Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So Many Options -Wetsuit
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone, my first triathlon is this upcoming Sunday and I quickly realized I should've gotten a wetsuit not only for the race but for training. I see that there are all kinds of options whether it's thickness or with sleeves etc and I'm just wondering what you guys recommend for training. I live in New York so I'd imagine if I want any kind of open water training in the colder months I'd need a different wetsuit than I'd need during times such as now but I'm looking for something for the Spring/Fall/Summer months as I may just stick indoors for the winter months. Also if you have time if you could recommend what type of suit for racing also as it appears there is a difference? I really know nothing about swimming let alone triathlon swimming and I'm excited to get the expert opinions. Thanks in advance for the info.
Quote Reply
Re: So Many Options -Wetsuit [Kylek42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roka wetsuits. https://www.roka.com/...ns/maverick-wetsuits

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: So Many Options -Wetsuit [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
De Soto wetsuits: https://www.desotosport.com/collections/t1-wetsuits

I'll second the DeSoto suits!
Quote Reply
Re: So Many Options -Wetsuit [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both are nice wetsuits, but it is his first triathlon and knows nothing about swimming. Wouldn't it be a better recommendation to suggest he rent one or go with a lesser expensive option like an Xterra?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since people gave you recommendations but no info on why you should choose a suit, I'll give you info vs suggestions that may or may not work for you.

There are 3 types of rubber #38, #39, #40. They become more flexible as the # increases and more fragile. Thickness of the rubber also impacts flexibility. 5mm is less flexible than 2mm. You want more flex in the shoulders/arms vs the legs hence lower thickness. Many suits now are 1-2mm in the shoulder panels. Personally I would not consider a 4 or 5mm in the shoulders/arm suit. 1-2 yes, maybe 3mm...maybe.

Most suits are neoprene outside and a jersey material inside. AFAIK Aquaman makes the only 2 sided neoprene wetsuit.

You want to get the suit that fits well. Read this, it's older but still relevant: http://stevefleck.blogspot.com/...s-all-about-fit.html

Now that you know to find the best fitting suit you should also know 98% of the time full sleeve suits will be faster. The only exception is the M45-49AG bc that's where I race. No one needs to use a wetsuit in that age group except the athletes I coach in that AG and me...EVER

In the shoulders 1mm panels of #40 are going to be the most flexible shoulder panels you can find. You'll have to play around with suits to find the best combo of thickness and rubber type for you.

If you sink through the hips and legs you probably need a 5mm lower body front panel. If you have really good body position you can probably get by with a 3:5 or 4:4 type suit. This also goes to something Steve Fleck said in his post about finding the brand that fits you the best.

Wetsuits go on easier with a plastic grocery store bag over your feet & wrists. Clip your nails and/or wear gloves. I wear some of those nitrile dipped gloves when putting on my wettie. Allows me to grab a lot of rubber and pull it up

That's a quick primer and hope it helps

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jun 16, 17 15:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah - just get a cheap xterra if its your first

usually codes for 70% off
https://www.retailmenot.com/view/xterrawetsuits.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will you just be using the suit a few times only this summer (for racing), or is it something you think you'll really use for open-water training?

If just using a few times, might make sense to rent or buy a cheaper tri-specific suit, as mentioned.
If using more frequently, makes sense to spend $$ and get high-quality suit w/ stretch rubber that will prevent shoulder fatigue.

If you search/research here, most ppl will say there's maybe 4-5 legit high quality brands.

My personal experience: after reading reviews/testimonials, was all set to buy brand rhymes with "Boca".
Then read about possible durability issues w/ underarm seams. Changed mind and went with "Schmeventy".
Only issue was overly tight fit.. was worried about time to put on and risk of tearing -- and did not allow return if test-swim ('exchange' only).
Bailed out and instead went w/ DeSoto (which many ppl here recommend, but I felt their 2pc suit was not as cool as super-hero 1pc suits).

Boy was I wrong. Can't recommend the DeSoto 2pc enough. Great fit, easy to get on/off.
And great cust service. I ordered two sizes (rush shipping); they called me same day and talked me through sizing issue -- saved me having to deal w/ return shipping.
"Go ahead and swim in it" 100% gaurantee -- which not all brands offer.

For any of the top brands, most have coupon codes floating around, if you search or ask here on the forum.
And longsleeves are faster than sleeveless..
Quote Reply