Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So, who here raced with all of the Big Four?
Quote | Reply
Yes, that makes you old! I would be curious as to which races you got to race against them. Kona '82 for me. But I remember Molina at Bonelli Park, Tinley in Oxnard, and Dave in Mission Viejo.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: So, who here raced with all of the Big Four? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i raced against molina and ST in 81. mark in 82. but dave kept dodging me ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: So, who here raced with all of the Big Four? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave races occasionally, call him out!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Scott and Molina and Tinley.

Never Allen which always surprised me as he seemed to race the most. Okay molina raced the most.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
Yes, that makes you old! I would be curious as to which races you got to race against them. Kona '82 for me. But I remember Molina at Bonelli Park, Tinley in Oxnard, and Dave in Mission Viejo.

I raced against Molina last weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
closest I came was Hilton Head '86.

Though, Mark gave me a call asking my advice - I told him "ah stay home, this is a "no big deal event"" (so only the big 3 there).

If you believe that Mark gave me a call part... - I got some prime beach front property for you!

I was there and Mark was not. It was my first full year of tri - I had the worst race of my life - found out it kinda matters if you can't swim. :-( (but I sucked on the bike and run too).

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Last edited by: manofthewoods: Apr 14, 15 1:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only 3 of them, I think. I'm not sure if Molina was in Bermuda in 1987. I was 16, I think it was my second race ever. But Pigg and a 15 year old Lance Armstrong were there, long with Rick Wells, Brooks Clark, the Puntous sisters....

By "racing with" you mean on the same course at roughly the same time, right?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 14, 15 5:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark and ST in Kona 1991. Dave in Kona 2001. Missed Scott M. When I didn't do Chicago in '89 as I had planned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At one time or another I've been entered in the same race as all of them.

So, yeah, sure, I've raced with all of em.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: So, who here raced with all of the Big Four? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, "racing with" humorously means in the same event not like they knew and were concerned about you showing up.
I never "raced with" Pigg. Wished I had, he was excellent too.
Did a few swim workouts with the Puntous twins. Great thing about our sport, getting to train and race with them. Most of the top triathletes are willing to chat.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cannot even count the number of times I races those guys, and even came out on top on occasion. Dave did not race much back then, so unless you did hawaii or the odd olympic distance race he did, you would not see him too often. Molina and Tinley I raced every month at least, sometimes every weekend. Raced Mark a lot too, but he then became allusive like dave later in his career. Although I seemed to do the same out of the way races he did quite often, but only beat him a handful of times. Molina I came 2nd to a whole bunch of times, and probably only beat him if he had a really off day, and he did not have too many of those.

And talking about Pigg, he came well after those guys were established, but do remember him in 85 at the Monterrey Bay 1/2 tri. He was a very young aggressive kid who i had never heard of, until he was chasing me and Grant Boswell in the run. Managed to get the best of him that day too, but not too much longer and he became like Molina, virtually on at every race, and hard as hell to beat. If there had been room for a 5th on Mt. Rushmore, it would have been his premeturely bald head sticking up there..
Quote Reply
Re: So, who here raced with all of the Big Four? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I was at a triathlon camp with you and Dave in Irvine. Liz Applegate was the other Star. Dave just got a Nike sponsorship.
I learned a lot, but was still slow.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I got Tinley, Molina and Allen in various USTS races from 1988-1992. I don't think I ever raced against Dave Scott, but I bought my first bike, a Centurion, because of him. That sort of counts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the same race as Molina a few times and Scott Tinley a couple of times. I also let Mike Pigg cut in front of me in the Porta-Potty line at the USTS race in Encinitas.

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I 'raced' them on a regular basis at the Boulder masters swim workouts in 1990 - 1992 (or so). Mark Allen, Scott Tinley and Dave Scott were regularly there. Scott Molina less so, but he was around.

