Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sometimes Race Day doesn't go how you expected it to
Quote | Reply
Yesterday was my 'A' race, if I have one: the NJ State Triathlon. Not only is it a triathlon, but it is also the official NJ championship, and also the Mid-Atlantic Regional championship. So lots of bling (and I do mean bling) at stake.

Two things concerned me going in. I tweaked my calf last Sunday running too fast, so no running on it at all this week, and I didn't know how it would hold up. Also, there was a guy aging up who, on paper, seemed quite a bit faster than me.

The water was 80.x for the sprint on Saturday, so I was looking forward to a non-wetsuit swim on Sunday. We also appeared to avoid the 90+ high humidity day that we always seem to get. It looked to be in the 70s during the race, and overcast.

For once, the bike racks would be individually numbered, so no need to get there at 0 dark thirty to get a prime spot. Also, each returning NJ State champ would get a little NJ State flag at his/her spot, which was a cute little touch (also was convenient for locating the spot in T2!).

I set my alarm for 4:40am, as transition opened at 5:45 and it's about an hour from home. First fun surprise of the day: I was having a dream in which I was on a bus and couldn't figure out where to get off the bus, and someone was tapping me on the shoulder. This woke me up, and my watch said 5:15am. Turns out that my watch alarm has a "Weekdays" setting, which is what I used. Oops. I managed to get out the door, bagels in hand, in five minutes. It took me only 40 minutes or so to get to the site, so I wasn't too far behind. It had rained overnight, and was a bit cooler than expected.

Parking is in a huge field, and for some reason they started putting people at the far end first. So I was quite a distance away. No problem. Walked the bike (leaving the wetsuit behind), got body marked and heard that the water was 77.5, so wetsuits were legal. Bummer and second surprise. Set up my transition area, and noted that my competitor had not yet shown up. Took the bike out for the critical warmup, and re-racked. Finally saw the guy, and noted his uniform and bike.

As our 55-59 wave was DFL, I had an hour after transition closed to get ready. I chatted briefly with Doug Clark before he started, then walked back to my car to get my wetsuit. I noted that they had almost filled the parking area, so I drove my car out and back and ended up very close to transition.

Swim went well, but afterwards I was surprised (#3) to see that someone in my AG had out-split me. Possibly the first time (other than Nationals) that's happened in nearly a decade. No big deal. Almost forgot: running into T1, a friend yelled to me that I had dropped my goggles, so I had to backtrack and pick them up. Thanks, Moira!

Started the bike, and found that my computer was no longer registering after about 2 miles (surprise #4). My vintage 1999 or so PowerTap hub had finally died a few weeks ago, so I switched back to a Cateye. Turns out it slipped down the fork just a bit. Luckily, the course had a dozen or so mile markers in the 25 mile distance, so all that math I do in my head allowed me to at least figure out my average speed (take current elapsed time, subtract time leaving T1, divide by miles, etc.) during the race.

I kept waiting for fast guy to catch me. I figured it would be somewhere between 15 and 20 miles. Kept waiting. Approaching T2, still no pass. Surprise #5. Did my transition and went out. We had to run downhill to the exit, and then back uphill next to transition, so I passed by our racks and noted that his spot (in fact, the entire area) was still empty.

The run course has three out-and-backs at about half a mile, 2 miles, and around 4.6 miles. First turnaround, fast guy wasn't within 2:30 or so. Second turnaround, more than five minutes back, so at that point I figured something had happened to him on course. Coming past transition at the 5km point, his bike was not there. So, I could relax a bit and try not to cramp up or pull something. My long run of the year was 5.4 miles to that point.

At the final turnaround (the first 180 around a cone), my calf tweaked again. It wasn't quite a pull, but I had to be careful. Managed to complete my first 10km run of the year without too much damage, although my calf is really sore today. Won the AG by 6:37, and the final surprise was 2nd place: a guy who was a local stud back when I started in the 1980s, who swims with us in the morning, and who I had no idea had gotten back into triathlon after a long absence.

