Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Something odd about this graph
Quote | Reply
Am I reading this right, no variation in drag with the Giant with different yaw angles?
Or is this just a big misprint?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Something odd about this graph [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt that the drag doesnt change so maybe it is showing the "difference" between the Giant drag at different yaw angles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the drag relativity is relative within each individual yaw category. (The giant is 0'd for each yaw).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All bikes are being compared RELATIVE to the Giant. Not that the Giant is constant; but the chart shows the performance of the other bikes relative to the Giant.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, now I see that.

But an odd way to present data.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Ah, now I see that.

But an odd way to present data.

It's because their goal is not to compare all the tested bikes, just to show that the Giant is better.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just show the CDA at each yaw angle? That way it's not dependant on speed (typically 30mph)
Quote Reply
Re: Something odd about this graph [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
It's because their goal is not to compare all the tested bikes, just to show that the Giant is better.

Except it does effectively compare all tested bikes. I have no problem gauging the aeroness of any bike to any other with that graph.

Also, in my opinion, it doesn't really show that the Giant is "better." It shows it's good. But based just on this data I'd take a long, hard look at a SC or P5 for their superior low-yaw drag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or, not show how the Giant is worse at low yaw angles. If it was presented as absolute rather than relative drag it would be slightly more obvious how the SC and P6 are better at up to 5 degrees. Overall it's a little better than the competition at up to 20 degrees, but the straight line allows them to present yaw angles which are mostly irrelevant - which is where it has the most advantage.

It's still a very fast bike and I would have no problem riding one, but it isn't better.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Something odd about this graph [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
Or, not show how the Giant is worse at low yaw angles. If it was presented as absolute rather than relative drag it would be slightly more obvious how the SC and P6 are better at up to 5 degrees. Overall it's a little better than the competition at up to 20 degrees, but the straight line allows them to present yaw angles which are mostly irrelevant - which is where it has the most advantage.

It's still a very fast bike and I would have no problem riding one, but it isn't better.

Since it excels at higher yaw angles, they could market it as "A fast bike for slow riders." ;P

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was a shop salesman, I'd be talking to my customers about how "every time there's a crosswind, you're going to go faster".

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply