Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sore/tight goggles > 30 mins of continuous swim Speedo MDR 2.4
Quote | Reply
So I am doing Sunday continuous swims of 2,500+ yards in the lap pool and these guys really start to pressurize and hurt my eyes/bridge after about halfway through (am slow). I don't pressurize super tight at beginning, but tight enough to prevent leaks. I do flip turns. I am worried this will happen during a race which is kind of a distraction if I have to stop and adjust while treading water or go on back. I know I can stop swimming and fix in the pool but am worried about OWS.
- Any alternative goggles - these are typical pool ones?
- Is this common?
- For OWS do you adjust goggles on your back or tread water? What about a foot cramp?

Many Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore/tight goggles > 30 mins of continuous swim Speedo MDR 2.4 [primapronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also made the mistake of buying these, with the exact same result. For an advertised "outside eye socket" model, I can only assume it fits like this on a newborn baby because it sure doesn't fit like this on me. But like saddles, some people get along fine with them and some don't. You and me obviously number among the ones that don't.

The "X1" ROKA is good for the distance and reasonably comfortable, and good clarity. Field of view is a bit limited, but no worse than some other goggles on the market. It does seal outside the eye socket. I found their new "F1" model to be painful to wear. The Speedo Hydrospec (or Hydrospec Classic) is....well, sort of a classic. Its been around a while and there is a good reason. It's comfort is above average, durability is very good, and clarity is uniformly excellent, although no better angle of view than most goggles. It also seals outside the eye socket. I have the AquaSphere Kaiman and its Ok, reasonable comfort(outside socket sealing) and average clarity - but only average. It would not be my first choice in a long swim. The AS Keyenne model maybe a more comfortable as it it bigger I believe, but I have not tried it. I have tried a Speedo and Aquashere full face type goggle but really didn't like either for general swimming. Just a bit too bulky and they don't always seal as well. If it matches your face well, you're in luck. But if any part doesn't, it tends to eventually leak.

Verdict: There are other vendors and models but, my advice is to get a Speedo Hydrospec or Roka X1 and use these while your search for the perfect goggle continues.
Last edited by: NealH: Jul 25, 16 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: Sore/tight goggles > 30 mins of continuous swim Speedo MDR 2.4 [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many Thanks! Will check these out.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore/tight goggles > 30 mins of continuous swim Speedo MDR 2.4 [primapronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the goggle fits/seals well, you should not need a lot of strap tension. Everyone's face is different (I love the concept of the Roka R1, but they just did not fit my face and had to return them; I race in Zoggs Predators and they fit great [as do Kaimans and Spec Ops2.0]), go to a shop with a large selection and try on a bunch to see what fits YOU.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Sore/tight goggles > 30 mins of continuous swim Speedo MDR 2.4 [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
If the goggle fits/seals well, you should not need a lot of strap tension. .

This. Tinker around with the strap tension, I find that there is a very fine line between too tight and too loose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/img]

I train in these. Barracuda goggles with Tempurpedic-type foam gaskets that minimize the racoon-eyes and are truly comfortable.[/img]

and I race in these. Barracuda goggle with rubber gaskets that also sit well outside the eye socket. It is an individual journey. Once you get >30 minutes, comfort becomes a significant concern, at least for me.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Sore/tight goggles > 30 mins of continuous swim Speedo MDR 2.4 [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
[/img]

I train in these. Barracuda goggles with Tempurpedic-type foam gaskets that minimize the racoon-eyes and are truly comfortable.[/img]

and I race in these. Barracuda goggle with rubber gaskets that also sit well outside the eye socket. It is an individual journey. Once you get >30 minutes, comfort becomes a significant concern, at least for me.

wow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three goggles I can recommend in this order:

Aqua Sphere Kayenne
Aqua Sphere Kaiman
Aqua Sphere Kaiman EXO

These 3 goggles all fit slight different and have a patented curved lens technology that gives you a wider field of view, ease of adjustment, and soft gaskets.

Goggles are a very individual thing, and I highly recommend trying the goggles on before buying them. One thing to keep in mind, if you put your goggles on and push them on to your eyes, you are creating deep suction that is likely to cause pressure over time. Try to put the goggles on and pull light tension on the straps. The tighter you pull the straps on larger lens goggles, the worse the fit will be in most cases. If you have to, push the goggles on to your eyes lightly.

The ease of adjustment on all Aqua Sphere goggles really helps to find the right strap tension, as you can easily adjust the goggle while it is on your head.

