Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Soliciting crowdfunding advice on powermeter project [kwakeham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kwakeham wrote:

You're right, it is a very intimidating tool. I've walked into countless bike shops and most will have multiple 2000 dollar wheel sets on the wall but never seen a powermeter. This aims back at my thought, maybe the lower level market isn't that real and that current price points reflect what people see as value?

I completely disagree with your conclusion. No, you don't see power meters next to $2k wheels but that has nothing to do with intimidation and everything to do with capitalism. The bike store is advertising what people are actually buying. The average person goes faster with great wheels, it's "free" speed. The powermeter offers nothing that helps someone keep up with there buddies while sprinting to Starbucks.

I understand a lot about power meters, am nowhere near intimidated but am nowhere near forking over the cash for one. I'll save my money and circle the same 11 mile loop frequently to notice an increase in speed at HR. Yes, I am missing out, no it isn't that big of a deal.

And that is my only question. ST is full of people who want power meters and are willing to pay for them, so is this really the audience that you need the opinion of?
Quote Reply
Re: Soliciting crowdfunding advice on powermeter project [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:
And that is my only question. ST is full of people who want power meters and are willing to pay for them, so is this really the audience that you need the opinion of?

This is an excellent question Chris! I do have a motivation on this location that I hope I can make clear. First though, I'm not a marketing guy, I'm an engineering guy, so my research is from books, work with a startup accelerator, and many friends who are working with startups - some successful and some unsuccessful -- this means my experience is likely different from the marketing of people like Garmin / SRM / Shimano / etc. Someone who's an expert in marketing might rebut this in a second flat, and if you are a marketing person step in a tell me if I'm off base.

The people of the ST Forum who own powermeters (or thought of buying) have gone through of a process of informing themselves. They've been motivated by something such as a desire to maximize training, marketing, curiosity, a coach, etc. They have had the unique experience of walking through this process and deciding on a company as well as looking over available and forthcoming products. They have gone through a similar process as potential customers will have to. Thus, they are a prized "expert customer" (even if they never purchased -- they didn't for a reason). You know the process and what you thought at the time. You made that decision of SRM, or Quarq, or Powertap, or if it's not worth it. Some people decided to hold off and will purchase -- Rotor Power / Garmin Vector / etc, and some held off and will never purchase. Both of these have a viewpoint and I think they exist in the forum as well and are valuable experts. I want to try and get at the why.

So all these expert customers can help me see the motivations, who they trust, how to build trust, etc as these people will be presented with these same question. Essentially this is me saying that you are the expert, not me. Some of the questions I hope to answer are: What made you trust a brand? What made you feel good about your purchase? What made you decide against?

I like a Ted talk by simon sinek. It shows how apple products work because they fill a need, but more than that they make people feel good. This is something I'd love to aim at but I'm just a technical kind of guy. http://www.ted.com/..._inspire_action.html It is however very good at explaining that you need to feel good about a product.

Sean, Thanks for your support! I'll PM you off list for more contact information and details.
Quote Reply
Re: Soliciting crowdfunding advice on powermeter project [kwakeham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't help but feel there are many riders that would adopt the power meter as a training tool if it was presented properly and at a low price point.

I have to be very careful with my cash and the power meter has always been out of reach, and not by just a little bit.

When Metrigear made the announcement a few years ago, about a power pedal, I followed it closely. Finally, a power meter within reach. Now it looks like that meter is just as far away as it has always been (whether or not it will work) based on the introductory price target.

I paid less than $100 for my first HRM and waited for some time until that became available.

The first company to release a power meter for the masses, is going to be swamped with orders, but only if it's "within reach", my reach is about $300, and even thats going to hurt. I think there's quite a few riders just like me. Are there enough? and can it even be made at that price point? Time will tell. Until then I will be using the time tested Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE).

I've enjoyed reading your blog and think you will ultimately succeed with an accurate piece of work, I await the final price. If the price is right, I don't think it will matter where you sell it. Based on the work I've seen posted on your blog, I wouldn't hesitate to contribute via kickstarter.

Paul
Last edited by: phburns: Aug 1, 13 6:44
Quote Reply

Prev Next