Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Softride Power Wing 650c: pick it or not?
Quote | Reply
I've found a well maintained Softride Powerwing with ultegra 600 (2x8) components; alu fork, alu 650c rims, look adjustable stem, gripshift shifters. It is sold for some 500$. Would it still be an enjoyable ride? It would not be my main bike tough, I would pick it more as a collectible item... your opinions?
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power Wing 650c: pick it or not? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would since the LOOK adjustable stem alone is worth $$$.

650c wheels are also a little easier to come by on the second hand market, as they are not in such high demand. However, latex and/or tubular options are limited. The other concern would be replacing proprietary parts.

I picked up a Softride 650c Powerwing last winter and built it up, so obviously it is what I would do. However, I am a sucker for old tech. I can tell you with a disc on the back it is still fast though and comfortable. Pretty sweet looking after a paint job.

Last thing I would look at is making sure you mount the rear brake under the bottom bracket.

Good luck,

Jason
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power Wing 650c: pick it or not? [Jason D.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot, Jason! :))
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power Wing 650c: pick it or not? [Jason D.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Delamination of the beam is also a bit of a concern, since replacement beams are difficult to find. I agree with regards to wheels, speed and comfort.

Jason, can you post pics of your rear brake placement? I presume you drilled through the middle of the weld. No problems about integrity of the bottom bracket or stability of the brake mount? I have a Rocket TT that I might modify that way if it's feasible. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power Wing 650c: pick it or not? [aahydraa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The classic beams don't really delaminate as often as the Rocket beams, but i don't know if there is a repair for them. Also, classic beams and spare parts show up on ebay way more often then rocket beams do.
Quote Reply