Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So the MRI was unremarkable.... (Talk about Charlatans)
Quote | Reply
Looking for some advice here:

Previous post detailing pain

After thinking I had a peroneal muscle injury I saw my PT and he recommended see an orthopedic surgeon as he was sure I had a lateral meniscus tear. So my surgeon sent me for MRI and it has come back unremarkable. He recommended taking som time off and I told him I have already taken 2 months off running. He then said I should go back to the PT for a month and start taking Aleve twice a day. What the? Wouldn't a soft tissue injury have healed in 2 months or at least the inflammation have went down? Should I get a second opinion or try what the doc has prescribed? Wish I had a more running based PT in the area to see......
Last edited by: blaxxuede: Feb 21, 17 6:55
Quote Reply
Re: So the MRI was unremarkable.... [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your ortho surgeon suggested you take an NSAID?

Doesn't inflammation mean the affected area is trying to heal itself? Why would he suggest you thwart that process?
Quote Reply
Re: So the MRI was unremarkable.... [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never Realized I had a reply to this post........

Wanted to post an update.

So 3 months no running.....PT with no DX......getting worse....to the point that I can barely walk on it. I can ride the bike with no pain whatsoever but Running is excruciating....jogged 100 feet from the bus stop with my boy the other day and felt a pop with big time pain. Got better in a day or 2 as in I could somewhat walk again. Really getting sick of going to the PT and Ortho and being told its soft tissue.......

Symptoms:
Pain behind the knee and laterally going down the calf and sometimes over top of the foot with twisting and/or pain at a very deep flexion of knee internally/mostly lateral. When running walking pain is produced in the same areas with planting and upstroke of the heel (no actual pain in heel).

No swelling and not tender to touch anywhere at any point.

Quote:
Your ortho surgeon suggested you take an NSAID?

Doesn't inflammation mean the affected area is trying to heal itself? Why would he suggest you thwart that process?

I was kind of thinking the same thing.....I guess reducing inflammation reduces pain so I have been icing at home as well as NSAIDS to no avail......ughhh frustrating not having doctors willing to do proper evaluations.

Going to see FAST TRACK Physical Therapy in Fairfax,VA next Friday.....hopefully they can do a better job DXing and giving me a plan going forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MRIs dont always show everything - I had an MRI of my knee two weeks as it was suspected I am a meniscus tear, nothing really came to light on the results however due to job, it was really affecting my work so I opted for surgery.

After they went in using a camera they found multiple tears including a large house shoe one on the lateral side of my knee and a number of small tears to the medial side too that just didnt show up on the MRI.

They arent always that conclusive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go for a second opinion. I'm usually a big fan of orthos who don't want to operate but maybe you need someone more open-minded. Could it be a nerve injury? Might be worth an expanded work-up.

PT's aren't supposed to make diagnoses - obviously they are great for rehab but I wouldn't rely on them for an answer.

Be an advocate for yourself. I was refused a shoulder MRI twice by my sports medicine doc and finally pushed hard enough to get one. It turned out I had a bad labrum tear and needed surgery.

Good luck - hope you make some progress.
Quote Reply
Re: So the MRI was unremarkable.... [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah you are probably right......frustrating seeing them all the time....seems like they want you there as many times as possible......when they could do a more thorough evaluation initially .......gonna call and try to get a copy of the mri and then a second opinion .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diagnosis: Subluxing Fibular head.......Taped and felt instantly better......freaking doctors - why did it take 7 visits to 3 doctors, an mri and no answers.......1 trip to an out of network provider(cash only) got a real eval and diagnosis........no wonder our co-pays keep going up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
Diagnosis: Subluxing Fibular head.......Taped and felt instantly better......freaking doctors - why did it take 7 visits to 3 doctors, an mri and no answers.......1 trip to an out of network provider(cash only) got a real eval and diagnosis........no wonder our co-pays keep going up

Glad you found a doc that knew what it was. Docs are like anything else in life; some suck at their job, most are OK, and some are outstanding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"why did it take 7 visits to 3 doctors, an mri and no answers"

i think all medical personnel should be required to have some background in bike fitting. (inside joke)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: So the MRI was unremarkable.... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ever since the alleged initial post.......

It's like a vocabulary UPGRADE!

I just love the word "Charlatan"
Quote Reply