Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Some quick thoughts on Motivation, Coaching & Athlete Self-Regulation
Quote | Reply
From an email conversation with a friend who's a CTS cycling coach:

From April: With the triathlon coaches I've had, I've never felt that confident in their coaching because it doesn't seem like they're paying that close of attention - I'm not wanting (much) more time on their part, but just a closer eye.

I think that is more a psychological issue, specifically with motivation, and not particular to me. It comes back to this idea that people in general function "optimally" in terms of focus, productivity, creativity, etc. when they know they have a secure base to fall back on. The analogy used is a soldier feeling confident going out far on their own due to the knowledge that they can retreat back to their base when needed. It's referred to as the dependency paradox - a person's appearance of independence is actually statistically-dependent upon their dependency-needs being accepted by a secure base. In motivation terms, when an athlete hands over and gives up their autonomy, they are also relinquishing the vital part of optimal functioning/intrinsic motivation that autonomy possesses. The motivation then becomes extrinsic, but with the right relationship, the person can identify with the task and reach internalized-motivation, and with an even better relationship, the person can completely internalize the motivation and approach intrinsic motivation.

There are several ways a coach can accomplish that, and I'm sure you understand those methods better than me, and I'm interested in hearing your take. A pretty simple approach is a coach using something like TrainingPeaks and adjusting the future training loads based on current training performance so that the athlete can see that the coach is paying close attention and has their back. To date, I've tried working with coaches, and they aren't doing that and while I trust their knowledge, I don't feel the cookie-cutter workouts provided are actually tapping that knowledge - not compared to if I were there in person training under them. So, I planned out my own future TSS while updating with current TSS to plot CTL, providing that confidence and in the mean time, taking back the autonomy needed for intrinsic motivation..

From Today: Building on that Coach-Athlete framework in my last email, what's a very interesting concept that I'm building into a theory paper I'm working on is the co-constructed regulation between, for the purpose of our conversation, the Coach-Athlete (though I'm looking at the workplace Leader-Follower interpersonal dyadic relationship in my paper). So first, you have the point that self-regulation, emotion regulation and physiological regulation, really aren't separate and once you dive in, they're inseparable. So, that being said, when you have an athlete's training and racing depending so heavily on their ability to regulate physiological limits that are being approached, exceeded, avoided, and that training and racing depending on regulating emotions - working through/re-appraising negative thoughts; what is very interesting is the research that shows that self-regulation does not exist independent of the coach, but the athlete's self-regulation is co-constructed with the coach (integrated regulation). The coach is most often existing in the form of a schema (as are our memories of parental and guiding figures), but the coach is still very much present via that schema that is developed based on the athlete's perception of the coach's availability, encouragement and non-interference.

The coach's feedback (verbal, written, non-verbal) provides feedback to the athlete and that feedback shifts the athlete's regulation on a continuum from being too integrated, a phase needed when the athlete needs assurance and needs their ego 'repaired' (in attachment theory, called safe haven support), and then shifts to very near solely self-regulated where the athlete is extremely autonomous and highly functioning, but is at greater risk for experiencing distress or setback - this is a phase where the athlete's schema of the coach provides what, in attachment theory, is called secure base support (see previous email). Some will say that optimal is the middle of this continuum, but I'm arguing that the ebb and flow from one extreme to the other represents real-life [leader-follower] coach-athlete engagement, while extended periods of time at the extremes of the continuum represents preoccupation-related issues (anxiety, depression, insecure-attachment related behaviors). Because we as humans develop within and not outside of a framework as described by attachment theory, it is impossible for an individual to be 100% autonomously self-regulating - no matter how ruggedly individualistic that person is (or how much Ayn Rand they've read), their cognitive and emotional development was influenced by support or lack of support and the schema(s) of attachment figures are life-long, so self-regulation is always happening somewhere along a continuum of co-constructed regulation, even if that regulation is primarily happening via past-event produced schemas.