There are other goggles out there, but I recommend giving at least two of the 3 goggles above a shot.

If you have any questions, please feel free to hit me up.

Disclaimer: I am a bit biased as I do work for Aqua Sphere.

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Sore/tight goggles > 30 mins of continuous swim Speedo MDR 2.4 [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what its worth Ive always has issues with goggle fitment and have had to wear them really tight to make a seal. I tried the speedo mtr and they were painfull!
I finally tried tyr spec ops and they are awsome. I can adjust the strap to just lightly snug and they stay sealed just fine. I use them for 1,1/2 hrs at a time with out touching them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
primapronto wrote:
So I am doing Sunday continuous swims of 2,500+ yards in the lap pool and these guys really start to pressurize and hurt my eyes/bridge after about halfway through (am slow). I don't pressurize super tight at beginning, but tight enough to prevent leaks. I do flip turns. I am worried this will happen during a race which is kind of a distraction if I have to stop and adjust while treading water or go on back. I know I can stop swimming and fix in the pool but am worried about OWS.
- Any alternative goggles - these are typical pool ones?
- Is this common?
- For OWS do you adjust goggles on your back or tread water? What about a foot cramp?
Many Thanks.

Try the original Swedish goggles. They're cheap and comfy once you get them adjusted properly. Been wearing same pair for 8 yrs and routinely do 1.5 hr swim workouts with no adjustment. In about 110 races, i can't recall ever having to stop to adjust my goggles.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Sore/tight goggles > 30 mins of continuous swim Speedo MDR 2.4 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Swedish goggles"
-----------------------------
Same here.

Q - it seems the straps aren't as good as they used to be. For the nose piece do you use a piece of strap or the string? I'm thinking of switching to the string and if you do that could your share your method of fitting/tying the string.

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore/tight goggles > 30 mins of continuous swim Speedo MDR 2.4 [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fit them without the string to get a ballpark of how long the string needs to be. tie them with a loose knot, no strap, and get them pretty close (slightly long). then twist the string to get it a little tighter until they are the right length.

then fit the strap.

throw away the OEM strap and get a bungee strap. much better.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Sore/tight goggles > 30 mins of continuous swim Speedo MDR 2.4 [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
"Swedish goggles"
-----------------------------
Same here.

Q - it seems the straps aren't as good as they used to be. For the nose piece do you use a piece of strap or the string? I'm thinking of switching to the string and if you do that could your share your method of fitting/tying the string. Thanks,

For the nose piece, I've always used the string. I tie it such that there is just a little dab of visible string at either end of the nose piece, and tie it with just a simple square knot. I then trim off any extra string; though i've seen many Oly class swimmers with string hanging on their noses, i just don't like it. Regarding the straps, i've never liked those original rubber ones but rather i've used a thin bungee cord strap. I'm on my 3rd bungee strap and 2nd string nose piece in about 8 yrs. The original goggles were $5 and the bungee straps are about $5 also, so about $20 on my goggles in 8 yrs, plus the current bungee is only a year old, so really maybe $20 in 10 yrs. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My spacing between my eyes is a bit narrow, and goggles constructed so the lenses and nose piece are one solid part don't work for me. I would have to tighten them to the point of discomfort and still have to deal with leaks/poor fit. In my experience, a good fit is primarily dependent on matching the distance between each lens to your face.
My go to choice are Speedo Vanquishers, which come with several nose pieces of varying width. They never leak, and having coached literally thousands of swimmers over the years cannot recall a single one who couldn't use these successfully. Other manufacturers use similar designs, so you could probably use TYR or Nike or whatever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually use the latex straps until those start to deteriorate, usually in 3-4 weeks of 4-5x/week. I also use the included nose string and tube.

Tricks that work like magic:
-For the nosepiece, use a strip of butyl tube from a punctured tube. I cut it to be about as wide as the head straps, and about 2" long, with a tapered point so I can string it into the nosepiece holes. I put the tube over it to protect my nose. I leave only a tiny bit of it after cutting so I can adjust if needed. Butyl is really durable and can last for months, plus you can make tiny adjustments as needed day-to-day. This is a great solution because as a sometime triathlete and bike commuter, I've got lots of pinched tubes laying about. It's also easy to prepare, and won't slip as easily as a poorly-tied string. I DON'T use a piece of the head strap because it will deteriorate quickly.

