Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Small and thin athletes with no appetite
Quote | Reply
I'm curious if anyone has seen this before. My coach has few normal sized athletes and this year has added two sub 130lb, sub 5'7" athletes. We're all cyclist, all pro, cat 1, or cat 2. The larger cyclist never have a problem eating enough to hit their marcos(mainly the amount of carbs they need). On the opposite end, us small guys are eating to the point of nausea and we're still not getting enough carbs. Anyone have any experience with this, anyone have any solutions?
Last edited by: cabdoctor: Jan 20, 17 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: Small and thin athletes with no appetite [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always resort to liquid calories when I'm doing alot of training. At 5'10 / 143lb, I stuggle to keep weight on and eat enough in heavy training, liquids are much easier to digest than solid food. Maltodextrine added to drinks, flavoured milk, sports drink etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cabdoctor wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this, anyone have any solutions?

Don't be afraid to eat some rubbish lol, I should say fat.

I'm 170cm and 132lb, i've never been the type of person who can just eat and eat, add in exercise and it can be hard. I eat a pizza after my long weekend ride/run, no way i could eat anywhere near enough carbs to replace what i burn.

Or the suggestion above is decent, the bodybuilding weight gain shakes can be good.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Jan 19, 17 1:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three tips:

Fuel adequately while training so you don't have a huge debt to replace. Always have gels in your jersey pocket and Gatorade on the pool deck.

Eat between meals. At OTC we would grab energy bars from the cafeteria so we could keep snacking into the evening. Back in the 80s, Alexi Grewal was known for bringing a portable stove to races so he could cook pasta in his room.

Have a salad at dinner, but keep it small. Make sure not to fill up on low calorie foods.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat, 181cm and 132lbs. I basicly eat like a monster day in day out, doesn't really add any weight.

When you say not getting enough carbs, I wonder how much you are eating or think you should be eating? I find carbs one of the easiest things to load up on throughout the day. Whenever my trainingloads are really high, I tend to eat a ton of dried fruits (dates, apricots, raisins, ...).
Quote Reply
Re: Small and thin athletes with no appetite [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to have the same problem. 1.79m and 67kgs at race weight. I'd eat huge amounts.

In the last 2 years though, I gained an additional 17kgs at my high point December 2015, and am now at 74kgs after having to exercise some pretty major discipline on the diet front. It just got much harder to lose weight for some reason, although I guess I haven't been as serious about tris in the last 2 years (starting to get serious again now).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Drink soda and sports drinks in place of water when thirsty. Not joking. And eat a couple extra meals a day

M 5'5 120-125 lbs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar to a few posts above:

1. Buy maltodextrin and protein powder. Mix together for a calorie dense shake. Drink after eating your meals. Lunch / dinner usually.

2. Drink gatorade while on the pool deck and eat bars while on rides (every hour)

3. Stay hydrated. It will improve your appetite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jar of peanut butter or almond butter and a spoon.

Dark chocolate. Very dark close to 100%.

Lots of rice, or rice pasta if you get bored of rice.

Snack on powerbars with simple ingredients. I like the classic Larabars just 3-4 ingredients: dates, peanut butter, brown rice, for example.

Edit: you need fruits and veggies of course. ^^Those are just to pad your calories.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Jan 19, 17 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weed
Quote Reply
Re: Small and thin athletes with no appetite [jschm13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jschm13 wrote:
weed
Lmao
Quote Reply
Re: Small and thin athletes with no appetite [Sim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sim wrote:

Drink soda and sports drinks in place of water when thirsty. Not joking. And eat a couple extra meals a day

M 5'5 120-125 lbs

Possibly the worst advice I've ever heard. WTF?

Maybe smoke some cigarettes too?
Quote Reply
Re: Small and thin athletes with no appetite [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Have a salad at dinner, but keep it small. Make sure not to fill up on low calorie foods.

I'm not sure this makes sense. Salad is usually a low calorie food and especially if it's small. Eating a salad at dinner is a great weight loss tactic, but it sounds like he (she?) needs to eat more (and is pretty thin already)

I'd actually say that the time to eat a lot of food is at dinner if someone is struggling to eat enough at other times. Just like eating while training so you don't have a huge deficit to replace, eat a lot at dinner so you don't have as huge of a deficit to replace in the morning.

When I'm training a lot I struggle to eat enough, keep enough weight on. Big dinners help (big caloric dense meals (all three)). If I'm trying to get down from my off season weight, I eat the big meals in the morning and salads at dinner.
Quote Reply
Re: Small and thin athletes with no appetite [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do eat a big dinner. The issue is that many folks can't consume enough at dinner (I would literally get sick of chewing; eating was a job not a joy), so taking in lots of calories spread across the day helps. Trying to put back 3000kcal at dinner (we were burning 6000/day) is really hard.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'10", currently ~137, usually race around 134. Cat 3 cyclist. Vegetarian.

So here's what I do:
1. Carb up before and during training rides. I don't take plain water on rides.
2. Always have snacks handy. If you can't eat enough in one sitting you can probably eat more by snacking effectively between meals. (Dried coconut is tasty and high-cal).
3. Carbs have a wide range of sources, some are more calorie-dense than others. Go for the calorie-dense ones where possible.
4. Most foods aren't just "carbs", "fats" or "protein". The body can derive energy from all three anyway. If it's hard to eat enough rice, pasta, bread, potato, etc. then bump up the fatty foods. More cheese. More avocado. More nuts.
Or pick foods that are traditionally thought of as "carbs" to get your protein (like pasta and bread - wheat is actually reasonably high in protein, especially if you eat a lot), and kill two birds with one stone.
5. Drinking calories is easy. Instead of having water with a meal, have sports drink or milk. As was suggested above, supplement meals with weight gain smoothies.
6. When I'm in heavy training and can't keep my weight up I start tracking calories and planning meals to keep the intake up.

In my youth I attempted bodybuilding for a year or so (and was ~25lbs heavier than now). I'm a hard gainer, and one of the main reasons I quit was that eating enough was mentally draining. Bike racing doesn't need as much eating as bodybuilding (for me). A couple of my team-mates are vegan (ask me how I know ;-) ) and they also manage to eat enough calories, so while dairy is "easy" it's certainly possible to pack the calories on with pretty much any dietary restrictions. It just needs a little planning.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply