Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Snorkels
Quote | Reply
If I understand it correctly, USAT doesn't prohibit snorkels, and being very, very new to this sport, and the water portion being my weakest link (biking and running pitiful too honestly), what are the true cons of using a snorkel until I get more comfortable in ows? Goals are really to beat my previous tri time (only did one so far, so...) and obv to finish. Yes, I'm practicing swimming and working with a coach, but before two weeks ago I could only swim freestyle heads up, so while I'm progressing it's slow. Hate to be "that guy" with a snorkel, but if they provided a true advantage wouldn't more pros use them?
Quote Reply
Re: Snorkels [Cmatthews7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd avoid that crutch from the start so you don't get dependent on it. It's like training wheels. And yeah, it creates a ton of drag so you'll be slower, that's why the pros don't use them. And you'll still have to lift your head to sight anyway. Triathlons are an extreme sport, so use the challenge to improve yourself so you can handle them and become a true well-rounded athlete. You can do it - everybody else has.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snorkels are legal and they do not provide an advantage.

You will indeed be "that guy" with a snorkel. As previously stated, try to figure out your freestyle breathing instead of breathing recirculated air through a tube, further slowing you down.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Likely the biggest disadvantage is the large dead air space, with every inhale you are inhaling previously exhaled air for the volume of the snorkel, so less oxygen intake per breath. And maybe bigger they take more work to breath through so personally I find it difficult to swim hard, as soon as my breathing would get semi hard normally it ramps up to quite hard to breath enough with a snorkel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot, for the life of me, use a snorkel without a scuba mask. I always want to breathe in through my nose....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Snorkels [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A symmetric snorkel is a great training tool, but I can't imagine using one in competition..

My first event was an Oly aquabike; .9mile swim. I did it with almost no swim prep and was the guy doing breaststroke and upside-down frogkick on my back. The whole way. Last into the water, 2nd to last out.

I'd think breaststroke (or sidestroke) is a lot more restful to a beginning swimmer than crawl with a snorkel. And snorkel could get kicked out of your mouth in the scrum.

Don't forget you'll get a lot of float from wearing a wetsuit. And most events have safety volunteers in kayaks or SUPs if you need to hang on and rest.

Ditto the other comment, I'd leave the snorkel on the shore. Try to stay calm and focus on nice easy breathing. And count the course bouys. You make it to the first one, then focus on the next one, then the next one.. Before you know it, all the buoys will be behind you and you'll be headed back to shore.
Quote Reply