Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Softride vs. Titanflex
Quote | Reply
OK, softride and titanflex are the main beam bikes. What are the advantages and disadvantages of one versus the other. Does Titanflex have the same bobbing/pedal in circles training thing that the softride classic beam has?

How many water bottles can you get onto these things & howmps if there is no seat tube & on the softride no regular seat post?

Does Titanflex absorb as much road vibration and bumps as the softride?

Can you only get Titanflex's direct from the manufacturer/do you need to do the maintenance on it yourself?
Quote Reply
Re: Softride vs. Titanflex [goolsbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own a Softride, don't know much about the TitanFlex. There is no "learning" or "training" to do with the beam. Just get on and ride.

With a behind the seat carrier, you can get 3 bottles on a Softride. The carrier attaches to the seat rails of your saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride vs. Titanflex [jethropup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I own a Softride, don't know much about the TitanFlex. There is no "learning" or "training" to do with the beam. Just get on and ride.
How many people would disagree with that?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titan-Flex is a lighter, mechanically simpler design with several different boom stiffness options. I think they're only available directly from Tom himself, but understand that he's excellent to work with. Based solely on the pictures I've seen, you need a behind the seat carrier if you want to carry more than one bottle.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Softride vs. Titanflex [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had a softride since last september my main concern before building it was how long to adapt.
No worries I completged a century ride first weekend after building the bike and had no problems learning to ride the beam with exception of high cadence on climbs I did bounce a little but over that ride I adjusted so learning curve for myself at least was very short. This was 2 weeks after ironman wisconsin on
a cannondale then used the softride in florida 6 weeks later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Softride is a Beam bike. TitanFlex is a Boom bike. Both do what they advertise, namely, suspend your rear end above the rest of the bike to isolate it not only from road shock, but even outright big shocking bumps. They have allowed many riders with back problems to be able to continue their riding when rigid frames beat them up too much to do so.

TitanFlex is BY FAR the simplest mechanically. One allen bolt holds the boom in place...you can slide the boom in or out a significant distance...the result is lenthening/shortening your cockpit. The seatpost is just like on a normal bike...one allen bolt allows you to raise or lower the seat. Seat fore-aft is just like on a normal bike, too. The frame is very rigid: you can stand and crank on it with less flex than most DD bikes...very, very stiff frame. The only thing you have to do is decide which framesize is correct, and choose your boom stiffness. Hint to those looking for a TT setup...make sure the frame you choose has an adequate Front-to-Center distance for good weight distribution when in the aero position. The Large 650 has a greater F-to-C distance than the middle-sized 700. If you are around 6 feet tall, and the Large 700 may not be long enough front-to-center in a TT setup, so, in these cases, I'd go for a 700 XL if you don't want a 650. I'm 71 inches with 32 inseam and rather heavy upper body, and the 700 is fine...if I were taller and/or heavier upper body, I'd be better fit on the Large 650. Otherwise, if riding in a normal road configuration, just go by the charts. Oh, you can get a functional TitanFlex into the mid-teens weight-wise.

The TF has THREE water-bottle cage holes pre-drilled. All carry a Large water bottle on the Large 700 framesize...don't know about the other sizes. That's enough water for races where water is available on course.

Softride is mechanically more complex, but, I understand they have improved greatly from their original iterations.

Softride may be more aerodynamic as a frame only. How one is able to position oneself on the bike is more important than the frame drag numbers...either of these bikes WILL BE MORE COMFORTABLE than a traditional DD configuration, so, especially on rough and/or long courses, your bike split should be better on either of these bikes. I find that with less effort spent trying to keep the pain down from hard jarring bumps, my legs don't seem as tired after the ride. You can actually STAY SEATED and pedal while riding across railroad ties in the roadbed. The suspended weight also allows better cornering than non-suspended designs...just ask the engineers that know about vehicles with suspension vs. those without...you do have to modify your cornering technique, though; you stay fully seated on a beam/boom bike, not weighting the extended outside leg like on a rigid setup.

I highly recommend people trying these bikes. It certainly makes it tough to go back to a double diamond....even if your sore back heals. One day I hope to get a TF in a road configuration to replace my Talon...which I only use now on big group rides.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a lot of research before buying my TitanFlex. The one thing that concerned me with the Softride was the mechanical aspect. I have seen way too many issues with the way it goes together and adjustments are a pain. I think the Classic has more of a problem with the "bounce" than the Rocket series. I have never felt like I bounce on the TitanFlex. Here in Michigan, we have some pretty bad roads and a lot of chip coating. This summer has been a dream on the TitanFlex because I don't get beat to death on the rides - long or short.

