Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sometimes it takes a while to work out what is wrong; Great to be back.
Quote | Reply
A PROBLEM THAT WOULDN'T GO AWAY UNTIL IT WAS DECODED:

I had a great year in 2013, reaching AWA Bronze (not bad in my 70s), but a terrible 2014. I just couldn't run. Turned out that I had a subluxated pelvis from a bike wreck in 2013. When I tried to run, my right lateral gastroc would cramp up and my left leg would 'turn to jelly.' Stretch my hamstrings every 200 yards and I could just get along. On the bike, one of my riding partners noticed my left knee would move laterally on every turn of the pedals. It ruined my 2014 race season. Then my friend and massage therapist, Tara, said, "Kevin, maybe something is misaligned." A visit (one visit) to a great Osteopath proved this was the case, and he put it right back where it belonged - magic hands.

My running is coming back, I'm signed up Eagleman in the summer, and for Western Australia IM 2015, and happy.

It was very subtle, but completely crippling. It also triggered my second case of plantar fasciitis, with a definite tendency for pain on my lateral left foot (see area 4 my attached plantar fasciitis pain distribution map - I'm researching plantar fasciitis, which is fascinating). If you're interested, you can sign up for our Plantar Fasciitis Research Newsletter at this link. I have heard of two other cases of plantar fasciitis pain in this location, both of which were associated with a misaligned pelvis. Anyone else know anything about this?

Wishing everyone a great 2015 race season, especially the old farts.

kevin aka FitOldDog
Quote Reply
Re: Sometimes it takes a while to work out what is wrong; Great to be back. [FitOldDog_Again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Dog

The hips can control where the feet land and how they function. The knee is just generally along for the ride. Lots of foot and knee problems in runners originate at the hip. Run gait can get a bit complex. It is fortunate that you found someone who knows what they are doing, otherwise you would have just gotten orthotics (a band aid fix) or motion control shoes. Keep rolling.........

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: Sometimes it takes a while to work out what is wrong; Great to be back. [FitOldDog_Again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Welcome back FitOldDog. I know where you are coming from having had heel spurs on back of both feet resulting in surgery and a long road to recovery (including losing my job) and then a few months ago badly injuring my right leg. Right now I am up to running an incredible 9:15 pace, a far cry from my low 7 minute/mile pace that I ran last year. But I am pleased that I am back on my feet and working out again.

Take care and good luck.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Sometimes it takes a while to work out what is wrong; Great to be back. [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree! Those hip rotators determine the direction of forces through my foot. This sure was an interesting experience, but not one I want to repeat. Thanks for the comments. -k
Quote Reply
Re: Sometimes it takes a while to work out what is wrong; Great to be back. [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you're back, and 9:15 is fine as you rehab. Patience is the key, if we want to run for our whole life. I think I'm addicted to running. Not the biking or the swimming, just the running. Hate it when I can't. Glad you are getting over it. -k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been injured for a while now all things mentioned were done Orthotics, gait analysis. Very close to surgery right now. Maybe it is time for me to go back in for a alignment? I wonder if Dave Greenfield is around still. That was part of his fit process best fit I ever had. Glad you are back!!

Last edited by: Bmanners: Mar 5, 15 3:02
Quote Reply
Re: Sometimes it takes a while to work out what is wrong; Great to be back. [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your history again, maybe we can help. -k
Quote Reply
Re: Sometimes it takes a while to work out what is wrong; Great to be back. [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd try the ASTRO before surgery, or shockwave. Have you seen our interactive treatment map and our latest plantar fasciitis research results?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Planters fasciitis a few years ago. Now for the last year n a half my left ankle had a burn spur or calcium build up break off ankle and work itself under my Achilles where it wraps around ankle bone. Pain full as hell. Been resting it , shocking (tens)it and stretching it. Finally running on it again a little. Doesn't feel to bad after it stretches in morning. But can tell by feeling if I teain for anymore then a sprint it will blow up again.

Quote | Reply
Oh! Boy, it does sound like a case for surgery, as you don't want chronic damage to your Achilles. Just make sure you find a surgeon who knows what they're doing. When you rehab, remember to consider the sandpit test, which I learned from Danny Dreyer's book. Here is a link where I talk about it. Sure helps me to protect my Achilles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FitOldDog_Again wrote:
Oh! Boy, it does sound like a case for surgery, as you don't want chronic damage to your Achilles. Just make sure you find a surgeon who knows what they're doing. When you rehab, remember to consider the sandpit test, which I learned from Danny Dreyer's book. Here is a link where I talk about it. Sure helps me to protect my Achilles.
thanks I will check it links!!
The Doc said if the stretching and rest does not work they can try realesing the calf muscle a bit so here is less tightness in the Achilles.
And if that does not work they can cut the Achilles in a upside down V like cut to take the bone spur or calcium deposit out. Not sure if I like either of them options. I am going to try to stick it out this year and do the stretch and only sprints. Just hope I can lose enough eight to be semi competitive. They cave me some pills that really put some weight on me along with not running :0(

Quote | Reply
Hi Bmanners, if you want your calves to let go, I find that it doesn't help to stretch my calves, that just pulls on my Achilles. Instead, I stretch my hamstrings and roll my calves. It also helps to feel as though you are having a conversation with your calves, not just doing things to them, odd as this might sound. They're alive. Works for me, anyway. It can take time and patience. If that helps, let me know, as I don't like those surgeries when there are other approaches available. Also, consider a couple of Feldenkrais sessions to see what is going on. cheers, kevin PS my buddy did great in New Zealand, but it sure messed up my sleep following him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks will do all those more regular than I have been. What is Feldrenkrais? And

Quote | Reply
Hi Bmanners, I benefited from Feldenkrais years ago - it was like magic, and highly recommended for any athlete or anyone who wants to keep moving into old age. Happy Trails. kevin
Quote Reply