Final surprise was getting both chicked and geezered…by the same woman. Nancy Smith, age 58, beat me. Very impressive.

It turns out that fast guy had some kind of mechanical problem on the bike, so didn't finish that leg. Never got to meet him and say hello.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Jul 21, 14 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: Sometimes Race Day doesn't go how you expected it to [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well done on the championship !
sometimes a little luck helps..
the thing I've noticed with fast guys aging up into the 50-plus groups, is that age is happening to them too.. no-one is holding speed..

except maybe, Doug Clark 3rd OA at age 46..

locally I have Ellen Hart and Colleen De Reuck in AG, Colleen at 50 is faster than I ever was, any time I'm less than 3min behind Ellen is a good race..
at Boulder Peak Colleen won AG in 2:16 (equivalent to about 2:12 on a standard Olympic course), 2nd was 2:30..
Quote Reply
Re: Sometimes Race Day doesn't go how you expected it to [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the championship! I have to admit, your subject had me wondering about the outcome of your day until the end.

I did the same thing you did yesterday leaving my wetsuit in the car before heading down. I was sure it wasn't going to be wetsuit legal, but luckily the field parking is not far away from transition at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just like ya drew it up! Congrats!

Wow - chicked/geezered - she must dominate her AG.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope your calf is fine for Milwaukee...

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow that is some sort of swim split. In my dreams and going full on Finman I couldn't swim that fast.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Sometimes Race Day doesn't go how you expected it to [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
well done on the championship !
sometimes a little luck helps..
the thing I've noticed with fast guys aging up into the 50-plus groups, is that age is happening to them too.. no-one is holding speed..

except maybe, Doug Clark 3rd OA at age 46..

locally I have Ellen Hart and Colleen De Reuck in AG, Colleen at 50 is faster than I ever was, any time I'm less than 3min behind Ellen is a good race..
at Boulder Peak Colleen won AG in 2:16 (equivalent to about 2:12 on a standard Olympic course), 2nd was 2:30..

Yep, looked at the 55-59 results. We are all slower. Very very few are "fast" anyone, especially on the run. If you can run when older, boy
do you have an advantage, while it lasts.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Sometimes Race Day doesn't go how you expected it to [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like 56 year old James Hannon at Du Nationals this weekend? Yikes!!! Scary fast.

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman
Quote Reply
Re: Sometimes Race Day doesn't go how you expected it to [Lacticbath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticbath wrote:
Like 56 year old James Hannon at Du Nationals this weekend? Yikes!!! Scary fast.

Those are the folks I love to talk to and try to get any ideas on how they stay so fast as they age.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the race! Great report.
Quote Reply
Re: Sometimes Race Day doesn't go how you expected it to [dmorris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmorris wrote:
Congrats on the championship! I have to admit, your subject had me wondering about the outcome of your day until the end.

I did the same thing you did yesterday leaving my wetsuit in the car before heading down. I was sure it wasn't going to be wetsuit legal, but luckily the field parking is not far away from transition at all.

So, were you the fastest person to receive no first awards? What did you get? You were Elite, so no AG awards, you are from PA, so no NJ State awards, so nothing? Or did you get a Regional first place?

Outsanding bike split, by the way.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Sometimes Race Day doesn't go how you expected it to [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Just like ya drew it up! Congrats!

Wow - chicked/geezered - she must dominate her AG.

"I love it when a plan comes together".

As for Nancy: http://results.active.com/...me&direction=asc

Yeah, 20 minute gap is dominant.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I got nothing I'm pretty sure. I didn't stick around because I checked with Michele to make sure they were only doing top 3 for the overall. She confirmed that so I went to brunch with my family instead of staying for awards. My wife was actually really happy that I was happy with my race and that we could leave and wouldn't have to wait around 3+ hours for awards so it worked out pretty well in the end.
Quote Reply