Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Soloist sizing question. please help!
Quote | Reply
Hi. At 5'10-5'11, with a long torso, i'm right at the border of a 54 or 56 cm Cervelo Soloist. Right now my current bike has 56 cm top tube with a 10cm stem. The 56 Soloist also has a 56cm toptube, and the 54 has a 54.5 or so top tube (with which i could use a 12cm stem).

in terms of stability in the aero 76 degree position, do you guys have any insight as to which of these would feel better. either of them is doable in the 73 degree seat angle position, but if one will be better with the 76, that'll baasically seal the deal in terms of which size to go with.

and secondly, i asked this last night but it never got answered so now it's buried on page 2 --why's CSC riding reynolds forks instead of the eastons which come stock on the soloists? just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Soloist sizing question. please help! [rossman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't answer the fork question. Where is Gerard when we need him.

A friend of mine is your height and has a 56cm Soloist that seems to fit him perfectly in either position. I tend to think that a 54 cm is usually for someone a couple of inches shorter than yourself. You'd have to go to the LBS to try them out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 56cm frame may be more stable than the 54, but with the longer head tube you may have difficulty getting the bars low enough to work well. You will probably have enough trouble getting the bars low enough on the 54 cm frame, unless you go with a clip-on bar that has the pads mounted as low as possible, eg the new Hed's when they come out, Vision Tech, or 3t bio arms.

The 54 would probably work best as a dual purpose bike, especially since your current stem is tending towards the short side. The sweet spot for stems (IMO) is 110 - 130 cm.

Also, don't limit yourself to Cervelo. Here's a secret that no-one else knows, but you can do the same thing with any other road bike, by buying a seatpost that can be reversed. Amazing huh! You should also at least consider the trek lineup. The 56cm OCLV has a 56.2cm top tube, and the same functional headtube length (120mm non-integrated) as the 54cm Soloist (140mm integrated). So for essentially the same size bike, you have an extra 1.5 cm of top tube length, or you can go down a size, get a shorter head tube and lower bar position, while keeping the same toptube length as the 54cm soloist.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Soloist sizing question. please help! [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also, don't limit yourself to Cervelo. Here's a secret that no-one else knows, but you can do the same thing with any other road bike, by buying a seatpost that can be reversed. Amazing huh! You should also at least consider the trek lineup. The 56cm OCLV has a 56.2cm top tube, and the same functional headtube length (120mm non-integrated) as the 54cm Soloist (140mm integrated). So for essentially the same size bike, you have an extra 1.5 cm of top tube length, or you can go down a size, get a shorter head tube and lower bar position, while keeping the same toptube length as the 54cm soloist.
I wouldn't mind hearing some more opinions yea/nay about this. I do recall several reputable posters saying that there is a significant difference between the Soloist and other road bikes in terms of weight distribution, etc. in the forward position.
Quote Reply
Re: Soloist sizing question. please help! [natrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you're dealing with is a bike with compact frame geometry, much like Giant TCR, etc. All kinds of debate as to advantages/disadvantages or to whether there is really any difference at all. These bikes might tend to lend themselves a bit better for a forward multi-sport 75/76 position than does conventional road geometry. Hence that's probably why Cervelo designed the Soloist this way.

Some people claim that the Soloist might feel a bit twitchy handling. Can't comment on that as I haven't spent enough time riding one. That doesn't have anything to do with compact geometry since I can't say that my TCR feels twitchy.
Quote Reply
Re: Soloist sizing question. please help! [natrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What, I'm not reputable???

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa, I never said that--in fact, if anything, you might infer that I was giving you credit for being reputable yourself by neutrally comparing your opinion to those of reputable posters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll agree with JasonK. The 54 Soloist will probably be the better way to go, but bear in mind that Cervelo tends to run some of the shortest headtubes in the biz. If you are short of arm, and/or have flexability issues, you may wind up with your bar/stem sitting at the top of a flagpole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the exact same position you were. I'm 5'10.5 and w/ a long torso. I ended up ordering the 54 based on my LBS's advice. Should be picking it up sometime next week.

Chris A
Quote Reply