Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Some cancers
Quote | Reply
Like a lot of the world, I'm a cancer survivor. Another way of saying I'm someone who has held off cancer to some degree so far through a variety of treatments.

What I Know Now That I Did Not Know Before: my future is questionable and my past belongs to someone else. I was a fairly dedicated and accomplished off and on road triguy, not an automatic podium in every race, large or small, but definitely a threat.

That was then. Now, trying to hang onto the Tri Life means dealing with fatigue and weakness that makes even the most mundane workout a complete sufferfest. Haven't had cancer and treatment but sure you are different, tougher than the rest? Trust me, dude/dudette, when your blood streams molecules of pain where it used to stream endorphins as you struggle to not post an all time worst on a workout you've done hundreds of times, you will learn that things have changed, no matter how hard you think your character and will are.

And despite that, I fight to get back bc I am one of the tribe. I do love the life, the wonderful moments, places, most of all the deep loving friendships triathlon has brought me.

I'm not anywhere the racer I used to be. But I may be a better man.

--
Life is too short not to take side roads.
Last edited by: ac90002: May 31, 17 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: Cancer [ac90002] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting perspective....

Care to share any more details??
Quote Reply
Re: Cancer [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would you like to know? Type of cancer and treatment maybe? There are over 200 forms of cancer, which may mean there are over 200 different diseases sharing the same name.

I had prostate cancer and chose Calypso 3D radiation treatments along with hormone therapy, after studying alternatives for some time. My last PSA result was Undetectable. #FUCancer.

But it was not without cost and I don't mean financially, tho that is a factor. Physically, the changes are as major as I have ever experienced

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never really understood that cancer of various chick parts kills chicks at such an incredible rate. My wife, younger than me, is 50. She's lost a sister already to breast cancer, and not 6 months goes by w/o another friend of hers coming down with the same. One came down with it 2 months ago. Another one 2wks ago. Holy shit.

I've never been much on being buddies with girls. I was an engineering student in college--no girls. Than I joined the Infantry. No girls. The sole exception was a girl that was on the triathlon team with me at our university in the 80's. She was awesome. Big amazon chick, fabulously fit, and as much full of fun and life as a person could ever be. With a huge infectious smile, she was just great to be around. After not having talked to her in 20yrs, but figuring she was still around Lake Tahoe, CA, I tracked her down a couple months ago. And found her obit. She died of breast cancer a couple years ago. Really bummed me out. She was so awesome.

Cancer sucks. Especially for chicks. Science needs to beat that shit.

Kathy Breidenbach.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: May 30, 17 17:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ac90002 wrote:
Like a lot of the world, I'm a cancer survivor. Another way of saying I'm someone who has held off cancer to some degree so far through a variety of treatments.

What I Know Now That I Did Not Know Before: my future is questionable and my past belongs to someone else. I was a fairly dedicated and accomplished off and on road triguy, not an automatic podium in every race, large or small, but definitely a threat.

That was then. Now, trying to hang onto the Tri Life means dealing with fatigue and weakness that makes even the most mundane workout a complete sufferfest. Haven't had cancer and treatment but sure you are different, tougher than the rest? Trust me, dude/dudette, when your blood streams molecules of pain where it used to stream endorphins as you struggle to not post an all time worst on a workout you've done hundreds of times, you will learn that things have changed, no matter how hard you think your character and will are.

And despite that, I fight to get back bc I am one of the tribe. I do love the life, the wonderful moments, places, most of all the deep loving friendships triathlon has brought me.

Jeebus! Get over yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ac90002 wrote:
What would you like to know? Type of cancer and treatment maybe? There are over 200 forms of cancer, which may mean there are over 200 different diseases sharing the same name.

I had prostate cancer and chose Calypso 3D radiation treatments along with hormone therapy, after studying alternatives for some time. My last PSA result was Undetectable. #FUCancer.

But it was not without cost and I don't mean financially, tho that is a factor. Physically, the changes are as major as I have ever experienced

Yup... I'm a neurosurgeon... so pretty aware of the cancer thing. Prostate cancer requiring radiation with no metastases is as good as it gets cancer wise. I assume you had an elevated PSA, had a biopsy, and then had RT. I'm really happy that you are doing well.

As you know... prostate cancer is almost predictable as men age, there are many other cancer diagnoses that are FAR WORSE.

Please don't come on here and compare yourself to others with a worse or terminal diagnosis... yes cancer sucks... but you are one of the lucky ones.

BTW... I am BRCA2 +.... and already underwent a prophylactic mastectomy as a MALE... so not unaware of the familiarity of the diagnosis.
Last edited by: Donzo98: May 30, 17 18:29
Quote Reply
Re: Cancer [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for your comments, Donzo. Wasn't intending to compare myself to anyone, with or without any of the many many different forms of cancer. Just making a statement of my experience for what it's worth. If that's not welcome here, oh well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to read about your cancer. I got diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2014, went on the active surveillance program, read a whole lot, got different opinions, talked to people who had both radiation and surgery, and then decided to go with the radical prostatecomy six months ago. I never did say I was cancer free after the surgery even though my PSA was near nothing. I think I had one of those feelings and ended up going to a dermatologist back in April where he discovered a malignant melanoma growing on my calf which I got promptly removed. I feel like I'm just now getting out of my depression over dealing with both of these cancers in the last six months and training like a MOFO right now because I hear footsteps behind me. FUCK CANCER!
Quote Reply
Re: Cancer [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch, you're way off base on this.
Quote Reply
Re: A cancer [ac90002] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but well done on your recovery. Cancer changes people in ways that are hard to describe. Everyone on the planet is terminal but few people really believe it, cancer sufferers do.

