Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Something Better Than Nothing
Quote | Reply
I was just thinking of some of the challenges that we have as age groupers fitting training in. By end of Oct, it is easy to just "give up" and take a break. My personal observation is that we all need a break, but at the same time a lot of negative progress can happen between Nov 1 to Jan 1 that people have to spend the next 4 months undoing.

What we often need a break from is not so much the physical load of training, but the mental load of moving life out of the way too get to the start line of today's workout/s and repeating that for weeks or months on end.

I've seen a lot of "maintenance" value coming from low time overhead workouts. 10-15 min runs are better than nothing. Leaving the bike set up on the trainer and hopping on it even for 20 minutes can be done quite easily in the context of life and that's enough to get 10 min of intensity in. The 10 min run is great because depending on where you live you don't need a shower.

But quite often guys say, 'I only have 20 min, why bother?". But 7x15 of jogging can add up to almost 2 additional hours of running per week. A Kenyan covers a marathon in that time...you and I mau get an additional half marathon of "hardening" the legs for when we need to get back in the swing of things.

But I think the biggest value is that it gets us to the start line. Sometimes I start than 10 min jog...it takes me 5 min to get going and I say, 'do I really need to work on xyz next or can I make this run 25 min and add in a couple of hard mile repeats. Suddenly it turns into a "real workout".

My main point posting this is getting out the door. We all get 168 hours per week...surely skimming off 2 hour out of that has more up side than downside.
Quote Reply
Re: Something Better Than Nothing [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev. After wrapping up with Augusta 70.3 and 3 weekends of road racing a 5k, 10k and half, I have shut it down. Plus with my son getting his annual October respiratory infection, I have slept in most mornings. My wife even tried to push me out the door for a 30 minute run before work, but I refused. Your message has got me inspired to just do some short stuff and get back at it. While I certainly watch my food intake over the next 4 months, these mini workouts will be part of my diet for sure. Be well and thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my main focus this year. In the past I usually start shutting it down mid-October thru the holidays.
Quote Reply
Re: Something Better Than Nothing [coyote39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coyote39 wrote:
This is my main focus this year. In the past I usually start shutting it down mid-October thru the holidays.

I know this is a common sentiment. I think it's better to go from active volcano mode to just simmering a bit vs. dormant. Especially when to comes to running, even running 10-15 min each session 4x per week keeps some basic run legs for when you really start up. On top of this you can reserve any serious exercise to to swim and bike workouts that generally have more overhead. Keeping the run to this type of maintenance allows to keep some run legs with very little time commitment too. By the way, even in season, I get an extra hour of run volume through various short transitions runs or run commutes to the the pool etc...it all adds up over time, but more so in the "off season" when others are gaining 10-20 lbs...you may only gain 5 but most importantly, just getting out the door.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of your best posts ever Dev!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post Dev. I agree 100%. This is great advice not only for the off season but all year round. People get so hung up on certain workouts and if life throws them a curve they scrap the whole thing instead of just doing something. Flexibility!

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Something Better Than Nothing [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
Great post Dev. I agree 100%. This is great advice not only for the off season but all year round. People get so hung up on certain workouts and if life throws them a curve they scrap the whole thing instead of just doing something. Flexibility!

I keep an extra running kit in my car, in my office, in my travel carry on suitcase, and of course at home. Also an extra swim kit in all locations too, so if the window of opportunity can be created, there are no excuses. Over a year it adds up to a ton of extra fitness. This is like the wealthy barber approach to acquiring fitness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boom!

Late Oct - Dec was/is, time to really ramp things up for the cross-country ski season!

Off season??

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use it or lose it......

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Something Better Than Nothing [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is great advice not only for the off season but all year round. People get so hung up on certain workouts and if life throws them a curve they scrap the whole thing instead of just doing something.

Yes.

Not sure if this is fair, but I blame a lot of coaches for making this whole thing WAY more complicated than it is. Most people will get within 5% of their ultimate best performance by just putting in a moderate amount of time at a moderate amount of intensity over time! It's not that complicated.

