Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sole seperated from upper -- Need a fix
Quote | Reply
I got a pair of tri shoes over the holidays and started using them this spring. A couple weeks ago I noticed the shoe separated from the carbon sole on my right shoe. I got in touch with customer service and they replaced the shoes under warranty for me. I didn't have to return the defective shoes so I was thinking about trying to fix them and use them for my indoor trainer shoe.

Anyone know what I can use to bond the sole back to the upper leather? Anyone have success doing this?
Quote Reply
Re: Sole seperated from upper -- Need a fix [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had this problem with an old pair of Sidi T1s. I took it to a shop that does boot and saddle (horse not bike) repair work. I am not sure what they did exactly, glued it I assume, but that did the trick!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Selley contact adhesive.... Or similar...
Coat both faces, allow to dry until very tacky, then push both sides together.....
If you can apply and maintain even force and leave the shoes for a day to fully cure you'll get best result.

Personally this has bought me extra time on an MTB shoe but eventually they go again... So perhaps start saving for a new pair now too.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This stuff is awesome: http://www.amazon.com/...ck-3-7/dp/B004PBOJE8

Make sure you clean out the two surfaces as well as you can. Try to scrub off any residual adhesive and any sand/dirt/grime out of the area. I'd take some compressed air or something to really get into the cracks and crevices.
Quote Reply
Re: Sole seperated from upper -- Need a fix [Anando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anando wrote:
This stuff is awesome: http://www.amazon.com/...ck-3-7/dp/B004PBOJE8

Make sure you clean out the two surfaces as well as you can. Try to scrub off any residual adhesive and any sand/dirt/grime out of the area. I'd take some compressed air or something to really get into the cracks and crevices.

+1 on Shoo Goo for DIY.

Also any cobbler can fix them for you.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Sole seperated from upper -- Need a fix [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took mine to a shoe repair shop, they used a heat sensitive glue. Guy told me it was similar to the stuff used by the manufacturers, been fine for 2 years now. I'm not sure if the normal hardware store contact cement would be strong enough for bike shoes, I've used contact cement for leather casual shoes and it's been fine, just not sure it would hold up for cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Sole seperated from upper -- Need a fix [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, I think I'll find a cobbler shop and see what they say. I also thought the Shoo Goo type stuff wouldn't work so well on cycling shoes.
Quote Reply