Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smith Podium for Kona
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

Considering a Smith Podium to replace my white Selector. Would choose all white, but back/white version is available at LBS at a great price (and right size). Will it be too hot for Kona?

https://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Homme/Casques/VĂ©lo/Podium-TT/p/HB17-TTRWLG-KT/sizeVariants

Cheers ! H
Quote Reply
Re: Smith Podium for Kona [Hoodoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure a lot of people will disagree with me but I found the Rudy Wing 57 with visor and vent open to hot by the end on my first Kona, I then ran the Giro Attack with visor semi aero ok twice and my last trip there the Catlike Rapid Tri was ok but it allows air to pass over your ears that your body uses to sense cooling. I trialled a MET Drone prior to racing the last time in the Giro Attack and the huge volume of air behind the visor was better than most aero helmets but still didn't want to risk it on race day as it gets warm in there.

The Smith looks hot with no vents much like a Kask Bambino and a friend of mine won his age group in Kona two years ago that he found fine but IMO you're taking a gamble there and could ruin your race. Catlike Rapid Tri or a semi aero like the Giro Vanquish for me. A few minutes saved in aero gains may cook your head and blow you run.
Quote Reply
Re: Smith Podium for Kona [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I am sure a lot of people will disagree with me but I found the Rudy Wing 57 with visor and vent open to hot by the end on my first Kona, I then ran the Giro Attack with visor semi aero ok twice and my last trip there the Catlike Rapid Tri was ok but it allows air to pass over your ears that your body uses to sense cooling. I trialled a MET Drone prior to racing the last time in the Giro Attack and the huge volume of air behind the visor was better than most aero helmets but still didn't want to risk it on race day as it gets warm in there.

The Smith looks hot with no vents much like a Kask Bambino and a friend of mine won his age group in Kona two years ago that he found fine but IMO you're taking a gamble there and could ruin your race. Catlike Rapid Tri or a semi aero like the Giro Vanquish for me. A few minutes saved in aero gains may cook your head and blow you run.

The Podium TT does have 2 frontal vents and also on top of the lens. It is actually cooler then it looks.

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply