Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
the ROT that gives us those time savings is based on something like 24 or 25 mph average speed. Again, you go a lot faster...so, less gain for you!

30 mph, actually, since that is the standard for wind tunnel testing. However, I also rounded every number to a one or five*, so the effect may be the same (I haven't checked, but take your word for it).

*I did some calculations in my head while riding this weekend, and realized that, at least for me, the same approach also works for Crr. Specifically, at my speed/mass, a change in Crr of 0.0005 equates to a difference in power of ~5 W, and hence also a difference in CdA of ~0.005 m^2, a difference in drag of ~0.1 lbs, and/or a difference in time of ~0.5 s/km. Neat how that works out, huh? :-)

I was just going through some "what ifs"...and I think you might have miscalculated your ROT with respect to Crr.

According to Robert's presentation, a 1% change in Crr is ~equivalent to a 0.3% change in CdA. That would mean with a base Crr of .0040, a change of Crr of .0005 would be a 12.5% change. That would represent a (12.5 x 0.3% = 3.75%) 3.75% change in CdA. If your Cda is .200 -.250 m^2, that would be a change of ~.008-.010 m^2.

Shouldn't the ROT be more like .0005 Crr = .010 m^2 CdA? = 10W = 1 s/km?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Not according to me. :-)

Consider a bike+rider with total mass of 76 kg traveling at 12.5 m/s: if Crr = 0.0040, then the power required to overcome rolling resistance is 12.5 x 76 x 9.81 x 0.004, or 37.3 W. However, if Crr = 0.0035, it is 12.5 x 76 x 9.81 x 0.0035, or 32.6 W. IOW, a change in Crr of 0.0005 is equivalent to a 4.7 W reduction in power demand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
According to Robert's presentation, a 1% change in Crr is ~equivalent to a 0.3% change in CdA. That would mean with a base Crr of .0040, a change of Crr of .0005 would be a 12.5% change. That would represent a (12.5 x 0.3% = 3.75%) 3.75% change in CdA. If your Cda is .200 -.250 m^2, that would be a change of ~.008-.010 m^2.

I have to clarify that. That particular relationship depended on those data. In other tests I've done under different wind and slope conditions, I've gotten different relationships. Basically, Andy's ROT applies at the speeds we often see when TT'ing on flat ground. If you're riding at a different speed you're going to be on a different part of the curve.
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I have to clarify that. That particular relationship depended on those data. In other tests I've done under different wind and slope conditions, I've gotten different relationships. Basically, Andy's ROT applies at the speeds we often see when TT'ing on flat ground. If you're riding at a different speed you're going to be on a different part of the curve.

OK...and I understand. In fact, if I just quickly figured out the "power cost" for incremental changes in Crr or CdA for my own weight and speed, I get basically .0005 of Crr = 5W = .005 m^2 Cda.

However, if I go into one of my test runs and vary the assumed Crr by .0005, I need to "adjust" the CdA by ~.010 to re-level the plot.

I guess what I'm really interested in is if somebody assumes that their Crr is lower or higher by a certain amount, how will that affect the CdA determined using the VE "leveling" approach? ;-)

edit: Never mind...the test run I had to "adjust" by a higher amount was a run I did on my road bike when testing tire pressure changes. CdA is MUCH higher and speeds slower on that. Definitely on a "different part of the curve" for that. When I pulled up my P2K run from last week, your ROT of .0005 Crr ~= .005 CdA held. Sorry 'bout that....

Last edited by: Tom A.: May 30, 08 13:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
How so?

Hey, is English your native tongue? 'Cuz a sentence that ain't.

Fetchez la vache !

Fuckez le dog!

I thought it was kinda amusing that donm started talking smack then whined after he showed up for a knife fight carryin' a spoon.

Could be that donm decided to engage in a little banter to get a feel for the character of the folks in the room. Whether that was his intent or not, he succeeded. Anyway, congratulations and enjoy the big victory party in Lambda house. ;)

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I guess what I'm really interested in is if somebody assumes that their Crr is lower or higher by a certain amount, how will that affect the CdA determined using the VE "leveling" approach? ;-)

Depends on the course. Here's an example for a climb up a steep hill. The contours tell you the different combos of Crr and CdA that will produce exactly that net change in elevation over the run (in this case, I was pretty sure the true elevation change was between 113 and 115 m over about 2.5 km). The speed was quite slow and it turns out that the total elevation was quite sensitive to Crr but not much to CdA (as we'd expect since the speed was low).

I repeated the climb at a higher speed, and got a different slope between Crr and CdA. Given the true elevation change, it let me solve for a single (Crr, CdA) pair.