Some interesting tidbits: non-verbally, when a person tilts their head to the side or self-soothes through touching of their limbs, they allow themselves to exist at both ends of the continuum nearly simultaneously, but this is not optimal and they are not fully engaged in the current task, whether it be an athletic activity, or interacting with another person. Think of athletes, or yourself, tilting your head to the side during a hard effort: this has been show to be an emotional 'escape' from the duties related to regulation. I've been playing with this and forcing myself to keep my head straight, posture good and to remain fully engaged and avoid "escaping", keeping regulation a the forefront of my responsibilities as a form of preparation for race-day.

final thought: I'd say that a good coach knows consciously or intuitively how to keep this ebb and flow of co-constructed regulation optimally timed and tended to and how to keep the athlete highly engaged and not trying to 'escape' the regulation duties. Thoughts?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Jul 18, 17 20:19
Quote Reply
Re: Some quick thoughts on Motivation, Coaching & Athlete Self-Regulation [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way i look at it, any idiot can give premiere level coaching schedules but only a good coach can make the athlete want to participate in that kind of training. My high school track coach was certainly not even close to the level of knowledge or experience as my college coach but in reality, the only reason I am able to push myself to train at this level is because of my high school coach. I seemed to have lost that coach/athlete relationship in my current program and after only a year I am struggling to continue the sport. I still constantly have contact with my high school coach when I need an extra push to keep going.
Quote Reply
Re: Some quick thoughts on Motivation, Coaching & Athlete Self-Regulation [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps a bit tangential but are not the best athletes virtually always very, very highly motivated, to the point that they would train themselves into the ground if their coach did not restrain them. I would *think* that anyone serious enough to pay good money for a coach would be pretty highly motivated, in which case the coach's main job would be to keep the athlete from training too hard.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Some quick thoughts on Motivation, Coaching & Athlete Self-Regulation [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Perhaps a bit tangential but are not the best athletes virtually always very, very highly motivated, to the point that they would train themselves into the ground if their coach did not restrain them.

I wouldn't say "virtually always." Some great athletes approach laziness. Others lack consistency and focus. Unfair as it is, flat out genetic talent often wins out over "being really motivated and smart."

Part of being a good coach is recognizing what makes a person tick, and then bringing the right toolbox to the job. For some athletes you need to go Bob Knight on their ass - aggressively push them and kick the crutches out from underneath them until they "get it." Other times you need to be the moderating, calming influence.

A mistake a lot of newbie coaches seem to make is being the coach that they themselves would like to have. Vs. the coach the person they're coaching actually needs.

But you're probably right that motivation and work, generally scale with athletic success in general.
Quote Reply
Re: Some quick thoughts on Motivation, Coaching & Athlete Self-Regulation [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Perhaps a bit tangential but are not the best athletes virtually always very, very highly motivated, to the point that they would train themselves into the ground if their coach did not restrain them. I would *think* that anyone serious enough to pay good money for a coach would be pretty highly motivated, in which case the coach's main job would be to keep the athlete from training too hard.

There are always times when an athlete has some self doubt, that is when falling back on the coach is important.
I think that the original poster has expressed this quite well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
]

Thoughts?

That's a metric-ton of jargon that I'm not totally familiar with. So I don't know.

One thought I've had about my coaches is that I think the good ones aren't afraid to hurt my feelings. My 4-5 coaches I didn't pay. High school and collegiate track and X-C, and collegiate rowing. These I consider to be the best coaches I ever had, even though some of them were the least trained in physiology or this psychological stuff. In lay terminology I chalk what I feel were their best traits in two areas: 1) They called me (and others) out, on important stuff. If I didn't do an interval well (or even if I did and the coach just wanted to push my buttons), I'd get some harsh feedback. With some swear words. And rare praise (which made praise actually mean something). And 2), I felt they genuinely gave a shit about my performance. Their ego was nearly as tied to my own performance as my own ego. I often went to the line with a very, very strong motivation in not wanting to let my coach down.