I want to big up my fiance, she was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer in October last year at the age of 40. Three days ago she ran her first marathon in Edinburgh, finishing in 4.26. She's amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: A cancer [Dan The Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan The Man wrote:
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but well done on your recovery. Cancer changes people in ways that are hard to describe. Everyone on the planet is terminal but few people really believe it, cancer sufferers do.

I want to big up my fiance, she was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer in October last year at the age of 40. Three days ago she ran her first marathon in Edinburgh, finishing in 4.26. She's amazing.

Wow!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch, you're a dick most of the time, but this is an all-time low.
Last edited by: awenborn: May 31, 17 6:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ac90002 wrote:
thanks for your comments, Donzo. Wasn't intending to compare myself to anyone, with or without any of the many many different forms of cancer. Just making a statement of my experience for what it's worth. If that's not welcome here, oh well.

Of course it's welcome... and glad you are back in the game. Continue to feel better...
Quote Reply
Re: Cancer [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
I never really understood that cancer of various chick parts kills chicks at such an incredible rate. My wife, younger than me, is 50. She's lost a sister already to breast cancer, and not 6 months goes by w/o another friend of hers coming down with the same. One came down with it 2 months ago. Another one 2wks ago. Holy shit.

I've never been much on being buddies with girls. I was an engineering student in college--no girls. Than I joined the Infantry. No girls. The sole exception was a girl that was on the triathlon team with me at our university in the 80's. She was awesome. Big amazon chick, fabulously fit, and as much full of fun and life as a person could ever be. With a huge infectious smile, she was just great to be around. After not having talked to her in 20yrs, but figuring she was still around Lake Tahoe, CA, I tracked her down a couple months ago. And found her obit. She died of breast cancer a couple years ago. Really bummed me out. She was so awesome.

Cancer sucks. Especially for chicks. Science needs to beat that shit.

Kathy Breidenbach.

https://www.cancer.gov/...rstanding/statistics
"Cancer mortality is higher among men than women (207.9 per 100,000 men and 145.4 per 100,000 women)."

Science is beating cancer slowly and the prognosis for a person with most forms of cancer is far better now than ever before. I think immunotherapy will really increase cancer survival times in the future, but we will all still die of something, somehow.
Quote Reply
Re: A cancer [ac90002] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We lost a colleague of mine to ovarian cancer at 53 years of age two years ago. She was a family doctor with whom I had shared hospital call for 20+ years. Around the same time my dad died of lymphoma. And my wife lost a patient who was a dear friend who was in her early 40s to breast cancer. All of this contributed to the first time of depression I have ever had. I get what you say about being a better person. You probably have more empathy for the stuff other people are going through. When things are going well its easy to forget that a lot of people are going through tough stuff. Stay well.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: A cancer [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, Len, and very sorry for all the losses you've gone through. There are no words that can make any such loss better. I do think you are right that I have gained much greater understanding and empathy for anyone going through hard times, especially cancer but not just that. And your signature expresses what I've learned as well as any way I could say it.
Last edited by: ac90002: May 31, 17 7:40
Quote Reply
Re: Cancer [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen to that, TJ! #FUCancer, with every breath we take, especially the anaerobic ones.

--
Quote Reply
Re: A cancer [Dan The Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan, and yes, huge ups to your fiancé! You are right, we are all terminal, some of us have had it brought to our attention a bit more directly than others. And your fiancé lights the way with her courageous and successful fight back against the beast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
ac90002 wrote:

Jeebus! Get over yourself.

Quoted to show the world what kind of asshole Arch Stanton is.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cancer [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's just upset he got buried next to a grave marked "Unknown".

Yep everyone on this Earth is born terminal, and world does not revolve around any one of us. Enjoy it while you can because it won't last. If a diagnoses comes along that cuts a short life even shorter, fight it until you can't. There's no giving up.
Quote Reply
Re: Cancer [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:

I had cancer. Guess what? I don't feel the pathetic need to whinge about my lot in life on social media, to make up laughable bullshit about molecules of pain, or to engage in Americans' favorite pastime of competing for who is the biggest victim. All sorts of bad things happen to people. Suck it up, stop moaning about your victimhood, and get on with your life. You are not a special snowflake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:

I had cancer. Guess what? I don't feel the pathetic need to whinge about my lot in life on social media, to make up laughable bullshit about molecules of pain, or to engage in Americans' favorite pastime of competing for who is the biggest victim. All sorts of bad things happen to people. Suck it up, stop moaning about your victimhood, and get on with your life. You are not a special snowflake.

But surely you can understand and maybe even empathize with someone that does feel they might need to do that as an extra kick in their life? There really isn't a need from your side to post what you did. It doesn't help the conversation nor the original poster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:

I have noticed that those that throw out "snowflake" as an expression of fragility are the biggest snowflakes of all. Asshole much?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:

Oh, I get it. My Mother, father, sister, wife and girlfriend have all had it. All beat it except for my wife and our daughters were teenagers at the time. Cancer is pernicious. If I understand what you said, it seems like you expect everyone to handle things the way you did. Again, you're way off base.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:

So.... ignore the thread?

The fact that you took the time to spew your asshat point of view--and then double down here with the dismissive and completely uncreative "snowflake" comment which is the favorite word of those with nothing of substance to say- says a lot about you. Nothing about the OP
Quote Reply

Prev Next