazyc10 wrote:
The lot on 5th and Washington was $80 on Saturday. It literally took me 1 hour to drive from the bike drop off at 5th to my hotel between 10th and 11th.
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach tri [grs6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
life time cut the pro budget to zero so there were no pros this year.

parking on the street is dirt cheap and there should be plenty of spots freeing up from drunk clubbers who are leaving right around when you should be pulling up.
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach tri [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not on Saturday.

I had to park 15 blocks from transition.
Quote Reply