I have one bottle on the down tube and behind the seat bottle holder for 3 bottles. This is fine for races where you have support. On long training rides you have the 3 plus what you can carry in your jersey or you have to stop for refills. That isn't that diffferent than a DD bike reallly.

TitanFlex is direct sale, but Tom is great to work with. The only maintenance that is "different" than a DD bike is you need to pull and lub the boom once a year. I have 10 thumbs and can do that. The softride has parts that must be replaced on a regular basis (according to their web site) and I have had people tell me that 3 hands would be nice.

Like everyone, I have a biased point of view, but I really like the bike. Next year as I train for IMMOO will be the real test. I did MOO twice on a Trek Hilo and thought I would die before I got of the bike and my pathetic run was even worse.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have a perfect square for a pedal stroke. I just rode the damn thing. Certainly did not need training wheels like Cervelo riding fools.

Speak with science, not hypothetical BS.

One thing I certainly did not have to get used to was the suspension saving my back and ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the previous comments.

The TitanFlex website has a lot of information and makes a comparison (somewhat biased of course) between Softride and TitanFlex:

http://www.titanflex-usa.com/compare.htm

I was in your shoes last April. I thought long and hard between the Softride and TitanFlex and TF got the nod -- I'm not saying this is the best possible decision for everyone, but I think it was for me. If it's of any help, I posted some of my impressions of the bike:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...lapsed;guest=5031916

As others have said, Tom is fantastic to deal with. If you e-mail him, give it a couple of days because there seems to be some sort of filter or firewall that takes a few days to get through before you get a response from Tom (that was my case anyway). Also, Tom can get just about any component and he sells them at little or not profit -- comes in handy if you want to build your bike your own way.

BTW -- I build my own bikes and I haven't run across anything unusual about the TitanFlex as far as maintenance is concerned, so any competent bike shop should be able to handle build and maintenance. However, this is my first bike with internal cable routings so I'm not sure what special maintenance problems might crop up in the future.

Good luck!
Last edited by: AeroEgg: Sep 11, 05 13:31
Quote Reply
Re: Softride vs. Titanflex [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get the whole mechanically more complex hyperbole? My 03' Accord is more complex than a Dodge but it certainly doesn't stop me from buying it?!?!?!

Replacing the bolt takes all of 2 minutes and an allen wrench, tops.

Tons of miles on my Classic Beam and I have not had a single problem. Going in and out of the bike case is just like lowering or removing the seatpost on a regular bike, loosen the bolt and that's it.

As far as aerodynmics differences, I could care less and the avg AGer ain't gonna know the difference. I ride my bike on the road, not in a wind tunnel. I bought mine for comfort as the primary purchasing decision.

I'm don't know enough about the Titan to comment, but as far as saying a Softride is more complex is not necessarily a reason to sway a decision IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride vs. Titanflex [jethropup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Speak with science, not hypothetical BS.
Riiiiiight... just like you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without going into too much detail, I've owned both. I sold my Softride Rocket and bought a Titanflex and am very happy with the change. I had many mechanical problems with the Rocket and none with the TF. The TF is lighter, stiffer, equally compliant to road chatter, cheaper, and will not break. I have a Minoura for behind the seat and a bottle on the frame. As for care and feeding, just take it to a regular bike shop. Unlike the Softride, the TF will not need any highly specialized work. You can't go wrong with a TF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, you've added so much to the discussion here ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got two SR's, both classic beams. If there was a learning curve it was not steep nor long. I've known about dozen cyclists who've owned a SR and one of the 12 never adapted and went through a couple of Rocket beams trying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing I can add to the above comments is that you can review the posts dealing with the Titanflex on this site. I don't think you will find a single negative statement about either the bike or the company. Not so with the Softride.

I bought my Titanflex this year, and I am very happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride vs. Titanflex [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode a Softride TT Rocketwing for three years until it got taken out by a car. I loved the ride and did all my bike split PR's on it for triathlon's and in addition always felt fresh for the run. After it got destroyed I decided to go back to a diamond frame tri/time trial bike ( the name which I won't mention) and found it not nearly as comfortable, or in my case as fast for me time trialing as my Rocketwing and I just didn't feel that same freshness starting the run as I did on the Softride. I recently sold my diamond frame tri bike and purchased a Softride FasTT and couldn't be happier. I ride a regular diamond frame (carbon) for group rides, but love the Softride for Tris/Time Trialing.