-At the pool, find a broken pair of Vanquisher or anything else with thin straps, and use the head strap. The nosepiece on those are always breaking, and some kid with a broken pair will always ditch those. Or, use a bungee, but be sure it's a pretty stretchy bungee, and not the Sporti brand from swimoutlet.com, which are too rigid.

My current setups (now I'm talking like a triathlete describing bikes and equipment, but in my case, the total is <$25): indoor training/meets is a pair of blue-mirror Original Swedish goggles (no gasket) with a butyl/tube nosepiece and a Dolphino silicone strap I found on a discarded pair of goggles. Outdoor and lake training is a pair of Tyr Eclipse (Swedish copy with thin gasket), string nose/tube, and bungee I found on a discarded pair.

I gave away the dark brown pair I wore outdoors last year at Spring masters nationals in San Antonio, two OW races, and during the USMS 10k and 5k pool swims. I used a single thin strap from a discarded pair of expensive Speedo goggles. I've also NEVER gotten an elbow or knee to the eye nor had these break or fall off or leak in an OW race, pool race, triathlon, or training.

I know I sound like I'm proselytizing, but I really do believe in this style. For naysayers, I'll point out the following: I wear those in complete comfort in long pool and OW races, as well as training. Many top OW swimmers wear these in races and training, and those events and training sessions are MUCH longer and more frequent than anything any triathlete does. In terms of fit, I'd say that I've had teammates of every facial shape and from every genetic heritage, men and women, wear these. I've even convinced two masters swimmers, ladies who are 60 and 72, and a pair of triathlete brothers in their early 50s to wear these. These WILL work for almost everyone if you give those a chance.

It's like this: the best distance runners in the world, people from the Kenyan highlands, often start running fully minimalist, either barefoot or with cheap shoes or hand-me-downs. Same thing with these goggles: completely minimalist and cheap, and the choice of some of the best in the world who race in the exact same conditions (only longer and more varied) as triathletes. Only one difference: these can be bought and worn NEW for minimalist prices.

One final note, to tie together the fit, comfort, performance, price, and customization/interchangeability is that so many expensive goggles that in fact SUCK and suck the money from your wallet are pretty fragile and have no way of being fixed if broken at the nose or straps, because those have custom parts that aren't interchangeable. For $30-80, you've bought goggles that will break or lose "anti fog," and are therefore completely useless. Meanwhile, a strap or nosepiece breaks on these $4-12 Swedish goggles, and you can ditch the pair, buy another for cheap, or make some quick fixes.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore/tight goggles > 30 mins of continuous swim Speedo MDR 2.4 [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow - Great summery I've been wearing swedes for close to 30 years but 1) got my eye sliced at an open water start a few years back, and 2) the straps just don't seem to be as good as they used to be.

Your post was just in time - my son popped a 29er yesterday and wanted to know what to do with the tube - > lifetime supply of nose bridges!

Thanks,

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore/tight goggles > 30 mins of continuous swim Speedo MDR 2.4 [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I usually use the latex straps until those start to deteriorate, usually in 3-4 weeks of 4-5x/week. I also use the included nose string and tube.

Tricks that work like magic:
-For the nosepiece, use a strip of butyl tube from a punctured tube. I cut it to be about as wide as the head straps, and about 2" long, with a tapered point so I can string it into the nosepiece holes. I put the tube over it to protect my nose. I leave only a tiny bit of it after cutting so I can adjust if needed. Butyl is really durable and can last for months, plus you can make tiny adjustments as needed day-to-day. This is a great solution because as a sometime triathlete and bike commuter, I've got lots of pinched tubes laying about. It's also easy to prepare, and won't slip as easily as a poorly-tied string. I DON'T use a piece of the head strap because it will deteriorate quickly.

-At the pool, find a broken pair of Vanquisher or anything else with thin straps, and use the head strap. The nosepiece on those are always breaking, and some kid with a broken pair will always ditch those. Or, use a bungee, but be sure it's a pretty stretchy bungee, and not the Sporti brand from swimoutlet.com, which are too rigid.

My current setups (now I'm talking like a triathlete describing bikes and equipment, but in my case, the total is <$25): indoor training/meets is a pair of blue-mirror Original Swedish goggles (no gasket) with a butyl/tube nosepiece and a Dolphino silicone strap I found on a discarded pair of goggles. Outdoor and lake training is a pair of Tyr Eclipse (Swedish copy with thin gasket), string nose/tube, and bungee I found on a discarded pair.

