Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Socks cost too much
Quote | Reply
i am constantly in need of good socks for running and cycling. good athletic socks. mid-ankle. i don't really care about the color, or what it says on it, it just has to be a good sock. and it can't cost a fortune.

so i'm asking a couple of things. first, am i the only one? second, is there a sock, or sock style, or even better if you know the mill, where i can get these made? or bought? what are your favorites?

then, what color do you want? and do you want a slowtwitch logo, some other logo, or no logo?

finally, what price would you pay in bulk? how many pairs would you buy at once? and what would be the upper price limit? i know what you want, you want $2 a pair. but what would you pay? what would cause you to pull the trigger on a 6-pack of running/cycling socks? (me, i use the same socks for both.)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Socks cost too much [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan,

I am in the same shoe as you on this. I am lucky as my EX used to work for Nike and I had so many pairs of black and white socks that 10 years later I am just starting to run out.

I am cheap in regards to socks as my toe nails curl up a bit and I kill the toes in socks very quickly. So I would want 6 pairs for a max of $15 for a 6 pack. Black or white. I like white for running and black for riding. I know silly but that is the way it is. I would buy 12 at a time in a second for the right price.

I like my socks just at the level of my ankle bone or just above. Not too low that the top of my shoes go over but not too tall that I have brutal tan lines.

My favorites are Nike and Sugoi. EDIT: also know someone that works for Sugoi so I was able to get free socks from there as well. I have not bought sport socks in a decade so you can take my information for what it is.
Last edited by: BMANX: Nov 19, 14 10:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love merino wool based socks, ride them almost exlusively now (even in the hot/humid summer). Trying them was an eye opening experience a couple years ago. My most recent purchase was SmartWool PhD Cycling Ultra Light 3/4 Crew, bought 5 pair in June and have ridden them most of the time (still have some older, shorter smartwools they replaced that are getting very worn that still get rotated in when i don't do laundry in time). I paid $10/pair on eBay for them. I'd buy more at that price. I think I've paid about $15 each for a couple pair of much thicker winter wool socks. The good thing about the wool is you can wear them multiple times before washing without a problem (at least I can).

I wear the cycling for running sometimes, but I'm not a runner anymore.

I much prefer the 3/4 length and a very light or white color for cycling.

Powered by Dalzell Coaching
Last edited by: jsiege11: Nov 19, 14 10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.roadrunnersports.com/...hion-no-show-3-pack/

Love the socks, hate the price. I'd be willing to pay 5, maybe 6 a pair in a 6 pack. $10 a pair is too much. (Got the last set as a gift).

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had this issue... I run sockless most of the time, else I've been on the same two pairs of Injiji toe socks for the last 2 years... And I've been using the same one pair of Mavic cycling socks for the last... err... maybe 4 years?

I guess I don't chafe / rub as much as others :|
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you are asking too much. I've found that you tend to get what you pay for. The better socks for me have proven more durable.

LOVE....LOVE my Swiftwicks! But they are fairly expensive. They do have a purple sock that color matches my race kit to draw more attention. So that's cool.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I buy 2-3 pair of a year with my team kit order, always white(cuz that is what you get in a bulk order). They are around $5-6 a pair. I only ride no running. New socks are for weekend use in nice weather and races. The older they get the more I use them in bad conditions until they are CX socks. Finally rags or dog toys.

I would gladly pick up a 10 pack of similar quality socks (defeet aireator) for around $50 and have a stock to pull from for a couple of years, has to be around 4" height.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While you probably aren't the only one, I think there are a lot of people on this board who do not share your desire.

I find that it works better for me to have all my socks be different than to have them all be the same. Easier to match up in the laundry and replace the worn ones when it's time. If all my socks are the same, there are issues with differing amounts of wear. Good socks are expensive, but for me worth the $100/year I spend on a handful of new fancy socks (running/cycling/work). And in Silicon Valley your "sock game" is important. Nobody wears a tie, so socks are about the only way to add some flair to your wardrobe.