I did this because I couldn't find a lead bottle to do the delta mass thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Look, you are justifying your acceptance of this result because you have learned to trust Tom. Your trust does not make for a strong "study". submit this study to a publication and tell them it should be published because you have come to trust this guy and I suspect the laughter would be heard a long ways away. It might be true but there are lots of perfectly valid reasons others might question the result, especially when the entirety of the measured change is attributed to the frame. It is simply mind boggling to me that those of you who are so critical of the attempts of others to quantify changes are so accepting of this result and critical of others who are simply presenting reasons why the result should be questioned.

Oh, and the rule of thumb for "fever" isn't particularly good one. For instance, my normal is about 36. When I have a temperature of 37, I am usually pretty sick. What is normal for others is a "fever" for me.

Your argument was that n=1 and the experiment wasn't blinded. When you take your temperature, do you blindfold yourself and have eight others check every reading?
Perhaps we should compare the complexity of the two tasks and what the result is. In one instant it is a simple procedure taking a few seconds to a minute requiring no calculations and giving an answer that applies to one individual at one point in time. Sort or like looking down at the power meter and knowing what your power is now.

In the other instant. It required a complex set up to be conducted with great rigor and the result is being applied "across the board".

I don't think the situations are particularly similar.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Your argument was that n=1 and the experiment wasn't blinded. When you take your temperature, do you blindfold yourself and have eight others check every reading?
Perhaps we should compare the complexity of the two tasks and what the result is. In one instant it is a simple procedure taking a few seconds to a minute requiring no calculations and giving an answer that applies to one individual at one point in time. Sort or like looking down at the power meter and knowing what your power is now.

In the other instant. It required a complex set up to be conducted with great rigor and the result is being applied "across the board".

Wait a second. Here you're saying taking a temperature is a simple procedure, while in message #512 you wrote that it was complicated. Are you wrong now or were you wrong then?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Wait a second. Here you're saying taking a temperature is a simple procedure, while in message #512 you wrote that it was complicated. Are you wrong now or were you wrong then?
It is a "simple" procedure that has many ways errors can be made if one is not attentive to details.

What Tom did was a complex procedure. The chances for error are increased substantially, even if one is attentive to details.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are you wrong now or were you wrong then?

Hmmm. On second thought, continuing in the theme of simple answers to simple questions, I believe the correct answer is "both."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Depends on the course. Here's an example for a climb up a steep hill. The contours tell you the different combos of Crr and CdA that will produce exactly that net change in elevation over the run (in this case, I was pretty sure the true elevation change was between 113 and 115 m over about 2.5 km). The speed was quite slow and it turns out that the total elevation was quite sensitive to Crr but not much to CdA (as we'd expect since the speed was low).

I repeated the climb at a higher speed, and got a different slope between Crr and CdA. Given the true elevation change, it let me solve for a single (Crr, CdA) pair.

I did this because I couldn't find a lead bottle to do the delta mass thing.
Doesn't Crr vary some with the slope, since the normal force varies with the slope? I suspect such variations might be very small for the slopes we normally encounter but does this affect your calculations or what Crr might be on the flat? Not trying to be contrary here but to simply ask the question.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Doesn't Crr vary some with the slope, since the normal force varies with the slope? I suspect such variations might be very small for the slopes we normally encounter but does this affect your calculations or what Crr might be on the flat? Not trying to be contrary here but to simply ask the question.

Not until it's so steep you're slipping off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still lost in all of this discussion is something that would assuage some of the concerns about Tom's position- namely photos of him on the P3C and on the P2K. Remember, it was he who posited that his position was "exactly the same" for the different runs. Unless Tom measured himself while he was underway, that dog don't hunt.
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [racerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Still lost in all of this discussion is something that would assuage some of the concerns about Tom's position- namely photos of him on the P3C and on the P2K. Remember, it was he who posited that his position was "exactly the same" for the different runs. Unless Tom measured himself while he was underway, that dog don't hunt.

Does this mean you're offering to get up at 5:30 to come over and take pics the next time I go out testing? :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well, a long time ago on this thread (seems like a lifetime), I posted two photos of myself on two different frames in a very similar position. Anyone care to say whether they see any significant differences between the two that could account for the large CdA differences I measured between the two setups?

Rik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Unless Tom measured himself while he was underway, that dog don't hunt."

Hmmm....Taken to its logical conclusion, you're also saying people are wasting $1000s of dollars on wind tunnel sessions too.

Speaking of dogs that don't hunt....
Last edited by: TriBriGuy: May 31, 08 5:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Did a 20K TT today (Piru) on the borrowed P3C. Set a PR by 24 seconds in conditions near identical to my previous PR (temp, wind direction and strength) set last year. Did it on 8 less watts to the rear wheel as compared to last year. My tires have the same rolling resistance as last year.