By racing, though, I mean hanging on for dear life at the back of the fast lane with those guys, while we all tried to avoid being lapped by Andy Carlson. Except for Tinley. He was a couple lanes over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in many races with all four of these guys, but I never "raced" them. Only beat Dave Scott once - at Gulf Coast in the early 80's - he was not able to finish the run.

Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been in races with all of them. Was in the same elevator as Mark Allen before the old Coors Light Biathlon in San Francisco, was in line behind Scott Tinley at the Marina Safeway the day before one of the old Alcatraz races....which was closer than I ever got on race day. Way, way closer. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All 4 as far as being at the same race, obviously not racing against for me. Tinley by far my fav. He sat under a palm tree with me and a pal after Gulf Coast one year guzzling Bud Light's. We were awe struck he'd actually sit and talk....really just talk....with two AG dorks. Damn that ice cold draft Bud Light was heavenly. Went out that next month and bought a Quintana Roo Superform mostly b/c he was on one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Karl and All,

Well ..... [pictures or it did not happen] Dave Scott (was the winner I think) signed my award for the race ..... think some of the other 4 were there .... don't have the race roster anymore and ran across this on looking for data for the 2014 income tax filing.

The race was on a housing development owned by Charles Keating of later fame for the Keating Five and Lincoln Savings and Loan scandal for which he did hard time.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=2496082#2496082

When Lincoln failed in 1989, it cost the federal government over $3 billion and about 23,000 customers were left with worthless bonds. In the early 1990s, Keating was convicted in both federal and state courts of many counts of fraud,racketeering, and conspiracy. He served four and a half years in prison before those convictions were overturned in 1996. In 1999, he pleaded guilty to a more limited set of wire fraud andbankruptcy fraud counts, and was sentenced to the time he had already served.

The Keating Five were five United States Senators accused of corruption in 1989, igniting a major political scandal as part of the larger Savings and Loan crisis of the late 1980s and early 1990s. The five senators, Alan Cranston (Democrat of California),Dennis DeConcini (Democrat of Arizona), John Glenn (Democrat of Ohio), John McCain(Republican of Arizona), and Donald W. Riegle, Jr. (Democrat of Michigan), were accused of improperly intervening in 1987 on behalf of Charles H. Keating, Jr., chairman of the Lincoln Savings and Loan Association, which was the target of a regulatory investigation by the Federal Home Loan Bank Board (FHLBB).

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The definition is loose but I was on the same start line in a mass start on the exact same course as Molina and Tinley IMC 1991
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Three of the big five (Dave Scott, Scott Tinley and Mike Pigg) at the USTS Bud light event in Miami back in the 1980's. Also I believe the the Pontous twins were there.

It is a gross exaggeration to say that I competed against any of them, we simply were in the same event.

I was at the Buffalo Springs Lake Triathlon a few years and there was the Legends Series and Dave Scott won, Scott Molina second and Scott Tinley was third. No sure who else was in the legends series. I bought Molina a beer at the awards ceremony.

Only one missing from my check list is Mark Allan.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Last edited by: hblake: Apr 14, 15 15:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mr. Molina isn't done yet - he's racing at Celtman in Scotland this Summer :)
Quote Reply
Re: So, who here raced with all of the Big Four? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, if you were racing in the 55+ AG in 1989, you must be at least 80 or 81 now??? You may be the oldest ST-er on here!!! Kudos!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced the first time all 4 raced the same race - USTS Chicago either '84 or '85. Fabulous day!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Earliest race course I shared with Molina was Bud Light USTS Detroit in '85. Dave Scott used to come to the Wendy's Triathlon in Columbus, OH in the mid to late '80s. I remember one race t-shirt that said "I raced The Man." Got the thrill of passing Tinley coming out of the Energy Lab in '99. I think it was his last Kona finish. He passed me within a couple of miles and finished 15 minutes ahead of me. I can't remember being in the same race as Mark Allen. Maybe one of the Chicago triathlons in the late '80s or NCC Cleveland in the early '90s.
Quote Reply

Prev Next