Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So I took a dremel to my Zipp 900 clincher disc and...
Quote | Reply
it worked perfectly. I know many of you were clicking on this thread to see a massacred wheel. Sorry to disappoint! ;-)

Spurred by this thread: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4056453

The Zipp 900 clincher has a very small valve opening. Much smaller than the tubular version.

Clincher (w/36mm stem). Thanks to dano-oly for the pic:

Tubular (w/36mm stem). Thanks to RichardL for the pic:

You can see it's very difficult getting a crack pipe to fit in there, let alone a CO2 inflator or my Lezyne speed chuck for my Lezyne pump. I also hate using the crack pipe because you don't get a pressure reading on most pumps and it requires a lot of effort to pump up a tire over 100psi (two people or a one-handed battle). So the biggest problem I wanted to solve for me personally was to make sure my Lezyne speed chuck fit and a CO2 inflator fit without some crazy MacGyver workaround.

I was more than a little freaked out taking a dremel to an $1,800 wheel. I knew it would void the warranty and all that. Thankfully, there was a little carbon lip at the bottom of the valve opening that was maybe 6-8mm deep. So I had plenty of room to dremel out the lip before hitting anything considered structural. I used the dremel bit pictured a few posts below to sand and grind the lip down. I wouldn't recommend trying to cut it.

The result

The red line represents where the lip was before I used the dremel and removed it. The green area represents the part removed.

I then pumped up the tire to 115psi to make sure the valve stem was pushed down as far as possible and attached a variety of heads to it...

Lezyne speed chuck:

Crack pipe:

CO2 inflator:

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Jul 21, 12 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: So I took a dremel to my Zipp 900 clincher disc and... [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice - you should have been a surgeon - or in RD at Zipp - they should have known better.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: So I took a dremel to my Zipp 900 clincher disc and... [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same issue, and have wanted to do the same thing. Maybe it is not time to give it a try.

Thanks

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: So I took a dremel to my Zipp 900 clincher disc and... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I have the same issue, and have wanted to do the same thing. Maybe it is not time to give it a try.

Thanks

Once I built up the nerve to do it (which was about two days) it took about three minutes. Nothing cracked or splintered and the dremeled area is very smooth. Trust me, you have a lot of room to work with before you would hit anything structural. The dremel is relatively precise and it would be hard to screw it up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's cool that your CO2 inflator now fits on your latex tube and all...

but be sure to carry a butyl tube for a spare if you're using CO2.

Run latex with air first. If you flat, swap with butyl and CO2.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't actually have this wheel, or this problem, but for the people that may try doing this, what "bit" did you use for the cut?

---

"Sometimes it's just easier to do it the hard way."
Quote Reply
Re: So I took a dremel to my Zipp 900 clincher disc and... [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
It's cool that your CO2 inflator now fits on your latex tube and all...

but be sure to carry a butyl tube for a spare if you're using CO2.

Run latex with air first. If you flat, swap with butyl and CO2.

My spares are butyl.

Quote Reply
Re: So I took a dremel to my Zipp 900 clincher disc and... [othegrch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
othegrch wrote:
I don't actually have this wheel, or this problem, but for the people that may try doing this, what "bit" did you use for the cut?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah! More a controlled sanding/grinding operation. Good idea! Nice job!

---

"Sometimes it's just easier to do it the hard way."
Quote Reply
Re: So I took a dremel to my Zipp 900 clincher disc and... [othegrch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
othegrch wrote:
Ah! More a controlled sanding/grinding operation. Good idea! Nice job!

Hell yes. No way I was cutting into it. I just wanted to smooth that lip down a few millimeters.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope that section of your wheel is non structural [non load bearing]

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: So I took a dremel to my Zipp 900 clincher disc and... [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:

It really was just a hollow lip area. I should've taken a close-up "before" shot to emphasize that point. The structural part was still a few mm below where I stopped.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, after years of fighting this stupid wheel, and your success and tool you used, I just did it.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
RoYe wrote:

It really was just a hollow lip area. I should've taken a close-up "before" shot to emphasize that point. The structural part was still a few mm below where I stopped.

Yep, nothing structural where we took of a little plastic.

Quote Reply
Re: So I took a dremel to my Zipp 900 clincher disc and... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those thinking off attempting this..one thing that isn't mentioned it the Dremel tip speed. From experience with other materials I can say it is far better to use the Dremel at maximum speed and using a very light feathering motion to make the cuts. If you go slower with tip speed it tends to 'rip' the material more than sand it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
othegrch wrote:

x2. My 900 is ridiculous and even with a crack pipe I have to push the valve a bit sideways to get it in. No way can any kind of pump head can be used....would love to know what fitting you used.

Oooops sorry glazed over that post, got it! Great work.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Jul 21, 12 12:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Okay, after years of fighting this stupid wheel, and your success and tool you used, I just did it.

Glad I could I could be an inspiration. I did read about some other folks doing it so I'm certainly not any kind of trailblazer (or guinea pig). :-)

I bet you wish you had done it sooner, huh?

Quote Reply
Re: So I took a dremel to my Zipp 900 clincher disc and... [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentiger wrote:
For those thinking off attempting this..one thing that isn't mentioned it the Dremel tip speed. From experience with other materials I can say it is far better to use the Dremel at maximum speed and using a very light feathering motion to make the cuts. If you go slower with tip speed it tends to 'rip' the material more than sand it

I was probably using 2/3rds full power.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Once I built up the nerve to do it (which was about two days) it took about three minutes"

Funny, as I was reading your post, I thought " I bet organizing this post took longer than the actual procedure"

But this is a great description of the how-to. Thanks!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nobody's constipated on race morning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What say you about the older foam core models like mine. Any ideas on whether cutting some of that out would/could be an issue?[/img]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Glad I could I could be an inspiration. I did read about some other folks doing it so I'm certainly not any kind of trailblazer (or guinea pig). :-)

I bet you wish you had done it sooner, huh?

Yep, it has been a pain. But never had the guts to do this to my 2K wheel until now. Thanks for pushing me over the edge.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you don't ride with the valve stem that angled or it might be a short ride after the stem rips off.
Quote Reply
Re: So I took a dremel to my Zipp 900 clincher disc and... [wvtrigeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wvtrigeek wrote:
Hope you don't ride with the valve stem that angled or it might be a short ride after the stem rips off.

Been racing the entire season with it like that. What is the issue?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work.

for the aero weenies, you can always cover the hole with electric tape for races.

Quote | Reply
BeachboyWI wrote:
Nice work.

for the aero weenies, you can always cover the hole with electric tape for races.

Nah, not worth the effort for me. I have to many other aero things that would need to be improved before I worried about that hole in the disc wheel.

Quote Reply

Prev Next