Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So, I had 70% of my right lung removed recently...
Quote | Reply
I'll attempt to not bore anyone too much by giving a condensed version of my last six months, such as I can. I was diagnosed in September with occular melanoma, on my right retina. The treatment was a radioactive implant that I had to have on for five days. A biopsy revealed that it was not melanoma, but rather a secondary carcinoma, meaning that it had come from somewhere else in my body. Subsequent testing revealed a carcinoma in my right lung. The treatment for that was a lobectomy, with the lower and middle lobes of my right lung removed. That surgery was Dec. 3. I missed 10 weeks of work recovering from the surgery, and returned to work on Feb. 10.

I am 56 years old, and have been doing multisport since 1994. The only events I have ever done have been sprint duathlons, generally about 8-10 per year (and yes, I understand where that puts me on the ST totem pole). I started riding my bike on the trainer at the beginning of January and took my first ride outside since Thanksgiving on Jan. 13. It was a momentous occasion for me. Unfortunately, the weather here in the Northeast has kept me on the trainer other than that week. I started running two weeks ago. I'm running for 5 minutes, then walking for three at this point, for a total of 25 minutes, with the intention of slowly increasing that. I can't believe how tired my legs have been, most likely a combination of not running for three months and my diminished lung capacity. I am willing to be patient and take my time. While it is very frustrating to have gone from running 6 days a week (30 mpw) to barely being able to finish the 5 minute run portion of a run/walk, like I told my Wife, I need to focus on what I can do, not what I can't.

The good news is that the cancer in both my eye and my lung is gone, and I don't have to receive chemo, radiation, or any other treatment. I just have to get myself back in shape.

Thanks for reading.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: So, I had 70% of my right lung removed recently... [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spectacular news on being cancer free and on the road to recovery - and getting back on the running/biking horse!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: So, I had 70% of my right lung removed recently... [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just hearing that you are cancer free, and up and RUNNING (even if 5 minutes), is fantastic. Not many people can say they've had a radioactive implant either. Keep it up, and please keep us posted on your progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow! amazing news. good luck and i know that could not have been a happy time after surgery. my son had part of his lung resected and was in so much pain. glad to see you're on the road to recovery.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your story and best of luck on your journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! You had some awesome doctors. I'll bet you thank them every day you can....

Twenty years ago? Hmm.... Let's not go there.

Good luck, and let us know in a few months how it's going. You don't need all your lung capacity to run, so you'll get a lot of your run strength back, I'm sure.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7-10 du's of any distance is pretty awesome. Add on top of that eye/ lung cancer and you become an official beast.

P.S. Can I buy some of your missing lung? As a science teacher, it would be a great addition to my classroom. Labeled: Lung- Species: Badass

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: So, I had 70% of my right lung removed recently... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no kidding

Tri-Banter wrote:
7-10 du's of any distance is pretty awesome. Add on top of that eye/ lung cancer and you become an official beast.

P.S. Can I buy some of your missing lung? As a science teacher, it would be a great addition to my classroom. Labeled: Lung- Species: Badass
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you're not letting a physical setback define you! I like what you said about focusing on what you CAN do, not what you CAN'T do. Keep that as your mantra moving forward and good luck!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your post certainly puts things in perspective.

Best of luck on the comeback trail!!

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news!

Congrats on the comeback. Keep after it.

Larry Creswell
http://www.athletesheart.org, @athletesheart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're thanking us for reading !?
WE'RE thanking YOU for being such an inspiration !

One day, one step, one breath at a time.
Frustration may be yours right now but you will be toeing the start line before you know it. Blessings and much success to you.
Quote Reply
Re: So, I had 70% of my right lung removed recently... [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Jay. You don't know me, but I have bought 4 boards from you over the years. I live in PA, and get out in Ocean City NJ as much as I can, which isn't nearly enough. Looking forward to getting back in the water once it warms up, although dropping in and taking an impact on my ribs would suck at the moment. Maybe I need to learn DK!

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: So, I had 70% of my right lung removed recently... [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Doctors were exceptional. Dr. Carol Shields at Wills Eye Hopital and Dr. Walter Scott at Fox Chase Cancer Center. I am lucky to live in the Philadelphia area and have access to so many great medical facilities.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang in there! It's been a long, cold winter for you guys!
Thanks for supporting our business too!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddy I ride with almost same age only has one lung due to cancer. He can hold his own on the bike even when we are up at altitude.

It comes back. Congrats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words. I was hesitant to post this info on here, because I wasn't sure what my point was in doing it. I hope to continue to feel a little better each day, and eventually get back to the point where I feel like racing again. But if I don't, I can deal with that as well. I have a wonderful wife and family, and a great group of friends, and I have learned to appreciate more all the little things that we take for granted.

There was never any doubt in my mind that I would get back on the bike and also start running again. It really gave me something to look forward to as I was recovering.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear that you're feeling better, and sorry to hear about what you've been through. I hope you're able to keep tri's (or whatever sports you like!) as part of your life for a long time. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your story is very inspirational, thanks for posting it. It's always great to hear such a triumph of spirit for somebody to come through an experience like yours unbroken! You sound like you are not only ready to get back out that but are going to teach a lot of people along the way the importance of enjoying the sport. I know that's what I got out of your story. I wish you all the best in breaking through your upcoming training benchmarks, you definitely will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words. .... It really gave me something to look forward to as I was recovering.
Amazing news, thanks for posting and reminding us to enjoy every moment of life.

Quote | Reply
My buddy sticks to century rides and races like 24 hrs mtb races. So I know you csn race again you just have to be selective on type's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words. I was hesitant to post this info on here, because I wasn't sure what my point was in doing it. I hope to continue to feel a little better each day, and eventually get back to the point where I feel like racing again. But if I don't, I can deal with that as well. I have a wonderful wife and family, and a great group of friends, and I have learned to appreciate more all the little things that we take for granted.

There was never any doubt in my mind that I would get back on the bike and also start running again. It really gave me something to look forward to as I was recovering.

I know a guy from Canada who qualified for the Canadian Olympic Team in swimming (1980--the boycott year). Shortly after he was diagnosed with lung cancer and had an entire lung removed. It was a helluva long comeback trail for him but he was determined to get back to his former self. Long story short, he narrowly missed qualifying for the 1988 games in modern pentathlon, with only one lung!

Your story is awesome and I wanted to share this one to show just how far you can come back.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awe-inspiring. God bless you and thanks for sharing. Life is so precious and sometimes we need a reminder!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations to you. Your determination and will to be back out training so soon is amazing. It is real life stories like these that enter my mind when I am think that I can't go another step and want to quit, but realize that there are people that have suffered and survived much worse and that motivates me to keep going. If you did any swimming, I would have bet that you would get a well deserved trip to Hawaii courtesy of "Kona Inspired".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude,
You certainly count as a glass half full kinda guy.

After many record eris, none even close to yours, all I can say is "baby steps". Take your time and you will get there.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply

Prev Next