And I always ask for socks as a gift. No better stocking stuffer than a pair of Smartwool or Balega socks.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the C9 by Champion at Target are great bang for your buck. They changed their sizing not long ago so...don't fit me nearly as well, sadly. If I ever find Swiftwick's (or comparable brands/quality) on sale, I grab them. RunningWarehouse has (I think) FitSock socks with their name/logo on them that you can add on at point of sale for $2-3 (I don't recall)...I have LOTS of those.

I won't bat an eyelash paying $5 for good socks. $10 for "nice" socks makes me groan a little, but not something I lose sleep over. I can't pay $15 for socks, I just can't.

I'd be all over 4-5" crew socks. Not white though. Designs, logos, whatever don't make any difference to me and in fact I prefer something over nothing. I have a bunch of Pearl Izumi cycling socks, the ones with funny little quotes and pictures - crap socks, but fun, and get a lot of comments by riders and the general population.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like $5 a pair. $20 for 5 pairs would be awesome. White or black with or without a logo would be fine.

My favorite socks came from one of those semi-discount shoe stores... a 5 or 10 pack of New Balance branded, somewhat compressive, white below the ankle socks for what I think worked out to $2/pair. No L/R bullshit either.... It's hard enough to find a pair of socks at 5am to also need to find a correct L + R pair.
Last edited by: owen.: Nov 19, 14 10:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweat wicking, color doesn't matter, not too thick, logo doesn't matter....I would love to pay $20 for a pack of 5 or 6.

I love Wrightsock and have a few pairs that I wear and rewear before the laundry gets done. I think I have 4 pairs that I wear all the time. They're so darn expensive! I wear the same socks for biking and running.

I really hope this is going somewhere! Especially if it's ST and slowman approved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 pair for $8 and they are indestructible...Redhead sock from Bass Pro Shop
http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Cotton-Low-Cut-Socks-for-Men-3-Pair-Pack/product/120829053527621/

--------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: bhc: Nov 19, 14 10:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, they're too expensive. On the other hand, I can't seem to kill my socks. So that does mean they're priced fairly?

I still have 10-plus-year-old DeFeet socks that haven't lost any elasticity. I have 5-year-old Wickwear socks that I wear at least once a week and they show no signs of age. My SmartWool and Pearl Izumi wool socks will not die. I haven't had the Swiftwicks long enough to judge their durability but they feel even more robust than the others.

I'd pay $25-$30 for a 6-pack of equally good-looking, reliable athletic socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want loud obnoxious colored compression socks with the ST logo. If I can't get that then just any old thing will do.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Socks?

http://stevefleck.blogspot.ca/.../01/black-socks.html

Defeet 5in, black Logo sock. $10, MSRP I think. I have 3 - 4 pair. They last forever, and never show the dirt! :)

Now if you appreciate a finer wine, or weave in this case, I highly recommend the Swiftwick Aspire cycling socks. Outstanding. There is something about the fit and feel of these socks when you have them on . . . well . . it does not feel like you have any socks on! Now they are a bit more at $16.99.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree, socks are too damn expensive. I do prefer "dedicated" cycling and running socks but it is a personal preference as I get less/no blisters with a good pair of running socks compared to equally good cycling socks (not sure why).

Black is always good. Merino wool is almost a must. No comment for or against logos. Just higher than the ankle is ideal but no below ankle socks.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Socks cost too much [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Balega makes the best running socks out there. Not exactly Target cheap, but I don't mind paying more for socks that are comfortable and help prevent blisters. Never had a problem with Balegas and I've used them in pouring rain, in mud and in extremely hot temps both on the road and on the trails.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks cost too much [jsiege11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My most recent purchase was SmartWool PhD Cycling Ultra Light 3/4 Crew"

on its website they're $18 and $19 a pair. this is exactly what i'm talking about. that's just uncalled for. but i take your point. the trick is to find this sock, something very much like it, for a reasonable price.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Socks cost too much [maddog95835] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swiftwick Aspire Four Compression socks in black with the Slowtwitch logo. I'd pay $60 for a half dozen.