In the 4-5 paid coaches I've had both of those things, I feel, are absent or nearly absent. I never get called out strongly. I just get constant bland praise when I consistently fill out all my TrainingPeaks plans. And I never really felt the coaches were really invested in my performance. They might get to use my result on Facebook or something to promote their service, but beyond that I don't think my result affected their day much at all beyond a business-like capacity. I miss the college days when I knew my coach was pacing and sweating as much I was as I toed the line in track or took hold of my oar in rowing. My last paid coach involved an A-race time trial. And he did a decent job setting up a training plan, etc. But I did the time trial, and I was sort of hoping the dude would text me asking for the results. But he didn't. He waited 5 days until our assigned "weekly email update day" to ask about the race. I realize I'm not paying for a friend, or for emotional support. But I miss having a coach who's as invested in a result as I am. But I guess emotional investment costs more than $250/month or whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: Some quick thoughts on Motivation, Coaching & Athlete Self-Regulation [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points - having coached HS running and been so emotionally invested, And also having had HS swim coaches who were incredibly invested in me and my teammates, I agree with the disconnect between that type of coaching and today's world of online coaching.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've known my coach for 15 years (since I was 16). One of the many reasons why it works between us is that he's extremely invested in my training/racing. But I think the reason he's so invested is because we have known each other for so long. I think he gets more excited about me racing than I do.

I think too many athletes are afraid to speak up to their coaches and give them feedback. Coaches can't read your mind, especially online. People need to give feedback and/or ask questions, etc. Now if the coach is not responsive to that, then it's time to look somewhere else.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Some quick thoughts on Motivation, Coaching & Athlete Self-Regulation [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
]

Thoughts?

That's a metric-ton of jargon that I'm not totally familiar with. So I don't know.

One thought I've had about my coaches is that I think the good ones aren't afraid to hurt my feelings. My 4-5 coaches I didn't pay. High school and collegiate track and X-C, and collegiate rowing. These I consider to be the best coaches I ever had, even though some of them were the least trained in physiology or this psychological stuff. In lay terminology I chalk what I feel were their best traits in two areas: 1) They called me (and others) out, on important stuff. If I didn't do an interval well (or even if I did and the coach just wanted to push my buttons), I'd get some harsh feedback. With some swear words. And rare praise (which made praise actually mean something). And 2), I felt they genuinely gave a shit about my performance. Their ego was nearly as tied to my own performance as my own ego. I often went to the line with a very, very strong motivation in not wanting to let my coach down.

In the 4-5 paid coaches I've had both of those things, I feel, are absent or nearly absent. I never get called out strongly. I just get constant bland praise when I consistently fill out all my TrainingPeaks plans. And I never really felt the coaches were really invested in my performance. They might get to use my result on Facebook or something to promote their service, but beyond that I don't think my result affected their day much at all beyond a business-like capacity. I miss the college days when I knew my coach was pacing and sweating as much I was as I toed the line in track or took hold of my oar in rowing. My last paid coach involved an A-race time trial. And he did a decent job setting up a training plan, etc. But I did the time trial, and I was sort of hoping the dude would text me asking for the results. But he didn't. He waited 5 days until our assigned "weekly email update day" to ask about the race. I realize I'm not paying for a friend, or for emotional support. But I miss having a coach who's as invested in a result as I am. But I guess emotional investment costs more than $250/month or whatever.

That totally did suck, wouldn't have taken more than 10 min out of his so very busy day to exchange a few texts with you to see how the race went. What a total dumb-ass; I hope you've dumped him???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
What a total dumb-ass; I hope you've dumped him???

