Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Some advice on improving my run.
Quote | Reply
I am looking to improving my run and I am looking for some advice. Here is a bit of background. I have been doing tris consistently for three(3) years.

1st year: My first year of focus on tris I had some achilles issues and tore a ligament in a toe so my running was limited to about two times a week and then a good 4 weeks off. In the off season I did strength training and maintenance.

2nd year: I had some minor issues in May in June with a tight hip. After that things were great ran consistently and did an Ironman. Running was going great. Offseason was maintenance and strength training.

3rd year(this year) Things started off well then in February had some IT band stuff and took 4 weeks off. Really eased back into things and my other IT band acted up. I tried to train around it(goal was a full distance) but 2 weeks before the race it was just too much. Took two weeks off. I have been back running now for 5 weeks pain free.

I have some volume numbers but nothing really data driven just numbers. These numbers are starting the same week and through the current week each year. I have not seen an improvement in my running since I have started. I am doing the regular training protocols. Tempo runs once a week, speed work the following week, long runs, and easy recovery runs. Is there something that I am missing or is it just the process is taking a while longer with my injuries.

I don't have any data for 2013.

20142015DistanceHoursDistanceHoursSwim(meters)18552573.36666667164474.570.8Bike(miles)1804.4135.483627.65209.05Run(miles)670.7894.87488.67568.65
Quote Reply
Re: Some advice on improving my run. [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reformat that data, break it down into weekly mileage, and we might have something to go on. The info you have provided is a list of injuries and year to date miles with varying amounts of time off wedged in there. Cut out the injury time, divide by the number of weeks you were training. You could also give us a rundown of what an average weeks running looks like, i.e. Any long runs, any faster workouts, etc. How do you actually train?

Sounds like you have a lot of injury issues, that's going to make it tough to improve if you can't train consistently, have you seen a PT about any of those?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to give specific advice without knowing more about your situation (age, athletic background, etc.). But based on what you said, and particularly the points on how your body has responded, just my 2 cents:

- Don't aim for volume targets at first (e.g. MPW), aim for consistency. All easy runs, 5-6 times a week, starting with perhaps 20 minutes and then progressively building some days to 40-45 minutes. Once you can do that comfortably, without your body acting up, keep making one run longer (60-90 mins) and look up the BarryP plan in this forum (which is essentially a way to add structure to your weekly program). Then also you can add strides (and then progressively, later on, things like tempo, etc.). But even if you just get to the point of consistent volume of frequent runs, some days longer than others, and regular strides, you can make progress.

- Look up the lunge matrix by Jay Johnson (I think it's posted on Running Times, but google it and you will probably find it) and do that every time you run as part of your warm-up routine. It serves to warm up and strengthen key joints like hips, etc. Also Dave Roche, very fast runner and regular poster here, suggests this 5 minute routine: http://trailrunnermag.com/training/injuries-and-treatment/article/1819-build-a-better-runner-in-5-minutes-a-day

Key takeaways: build a foundation of easy runs, frequency matters (5-6 days, even if it's very short runs some days), consistency over time is king (much better than running some, getting injured, pausing, starting over again, etc.)

Best of luck with your training!
Quote Reply
Re: Some advice on improving my run. [RFXCrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting back to me. I will go through and run that data. I have seen a PT and this is what it came down to. Weak glute medius so I got that taken care of. Then it was tight TFL and a weak psoas. So my focus is now keeping the glutes strong, muscles mobile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is really no substitute for volume. If injury keeps you from doing any significant volume, you need to address whatever imbalance, weakness or whatever is causing the injury, then start your running program.

If you keep getting injured check out Aquabike, swimming or cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Some advice on improving my run. [RFXCrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2014 Weekly Avgs # 20mpw # of Weeks
Nov-Dec 14 0 8
Jan-Mar 16 4 12
Apr-May 27 8 12
Jun-Aug 14 2 8

Typical week for April-Aug. Running 3x a week not counting 15 min transition runs. Tempo Run, Easy Run, Long Run. Following week: Interval Run, Easy Run, Long Run. Then back to the tempo, easy, long.

2015 Weekly # 20mpw # of Weeks
Nov-Dec 7.75 0 8
Jan-Mar 9 0 8
Apr-May 21 2 12
July 15 0 4
Last edited by: lonniecdams: Aug 4, 15 9:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run short but often.
Look up the BarryP plan, that should answer most of your concerns.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2015 I finally solved all the shit i used to go through with running. I was fed up. Years and years of injuries.

Basically it broke down to:

- Taking 6 weeks off after 2014 season to heal everything

- Incorporating strength training on all areas of my legs - hips, glutes, hamstrings, calves, quads -- leaving no stone unturned. Side leg lifts, front lifts, hip hikes, deadlifts, squats -- Strongest legs i could get was the goal without questioning if i had done enough.

- Stopped using a foam roller and went to something to dig deeper, lacrosse ball. Used regularly, almost daily, particularly hips/glutes -- i have a desk job and would keep one at work to roll around on while sitting.

- Starting slowly, my first week was 1x20mins run, then next week was 2x20, then 3x20, then 4x20. From there, started my weekly 'long' run at 5k -- for 20 weeks I increased by 1.5km/week. Eventually got my run up to 32km where I held it for a month before ironman. Zero days of speed work, all MAF style (zone 2) which kept getting faster and faster as the year went on.

To be able to run 70.3's and ironmans without injury pain was almost enough to make me tear up. I battled IT band issues for 4 years.

good luck
Last edited by: vancity: Aug 4, 15 11:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second Desert Dude's advice. Run more frequently. Then longer. I can't figure out how to post the following text as a link, but copy and paste. It's good stuff.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485

Quote Reply