Anybody want to guess how much I apparently reduced my CdA by to accomplish the above? The ROT should make that easy :-)

Damn...that was my last race on that P3C...I have to give it back now :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did a 20K TT today (Piru) on the borrowed P3C. Set a PR by 24 seconds in conditions near identical to my previous PR (temp, wind direction and strength) set last year. Did it on 8 less watts to the rear wheel as compared to last year. My tires have the same rolling resistance as last year.

Anybody want to guess how much I apparently reduced my CdA by to accomplish the above? The ROT should make that easy :-)

How do we know you didn't move your head?

I was at a friend's barbecue this afternoon and some guy I'd never met before was talking to some other guy I'd never met before. I overheard him say the words, "time trial." He was talking about last weekend's SCNCA TT. He said his time was slower than last year and was pretty startled when I started describing the course, conditions, and that last year's times were 30 seconds off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I was at a friend's barbecue this afternoon and some guy I'd never met before was talking to some other guy I'd never met before. I overheard him say the words, "time trial." He was talking about last weekend's SCNCA TT. He said his time was slower than last year and was pretty startled when I started describing the course, conditions, and that last year's times were 30 seconds off.
:-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Oh yeah...there should be pics up in the next few days. We can compare them to the 20K TT I did on the P2K 2 months ago ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Oh yeah...there should be pics up in the next few days. We can compare them to the 20K TT I did on the P2K 2 months ago ;-)

How do we know the wind and conditions were the same?

You try that 2007/2008 Lake Los Angeles comparison yet? You could do the same thing with these two Piru TTs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

How do we know the wind and conditions were the same?

You try that 2007/2008 Lake Los Angeles comparison yet? You could do the same thing with these two Piru TTs.

Well...you could either trust my memory ;-)...or we could look at the records of some of the personal weather station recordings nearby. I already did that. Unfortunately, the one closest to the course start (and IMO the most representative of the "on course" conditions) doesn't go back that far. However, the next closest does imply VERY similar conditions over the 2 dates. The weather at this time of year in that area is pretty much controlled by a "sea breeze" condition that sets up in the morning and starts the winds building out of the W/SW starting at 9 am...about when the racers start off. That's how it was last July when I set my previous PR, and that's how it was yesterday.

I haven't done the year over year comparison yet...too busy to dig into that. In fact, when I got home yesterday I spent the afternoon "skim coating" the walls in a room I'm getting ready to paint. The wall surface needs to be repaired because the room used to be wallpapered...I HATE wallpaper :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...these numbers match up pretty well with what Andy has posted before

Apologies to all for dredging up an old thread, but this past weekend I finally got the chance to do some field tests using my wife's P3C, and thought I'd share the results.

To wit: compared to her old P2T, my CdA came out precisely 0.010 m^2 lower on the P3C, despite the fact that the UCI-legal position I now use is a few centimeters shorter, and hence a shade higher, than my position on the P2T. Not all of this difference can be definitively ascribed to the frameset, as there were other unavoidable differences as well (i.e., Zipp 808/bulged disk vs. Zipp 404/flat disk and LG Rocket vs. Troxel Radius II aero helmet). Nonetheless, these data would appear to add additional support to the conclusion that there is a significant difference between the frames (to the order of ~1 s/km in still air).
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
...these numbers match up pretty well with what Andy has posted before

Apologies to all for dredging up an old thread, but this past weekend I finally got the chance to do some field tests using my wife's P3C, and thought I'd share the results.

To wit: compared to her old P2T, my CdA came out precisely 0.010 m^2 lower on the P3C, despite the fact that the UCI-legal position I now use is a few centimeters shorter, and hence a shade higher, than my position on the P2T. Not all of this difference can be definitively ascribed to the frameset, as there were other unavoidable differences as well (i.e., Zipp 808/bulged disk vs. Zipp 404/flat disk and LG Rocket vs. Troxel Radius II aero helmet). Nonetheless, these data would appear to add additional support to the conclusion that there is a significant difference between the frames (to the order of ~1 s/km in still air).

At near zero yaw, correct? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
At near zero yaw, correct? ;-)

Well since you bring it up... ;-)

As I mentioned, the field tests results imply an advantage of ~1 s/km in still air, i.e., at/near 0 deg of yaw. OTOH, based on the non-calm TTs I've done on both bikes, the difference seems to be about twice that.

Another way of putting things in context: in breezy/windy TTs, my CdA on the P3C appears to be comparable to what it was on the Hooker, even though the former has a VT clip-on/basebar system and the latter had their proprietary "aero-or-die" handlebars. That's consistent with the bare-bike wind tunnel data that I/we collected. Now if only I could get my functional threshold power back up to where it was a few years ago...
Quote Reply

Prev Next