Just look up the threads/stories, of the folks who really commit to commuting by bike every day. Then after doing nothing else, there bike fitness has taken a massive jump up!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Oct 30, 14 10:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said Dev. I took a couple weeks off this month and only did some light, unstructured training. Now I'm following a post season plan to be prepared for next year. My goal is to keep the impact on my life very low. I won't miss any time with my family or stress on workout duration. Hopefully this puts me in a great mental and physical place for next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thoughts! Mix it up, maybe experiment a little, and make it fun!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post. Even beyond the training value and impact on racing, staying active in an unstructured manner is just part of living a healthy lifestyle.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fully agree with this approach and very often go for 30 minute runs and 1 hour bikes because it is better than nothing and it adds up.

With that said I did however just take a week fully off after my last race, which I was no longer fully mentally prepared for. Starting back up tonight with a core/plyometric/running interval session with my triathlon club.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using this "off-season" with an enforced no-workout plan to let a bulging disk in my neck heal. And, with any luck, I'll eat my way into the clydesdale division in no time. It is sooo easy to train myself up to that category; I wish all training went this well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent suggestion. I will keep that in mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post!

I actually just ordered a replacement treadmill belt for this very reason. Been getting up early with a little time to kill before swims, figure knock out 20-30 minutes on the thread mill before heading to the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say there definitely are benefits! If you're going to take time to back off the mileage and intensity, doing something is always better than nothing! That way you only lose fitness and still keep things like muscle memory. Keeping those muscles firing will allow you to not need to relearn movements when you do get back to real training. All you have to do is build fitness back! I do the same thing in the late fall to early winter. I SBR enough to not forget how to SBR.

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Re: Something Better Than Nothing [HiImRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too am in "shut down mode" however this week I've gotten in 3 runs right after work, with the kids on their bikes, wife running along, pushing a double stroller. It was only about 4 miles each, and very slow (slower than usual) but it was definitely not nothing and the family loved it. I'm pretty much a very early morning workout guy during training, so these times have been great. I only wish the time change wasn't approaching, as that will shut this down. But good post nonetheless. I'll have to look for other ideas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the day, Paula Newby-Fraser said that she put her bike in the garage after IM in Oct and didn't get it out again until Jan.

I think the best plan is to do something different during the off season to keep mentally fresh - like cross-country skiing, or mountain biking, or anything else that you're interested it. As long as you're not sitting on the couch for 3 months, you'll get back up to speed on swim/bike/run before April.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is just the thread I needed. I'm recovering from a knee injury and the depression of deferring my NYC Marathon entry. My doc says spinning and swimming are fine but finding the motivation is tough. Doing 30 minutes on the bike feels like cheating but you're right, keeping up some fitness through the weather change and reading your friends marathon updates isn't a big deal but will be of a huge benefit when I'm ready for a full load again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What we often need a break from is not so much the physical load of training, but the mental load of moving life out of the way too get to the start line of today's workout/s and repeating that for weeks or months on end.

I agree with ^

I've seen a lot of "maintenance" value coming from low time overhead workouts. 10-15 min runs are better than nothing. Leaving the bike set up on the trainer and hopping on it even for 20 minutes can be done quite easily in the context of life and that's enough to get 10 min of intensity in. The 10 min run is great because depending on where you live you don't need a shower.

But the second statement is arguably inconsistent with the needed mental break and I (somewhat) disagree with it. The 10 minute run isn't physically taxing at all. But, I think it can be mentally taxing--not because it is a hard workout but simply because instead of doing _______, you are still training and not giving yourself the mental break that you may need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said. It's always better to stay in some sort of "shape" as opposed to trying to get back into shape. Much easier process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post. Justin Daerr gave some insight about his off season on Endurance Corner. It sounds like his overall health bennifits from less activity- for instance he isn't experiencing repeated upper respiratory infections that hamper his season. And doing a little of something allows him to ramp it up when it counts.
Last edited by: soulfresca: Oct 30, 14 11:16
Quote Reply
Re: Something Better Than Nothing [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

I agree with ^

But the second statement is arguably inconsistent with the needed mental break and I (somewhat) disagree with it. The 10 minute run isn't physically taxing at all. But, I think it can be mentally taxing--not because it is a hard workout but simply because instead of doing _______, you are still training and not giving yourself the mental break that you may need.

For some, the "mental break" isn't needed. But physiologically it may be, and doing nothing is for many athletes worse than maintaining some training as some actually *enjoy* training and the real challenge is forcing them to throttle back.

A mark of distinction between athletes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next