I gave away the dark brown pair I wore outdoors last year at Spring masters nationals in San Antonio, two OW races, and during the USMS 10k and 5k pool swims. I used a single thin strap from a discarded pair of expensive Speedo goggles. I've also NEVER gotten an elbow or knee to the eye nor had these break or fall off or leak in an OW race, pool race, triathlon, or training.

I know I sound like I'm proselytizing, but I really do believe in this style. For naysayers, I'll point out the following: I wear those in complete comfort in long pool and OW races, as well as training. Many top OW swimmers wear these in races and training, and those events and training sessions are MUCH longer and more frequent than anything any triathlete does. In terms of fit, I'd say that I've had teammates of every facial shape and from every genetic heritage, men and women, wear these. I've even convinced two masters swimmers, ladies who are 60 and 72, and a pair of triathlete brothers in their early 50s to wear these. These WILL work for almost everyone if you give those a chance.

It's like this: the best distance runners in the world, people from the Kenyan highlands, often start running fully minimalist, either barefoot or with cheap shoes or hand-me-downs. Same thing with these goggles: completely minimalist and cheap, and the choice of some of the best in the world who race in the exact same conditions (only longer and more varied) as triathletes. Only one difference: these can be bought and worn NEW for minimalist prices.

One final note, to tie together the fit, comfort, performance, price, and customization/interchangeability is that so many expensive goggles that in fact SUCK and suck the money from your wallet are pretty fragile and have no way of being fixed if broken at the nose or straps, because those have custom parts that aren't interchangeable. For $30-80, you've bought goggles that will break or lose "anti fog," and are therefore completely useless. Meanwhile, a strap or nosepiece breaks on these $4-12 Swedish goggles, and you can ditch the pair, buy another for cheap, or make some quick fixes.

Great point, I see many novice swimmers carrying their goggles to the pool's edge in their official "goggle case" so that they won't take any chances with getting them hurt. Holy Sheet Batman, Swedish goggles are pretty much indestructible with no special case required, and they last virtually forever as long as you change out the eyepiece and strap when they wear out. I still use the old school string, and only had to replace it last year, after 7 yrs and about 10.5 million yards. The bungee cord straps have lasted around 5-6 million yards, and sometimes i just replace b/c they're too dirty. I spend a whopping $5 every 3 yrs or so for a new bungee strap. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Sore/tight goggles > 30 mins of continuous swim Speedo MDR 2.4 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do like the string, but I probably need to tie it better since the goggles sometimes get slightly looser over time. I use the butyl tube deal sometimes to avoid that.

I know these goggles last forever, and that's part of the charm. However, I do like the little reward of a brand-new pair from time to time. A little thrill for $4-5 bucks every 6 months or so as I plug away toward the annual goal of 1M y!
Quote Reply
Re: Sore/tight goggles > 30 mins of continuous swim Speedo MDR 2.4 [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
[/img]

The silver one looks like it should shoot tiny lasers.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore/tight goggles > 30 mins of continuous swim Speedo MDR 2.4 [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
[/img]

The silver one looks like it should shoot tiny
lasers.

If I'm not mistaken, when Andy Potts was sponsored by Barracuda, they probably did ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I do like the string, but I probably need to tie it better since the goggles sometimes get slightly looser over time. I use the butyl tube deal sometimes to avoid that.

I know these goggles last forever, and that's part of the charm. However, I do like the little reward of a brand-new pair from time to time. A little thrill for $4-5 bucks every 6 months or so as I plug away toward the annual goal of 1M y!

One thing i do when the string stretches out is to just twist the goggles one turn, which seems to even things up nicely. I must admit though that i have no "system" for tying the string. I just tie and it seems to work fine for 2-3 yrs, then i apply the twist when hey get too loose. No science or engineering involved here. :)

Regarding buying new Swedes every 6 months or so, you're such a hedonist, rashly spending an extra $10 per year. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lilly King doesn't trim the string :-)!

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya, I saw that in a diff picture and posted a pic of her swimming in the "Death of the Swede" thread last night. I guess the string never tickles her nose as it does mine. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer to have my goggles super tight for races but they give me a headache of too tight during practice and towards the end of an IM swim. I use a bungee goggle strap (costs a few dollars from swim outlet) so I can adjust them tighter or looser in a second while treading water or in the middle of a set. That way you can buy the goggles that fit your face the best and just trade out the strap.
Quote Reply