Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer?
Quote | Reply
Did a search and didn't find anything on this, but i heard a rumor that Sunny Garcia may be doing ironman. Anyone out there heard anything or know the guy? He is kind of like one of our founding fathers in the surfing world. Been surfing since around the beginning of pro surfing and continues to do so at a very advanced age for surfers. I believe he lives in Hawaii somewhere, so probably got an invite if indeed he is racing. Certainly would do well in the swim, but probably not up to the other two celebrities as far as the other two sports, but who knows. Maybe he was a runner or something else to supplement all those years of pro surfing, certainly he has some good leg strength from surfing millions of waves...

Just did a wiki search and if he does race, better not get in his way. Recently did a beat down on someone who dropped in on his son, some cameraman got footage, but pulled it for fear of his life. Usually these videos get out there and camera guys try and cash in, this guy said right up front, I will fear for my life if i release this, so he just let the whole thing die down..One bad MF'er..
Last edited by: monty: Apr 19, 14 9:54
Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know he did lava man with a 1 on 1 race against BJ Penn last year for charity i think. He has also lost a ton of weight.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that helps substantiate the rumor i heard, he has at least done a triathlon. And losing weight would be key for him, he has always been built like a fire hydrant.
Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://instagram.com/sunnygarcia

he has some pics up from racing.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used to really like his style... Such a powerful surfer.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't try to swim over top of Sunny, vid of the fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG4pjn_Xr54

On that note, I was watching a vid on youtube of gebrasaillase winning his first world title - as a junior, he passes the kenyan guy in the final straight and the kenyan punches him in the back!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know who the "got milk" mystery person is? Looks to be short and stocky, so it could be Ohno...

Any guesses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_NM59CTj5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyAn46OIh8c

Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebmot wrote:
Does anyone know who the "got milk" mystery person is? Looks to be short and stocky, so it could be Ohno...

Any guesses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_NM59CTj5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyAn46OIh8c

Ohno has posted pics at the pool and on a road bike in the last week. And he is a former chocolate milk spokesperson. 99% sure that he is the new chocolate milk guy.
Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [godaddygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, you just proved my spam settings were the issue with me not getting notifications from slowtwitch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on now Monty, can't forget about our ST resident sponger...

;-)

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's doing Honu this year. So, there's a possibility that might lead to Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet you Sunny is pissed about the new age-group start at Kona. He would beatdown everyone else Da-Hui style.

In all seriousness, would be cool to see him do it. Though I am sure Kelly Slater would race it, and still destroy everyone....on a beach cruiser.

Sidenote: I came up through NSSA, and surfed a ton on the points chasing WQS level. Surfing has no bearing on swimming performance, I am a testament to that. It does help with comfort in the water, but that's about it.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had always hoped Slater would be the guy to do this once he gets done on he CT (if he ever gets done).

I like sunny but at the same time he's kind of an asshole.
Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet you Sunny is pissed about the new age-group start at Kona. He would beatdown everyone else Da-Hui style. //

I mentioned that he should be good to go in the swim, but after looking at his swim finish pic of honu that someone posted in an earlier collage, i may have to reverse my prediction. Take a look at the dude right next to him at the swim finish, and Sunny is wearing a wetsuit to boot! Bet no one had the balls to tell him they were not allowed either!!

But you are right that being a pro surfer does not guarantee you to be a good to great swimmer, just seems like you should be better than average though. But thinking back now, it was in my day that we had to swim after each and every wipe out. In Sunny's career there were always surf leashes. I must have swam thousands of times from the outside to the beach before surf leashes were invented. Surfing was a whole different experience back then, probably how i got to be so good in OW surf swims. Eventually got me both my careers too, so got to thank all those wipe outs and early morning swim workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the nod Brian! Sunny has been living in California for a long time. He did some jail time for tax evasion, and after coming out of jail, he started training a lot. I have seen stuff in the surf media recently about him training for and doing triathlons. Wouldn't surprise me to see him go for Ironman.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That photo is from Lavaman, not Honu. And the swim was wetsuit legal. The guy next to Sunny started in an earlier wave. Not sure what his swim split was this year, but last year he swam 28-ish minutes for 1500M at Lavaman. I've seen Sunny riding and running a lot the last few years on the North Shore. He seems really humble and excited about the triathlon thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I met Sunny before Malibu last year and he was pretty enthused about the sport. Then I saw him a month later in Kona. He's definitely been sniffing around. Should be fun, he seems tough enough, willing to hurt - and there's always value in being a local boy.
Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if he had caught a guy in an earlier wave there, and didn't see any other wetsuits in the photo, so assumed it was a non wetsuit swim in hawaii. All good to know, just upped my swim prediction for him once again...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, Kelly Slater uses VON SOL fins. If you're not using VON SOL, doesn't seem like you're going to have a good chance at beating him...radical stuff designed over there in Oceanside. I guess they are making skateboards now too, not just surf boards/fins. Of course, I can't say I actually surf (land locked) but know a little bit about it. I prefer water of the frozen kind with skinny skis/poles.
Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slater uses FCS fins. Even saw it tonight on his board data in his heat at bells. He used a Von Sol trailer for the Quik NY contest a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [CreepingDeath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "nubster" fin helped Slater win his 11th ASP world championships. From the news I saw Von Sol sold hundreds of nubsters overnight after Slater used it the first time in competition. The inventor was actually on the world pro team with Slater & is a former US National Champion himself. Surfing is pretty cool stuff but I just don't have the water access. Guess I could take a trip out west & have Mr. Slater give me a few pointers!
Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm familiar with the nubster, Von Sols windfall, Slater (I grew up surfing ESA events against him and his brother in CFL), and still get in the water to surf 4-5 times per week - waves pending. Slater used the fin in the NY contest and maybe uses it occasionally but make no mistake, he uses FCS fins which are generally considered the industry standard although I do like Futures too. Always hoped he would find triathlon one day.
Last edited by: CreepingDeath: Apr 21, 14 3:57
Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [CreepingDeath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, love seeing Esa on a triathlon forum. Are you still in the FL area? Waves were firing for Easter contest for once.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Savage8778 wrote:
Man, love seeing Esa on a triathlon forum. Are you still in the FL area? Waves were firing for Easter contest for once.

No doubt. Never thought I'd be mentioning ESA on slowtwitch. Yes, in Florida. Left in mid-late 80's and was in California for next 20 or so years. Came back here in 2008.

Saturday was good. Are you in Brevard? We might know each other. Especially if you were on the QS and a Florida guy. PM me.
Quote Reply
Re: So we have Beckham and Ono, but what about this big time pro surfer? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw Sunny at both last year's and this year's Waikoloa lavamans...pretty sure he DNF'ed this year. The website results have him finishing 983rd (out of 988). He did finish last year for the BJ Penn charity thing, but looked pretty haggard. I'd be shocked if he pursued triathlons in the future.
Great surfer, not such a great triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next