Here's something similar so I believe the price point can be hit.

http://shop.mellowjohnnys.com/...-four-black-thin.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like a mid-ankle sock as well, high enough to ensure the shoe doesn't go over the top, but low enough to be unobtrusive. Couldn't care less about the colour, I mostly (but not always) avoid white as they tend to go off-white over time (particularly for running). Not fussed either way about a logo - if it was cheaper to get the same quality of sock without a logo, I'd go without.

I generally get my socks off these guys - http://www.prendas.co.uk/.../footwear/socks.html Always seem to have a deal on discontinued lines, so generally end up paying about £3-4 ($5-7) per pair. That seems to me to be the pricing sweet spot to get decent quality. Had good experiences with the Defeet Triathlete sock, and the Coolmax socks (available in various team or national colours if you like that sort of thing, or plain if you don't). Not had such good experience with cheap ankle socks from the likes of Nike or Adidas - they seem to be low quality and get holes fast, either from toenails or from sticking a finger through them when putting them on in a hurry.

Best pair of running socks I own is from X Socks. They're my go to sock for long runs or running races, but they're expensive so I only own one pair. Most hard-wearing socks I own are an IM-branded pair (don't know the make, they're black and grey with a red logo), bought them in 2004 and they have Dorian Gray-like qualities, don't seem to have aged at all despite being used at least once a week for a decade.

Ideal price point for me is about $5 per pair, would go a bit higher than that if I could be convinced I was paying for quality, but not much. 6 pack for something like $20-25 would be a no-brainer. Always nice having a bunch of socks the same so you don't have to worry about finding a matching pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never thought I'd care much about socks, but had some feet issues and have subsequently fallen in love with Swiftwicks since trying them out. It's pretty much what I wear all the time now, for work and training. They last forever.

I have the Business sock drawer arrangement (which are great for commuting by bike and just throwing on my dress shoes once at work) and a variety of the shorter ones for running and race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks cost too much [maddog95835] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maddog95835 wrote:
Balega makes the best running socks out there. Not exactly Target cheap, but I don't mind paying more for socks that are comfortable and help prevent blisters. Never had a problem with Balegas and I've used them in pouring rain, in mud and in extremely hot temps both on the road and on the trails.

X2. They are not cheap but I've got some that are probably 2 or 3 years old that I still wear. When you amortize them over a couple of years its like 50 cents a month for a pair of socks. going cheap on the interface between your shoes and feet is not a smart move imho. same with bike/tri-shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that everyone seems to over charge for socks. I have found myself just buying these grab bag coolmax socks. I actually really like the socks and they are relatively cheap (6 socks for $25).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i am constantly in need of good socks for running and cycling. good athletic socks. mid-ankle. i don't really care about the color, or what it says on it, it just has to be a good sock. and it can't cost a fortune.

so i'm asking a couple of things. first, am i the only one? second, is there a sock, or sock style, or even better if you know the mill, where i can get these made? or bought? what are your favorites?

then, what color do you want? and do you want a slowtwitch logo, some other logo, or no logo?

finally, what price would you pay in bulk? how many pairs would you buy at once? and what would be the upper price limit? i know what you want, you want $2 a pair. but what would you pay? what would cause you to pull the trigger on a 6-pack of running/cycling socks? (me, i use the same socks for both.)

Dan,
I get mine at Marshalls. Usually clearance section about twice a year. Usually can get thorpads which are insanely expensive at running stores but
2-3$ on sale at marshalls and they last forever. PM me if you want next time I go I will gladly get you a couple. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Socks cost too much [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
I think the C9 by Champion at Target are great bang for your buck.

They are fantastic for the price. After years of burning through dozens of pairs of Smart Wool then Darn Tough wool socks I've found the C9s to be way more durable and plenty functional. They make them big enough to fit my size 15 feet too.

That said, I'd go for some reasonably priced higher quality socks at a decent price point.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply

Prev Next