Yeah, he's gone, mostly for other reasons. Too bad because he had bright spots, like truly understanding physiology and all the features of WKO, spotting weak points in power duration curves that I missed, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I had a coach that sent me e-mails with that sort of pseudo-intellectual gibberish instead of instructions and motivation in plain English, I would promptly fire him/her.
Quote Reply
Re: Some quick thoughts on Motivation, Coaching & Athlete Self-Regulation [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
If I had a coach that sent me e-mails with that sort of pseudo-intellectual gibberish instead of instructions and motivation in plain English, I would promptly fire him/her.

Just as you should. And if you hired a website developer and they merely sent you a file full of javascript code, you should probably fire them too.... but at some point, some critical thought and work has to happen behind the scenes. And for coaching, either the coach has it intuitively and/or they want to better their coaching by better understanding how to motivate their athletes. And that behind the scenes work may be over your head.

something being outside of your realm of knowledge doesn't make it pseudo-intellectual gibberish. My OP is complete intellectual gibberish, thank you.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Jul 20, 17 11:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Just as you should. And if you hired a website developer and they merely sent you a file full of javascript code, you should probably fire them too.... but at some point, some critical thought and work has to happen behind the scenes. And for coaching, either the coach has it intuitively and/or they want to better their coaching by better understanding how to motivate their athletes. And that behind the scenes work may be over your head.

something being outside of your realm of knowledge doesn't make it pseudo-intellectual gibberish. My OP is complete intellectual gibberish, thank you.

Yeah, I'll humbly accept a portion of that wet noodle lashing, but the portion of the discussion from "TODAY" looks and sounds like the kind of stuff you see parodied on academic papers (aka: "The Conceptual Penis as a Social Construct"). All it lacks are adequate citations, one of the most important differentiators after grants and peer-reviewed publications. Teaching doesn't matter a whit, and apparently neither does coherent communication. I will now retreat back into my shell devoid of knowledge.
Quote Reply
Re: Some quick thoughts on Motivation, Coaching & Athlete Self-Regulation [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, now you have me interested in this penis as social construct paper.

And you're right, the audience is really important for teaching. The TODAY section was definitely aimed at a grad student - the coach friend went to Columbia and has a doctorate (in equine vet, but close enough to psychology, right?). Getting the information across is important, and if that means making things more understandable, like the programmer who presents the website without discussing code (god, I hate when my programmer starts talking Node and javascript to me, just because I use R doesn't mean I want to talk code!). So I can definitely understand that.

I think to put it more clearly: When a coach looks at an athlete and assesses how mentally tough the athlete is, how resilient the athlete is from setback, and how engaged the athlete is with training on a day to day basis, and how the athlete handles racing emotionally (anxiety, depression, excitement, level-headed?), what I was writing about was that those athlete characteristics are not completely housed within the athlete. The interactions the coach has with the athlete foster or deter those athlete characteristics.

Heck, maybe in my effort to be clear, I'm slipping back into using "clear" words like foster and deter... it's tough! But, I think it also elucidates (kidding, but not kidding) the struggle academics have with trying to use wording that is concise and not easily misunderstood. I think we here on ST have accepted jargon when it comes to aerodynamics and, somewhat, when discussing exercise physiology. That acceptance most likely resulted because that "jargon" being more transferable from conversation to conversation, whereas layman terms have a lot of room for misinterpretation.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Jul 20, 17 12:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Yeah, I'll humbly accept a portion of that wet noodle lashing, but the portion of the discussion from "TODAY" looks and sounds like the kind of stuff you see parodied on academic papers (aka: "The Conceptual Penis as a Social Construct"). All it lacks are adequate citations, one of the most important differentiators after grants and peer-reviewed publications. Teaching doesn't matter a whit, and apparently neither does coherent communication. I will now retreat back into my shell devoid of knowledge.

Hilarious, you almost made me spit up my milk shake!!! I hereby nominate this post for "Post of the Year"!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
This is my primary reason for hiring a coach... injury prevention through quality training, introduction of more rest and as it turns out I'm actually performing better.

I suppose there are no hard fast rules... someone could hire a coach because they have the means to do so and are looking for expertise on how to train.
Quote Reply