You can read Slowman's review of the Softride FasTT here:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ext=Softride%20FasTT

I've never had any problem with bouncing or pedal stroke on the Softride. I always had a pretty smooth pedal stroke, but if you don't it can only help it get better. I would definitely test ride one and decide for yourself. They're probably not for everyone, but neither is carbon, titanium, aluminum, etc. I have no experience with the Titanflex, but have heard mostly favorable comments on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had 2 Zipp's.....sold them.....bought a Softride......sold it.....bought 2 brand new Zipps!! LOVE "EM

Nothing beats the Zipp 2001 beam bikes!!

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflex is cheaper than the Rocket but there is no Titanflex lower brow equivalent to the Qualifier, is there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are some other TitanFlex framesets than the standard one you see....you might want to check into those to see if any meet your specifications.

By the way, I am not a TitanFlex employee, although I've offered to be the Southeastern Rep for Tom...I know AJFranke and others would wrestle me for that position if there were such a thing! I just like the concept and bike, and feel it saved my ability to ride due to lower back pain issues.

Again, Softride is a fine bike, I'm sure. I just chose the one that seemed better for me...Adam at Softride is available on this site just as much as Tom is. The more Beam and Boom bikes that are on the road, the more likely I feel we beamers and boomers will be allowed to use our bikes in races in the future.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflex rocks. Very simple design, easy to work on, easy to adjust and dependable! Best bike decision I have ever made.

Rich

Richard Nixon, Fit2Tri Multisport Inc.
Fit2Tri,
rich@fit2tri.com
Discount code, slowtwithch
Quote Reply
Re: Softride vs. Titanflex [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Had 2 Zipp's.....sold them.....bought a Softride......sold it.....bought 2 brand new Zipps!! LOVE "EM

Nothing beats the Zipp 2001 beam bikes!!

Why did you sell the first ones?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every TitanFlex owner on Slowtwitch seems to be posting in this thread. I also have one and love it.

The only thing more I can add to what's been said above is that I found it easier to climb, out of the saddle, on a TF as compared with a softride. The Softride's beam kept hitting my thighs when the bike rocked. Not so with the Titanflex who's boom sits at about the same level as the top tube of a traditional bike.

Over the past couple of year's that I've dealt with Tom, he's been amazing.

Cheers,

Rob
Quote Reply
Re: Softride vs. Titanflex [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was stupid!! : )

Actually I found a custom Tiemeyer that fit me very well. I then sold one of the first 2 Zipps I had. Then for some unknown stupid reason I sold the other Zipp. Then bought the Softride for long distance races. Raced one 1/2IM and then sold it. I then found 2 brand new still in the bubble wrap Zipps frames. This was about 1 year ago. Then sold the Tiemeyer. All I have left are the 2 Zipps. Someone will need to pry them from my dead bloody hands before I ever give them up!! I've owned lots of bikes (Treks x2, Cannondale x3, Kestrel, Softride, Tiemeyer) and NOTHING compares to the Zipps. They are fast and comfortable. They are a pure pleasure to ride. I ride them everyday.

They can be a bit of a maintence nightmare at times. But being a bike mechanic I do all my own work. These last 2 I built from the bare frame.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took delivery of my Titanflex 4 weeks ago, 6 days before Timberman. Like everyone here, I looked long and hard at softrides and read everything on Slowtwitch about them. For me, living on the other side of the world, the mechanical simplicity was the big deciding factor. I can use a standard seatpost, everything adjusts with just an allen key and it's just so damn simple.

I was fitted with a more relaxed position than I've had recently, and it took some getting used to, so much so that I steepened it up a degree during the week before the race. I also really liked how easy it was to alter the amount of flex in the boom to adjust to pedalling style. When I first started riding, I found that above about 92rpm, I was starting to bounce a bit. I know I can improve this, but I had a race to ride, so after talking to Tom, I just pushed the boom in a little and pulled the seat back. Exactly the same position, but slightly stiffer and I didn't bounce until about 98rpm. Perfect. The ride was supple, absorbed all the road irregularities and allowed me to stay seated when those around me were jumping up off their saddles. Coming off the bike after 56 tough miles of hills (for me at least) I coudn't believe just how easy it was to run, there was no stiffness or pain. Great.

I built my bike up using the group and extras from my previous bike and Tom will work with you to get exactly the setup you want. His service and aftercare is second to none, he's in a class of precisely 2 in my book. Himself and Emilio DeSoto.

This is probably the last bike I ever see myself buying. In the winter if I want a road bike, I can just adjust the geometry, put on some road drops and I have a slack road bike. In the spring it's on with the aeros and I have a tight tri bike. Two bikes for the price of one.

You can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Get the feeling I like it. Spot on.

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking at the TF and SR until I found a great deal on a Rocket TT7 at an LBS. I didn't find the beam bounce to be a big problem. I quickly learned to spin better. some think the beam helps teach a better stroke. I would really have to think twice before getting a DD frame for Tri.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next