Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smart trainer advice !
Quote | Reply
Hi !

Looking for advice re a "smart" training system. Excuse me but I am a bit of a technophobe !

I'm looking for something that will allow me to ride courses or workouts where the turbo trainer adjusts the load so that I can ride without having to do this manually.

If I was to buy a Wahoo trainer and I have an I-Pad with one of their little dongles is this all I need ? I realise I will have to join or subscribe to something like trainer road etc to actually make use of it all.

At the moment my workouts are X minutes at Y power etc and I have to adjust gears, trainer load etc manually. It works but I'm looking for something more realistic.

I'm looking to train smarter over next winter and am willing to do a bit of investment to achieve this.

Be gentle please ........

Thanks !

LG
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainer advice ! [lagazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I would suggest starting here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Take a look at his reviews and go from there.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was actually asking myself the same question last night. I'm curious to see other peoples thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of people like the Powerbeam Pro. There are constantly 20% off coupons via Competitive Cyclist/Backcountry too.

Check out more at http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._latest_reply;so=ASC.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainer advice ! [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Lots of people like the Powerbeam Pro. There are constantly 20% off coupons via Competitive Cyclist/Backcountry too.

Check out more at http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._latest_reply;so=ASC.

Interested in the Powerbeam Pro as well but looking for some clarification as to how the workouts are programmed and data can be collected.

I have the usual ANT+ setup on my bikes i.e. powermeter and speed/cadence sensors. I want to collect my data as normal for importing into WKO+. For that, I guess nothing special needed except to just ride.

Now the POwerbeam comes in an ANT+ version as well as a BLE version. THey both seem to have different ways of controlling the resistance. How does the ANT+ version control the resistance? I seem to have read that it was via programming a manual workout in a Joule GPS which seems like a pain in the butt. First because I don't want a Joule GPS (already have Garmin) and second because programming workouts in a head unit is a pain on its own.

The BLE version seems to connect with ipad... but what apps does it use?

I would like to do two types of workouts; virtual courses or preset training sessions such as sufferfest, or manually programmed workouts (i.e. taken from my training plan).

It seems this is pretty straight forward with a Kickr Snap - is it the same with the POwerbeam Pro?

Quote | Reply
I have an ant+ powerbeam pro and you don't have to use the joule to control the resistance. Instead, you use an ant+ dongle connected to a computer and can then control the powerbeam using the various trainer programs out there (TrainerRoad, Cycleops software, PeriPedal or PerfPro studio to name a few). Once you're setup with the right software, I think most of the smart trainers work the same.

For more in depth information, I'd second the statement above to check out http://www.dcrainmaker.com and his trainer recommendations and trainer software breakdown.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainer advice ! [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ant+. Trainerroad. Don't bother with the BLE Powerbeam.

Trainerroad will make you a faster cyclist. It reads all your other ant+ sensors and puts it into one neat little ride file that automatically loads to Strava and whatever else you use within seconds of the workout being over. Sufferfest videos are in there too so it automatically adjusts your resistance based on what's going on in the video. You can also create workouts pretty easily. I would be surprised if you couldn't find workouts on Trainerroad already that matched stuff from your training plan. There are tons of workouts.

The Powerbeam comes with the ant+ dongle to put in your computer so your computer acts as your head unit and makes the file with your power and whatever other sensors you have hooked up. You can have it broadcast to your Garmin too, but I don't see how that would be useful. You can also have Trainerroad sit at the bottom of the screen so you can watch Netflix or something else. That's also how it works when you use a Sufferfest video. The 'stats' of your ride only take up like 15% of the screen at the bottom. You can also close your eyes and listen to music while it automatically adjusts resistance to try and kill you.

Trainerroad does cost $10 a month, but it's sooo worth it compared to a lot of the other crap I have bought along the way. I don't know enough about the Wahoo app to make a statement.

The new Wahoo Kickr Snap looks interesting. The Tacx Bushido Smart and Vortex Smart are pretty good choices too. I wouldn't buy a Powerbeam without that 20% off coupon. You can usually get like 10% in store credit and another 10% cash back if you're an Active Junky member too, so the Powerbeam suddenly becomes a $700 trainer with $100 in store credit too.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainer advice ! [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a powerbeam, others have already mentioned but I'll repeat it.
I have the ant+ version, this way you can connect your garmin etc.. to it, but with the ant+ stick I connect it to my laptop and use the Virtual Training software to ride courses
Check it out here http://www.cycleops.com/...ualtraining/overview
But like others have said, once you connect the trainer to your laptop or tablet that gives you a whole host of options as to what software you can use to ride, lots of fun.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of mentions if the Powerbeam Pro - a mate and I have recently bought the Tacx Vortex Smart trainer and it's excellent, plus if I. Not mistaken its at a lower price point that the Powerbeam.

Definitely worth a look.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainer advice ! [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that ! The Vortex Smart looks well priced. Do you know if it will work with an I-Pad (with Ant+) and TrainerRoad ?

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, it will. They made Ant+ updates yesterday so TR and Zwift are good to go.

lagazelle wrote:
Thanks for that ! The Vortex Smart looks well priced. Do you know if it will work with an I-Pad (with Ant+) and TrainerRoad ?

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainer advice ! [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Yup, it will. They made Ant+ updates yesterday so TR and Zwift are good to go.

lagazelle wrote:

Cheers

Legend ! Thanks for that.

Looks like I'm sorted.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the tacx vortex smart has the least power capability. It is rated as max 750w sprint power (1 min) or 950W (10 seconds) whereas both Wahoo trainers claim 2000W (no specified time limit) and the powerbeam pro is '1000+' whatever that means. (1500W for a computrainer).

I would be concerned with the tacx because it is clearly the unit with the least braking power. I'd think if you are a rider with good power the vortex will be a problem.

Quote | Reply

The higher end Tacx Trainers have higher power ratings than the Vortex.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainer advice ! [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many people need to have that much power capability?

I did a ride on Wednesday with 5 20 second sprints in it at a max power of around 500w and it was absolutely fine.

Having said that the Bushido is rated higher and also creates its own power so is much more portable

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a wahoo kickr + trainer road, usually connected to my computer.
Sometimes I'll connect the computer to the hdmi of my TV and watch youtube/netflix/whatever along with the status bar of TR.
I'm curious about people who have roller resistance trainer set-ups.

~The Diesel~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know why I said "yesterday". I meant recently, but my fingers must not have typed what my mind was thinking when I replied to you. The updates were made on June 2nd and the details are on the Tacx site. Sorry if that caused any confusion.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainer advice ! [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
How many people need to have that much power capability?

I did a ride on Wednesday with 5 20 second sprints in it at a max power of around 500w and it was absolutely fine

This is what I was thinking also, before I ordered the Vortex. I'm glad to hear you're ok with it so far. Still waiting for mine.
Quote Reply