Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slowman podcast
Quote | Reply
Hey Dan,
Thanks for doing the podcast at http://www.legendsoftriathlon.com. Interesting and informative talk. I/we may know some of your history, but not nearly all of it. This was a fun listen while running this morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman podcast [Simple Stevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto. Just listened to it on the treadmill about an horu ago. Good stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman podcast [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love that whole series. Even though I've been doing this triathlon stuff for a while (13 years), I never really found a good place to get the historical details of races, racers, etc. Listening to the guys and gals who were there has been really interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They do a great job on there!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure my Mom was racing ITU long course in Niece a few of the years you were there!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pleasure was mine.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman podcast [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would know this better than me/us/anyone, but is there a centralized, definitive museum/website/podcast/whathaveyou that contains the history of our sport? Is there even an article or list of the key places one could visit to get a comprehensive overview/study?

If you assigned a student a project to write the definitive history of triathlon, what sources would they cite?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simple Stevie wrote:
You would know this better than me/us/anyone, but is there a centralized, definitive museum/website/podcast/whathaveyou that contains the history of our sport? Is there even an article or list of the key places one could visit to get a comprehensive overview/study?

If you assigned a student a project to write the definitive history of triathlon, what sources would they cite?

Mike Plant and Scott Tinley have done a nice job with http://www.trihistory.com/

Mike Plant's book, Iron Will, is a great read on the first 10 years of Ironman racing. And then there's Monty's collection of triathlon magazines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for pointing this out, just downloaded it.
an hour 19, might not listen to the whole thing though....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You asked about places to start, were you to look for information about the genesis of our sport.

USA Triathlon began "The History Project" several years ago:

The Mission of the USAT History Project is to produce a comprehensive and factual history of the sport based on research, data, oral, written and visual histories and input from elite and age group triathletes, individuals, management personnel, race directors, sponsors and others.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/...history-project.aspx

There is a lot of good info there, including some great essays. Still lots of work left; but, it's headed in the right direction. barry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good friend of mine competed in Hawaii with you the first year it was held at Kona (81). He got me into tristhlon about 4 years ago and introduced me in a round about way to this site but the ironic thing is he never competed again after the 81 race. if you have those results he was 17th OA you might remember him as a D1 swimmer from Arizona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,

Any plans to go on the TRS show?

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting listen, Dan. Very informative. didn't think i'd make it through the whole thing but i wound up listening to all of the interview.

If I can ask a follow-up - you've got three real 'moments' when you talk about coming upon something that you came upon and recognized for its worth and for what it would become: the wetsuit, the tri-specific bike; and the internet. And obviously, you made the most of that. But what I kept wondering, those wouldn't have been successful if triathlon wasn't also successful. But the way you describe your intro into tri, it's more about finding something and falling in love with it. How confident were you in its future? Did you have the same thought about triathlon as you did about the web, knowing that this woudl be big, or was it more like, 'this is something i love and i want to try to make this better'?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman podcast [BigCheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigCheese wrote:
Hi Dan,

Please don't. TRS was brilliant when limited to Twitter quips etc but I've tried and failed to make it through 4 of the interviews. Wanted to love it but those bits are a mile wide and an inch deep.

Go on mike and mike instead.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman podcast [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
BigCheese wrote:
Hi Dan,

Please don't. TRS was brilliant when limited to Twitter quips etc but I've tried and failed to make it through 4 of the interviews. Wanted to love it but those bits are a mile wide and an inch deep.

I find TRS to be both really good, and really bad.

I can't stand the TRS podcast, as I find the bad out weights the good. But I do listen to the DC Rainmaker podcast.

The bits where he's talking to Ray on topic are really good, he has a good style and takes the conversation in good/interesting directions. But, I find it awful and cringeworthy when he tries to be funny* - jarringly so in many cases - and that is what put me off the TRS podcast.

*I know, humour is one of those things that is totally personal preference.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman podcast [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
BigCheese wrote:
Hi Dan,

And I was remiss in not saying that the podcast in this thread was epic and greatly appreciated.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman podcast [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"But the way you describe your intro into tri, it's more about finding something and falling in love with it. How confident were you in its future? Did you have the same thought about triathlon as you did about the web, knowing that this woudl be big, or was it more like, 'this is something i love and i want to try to make this better'?"

according to my recollection i really didn't think of triathlon in those terms at all. i felt like nature had a big future. and my legs and lungs had a big future. it was about putting my legs and lungs in nature in interesting ways, and in helping others do the same.

the big differences between then and now are money, and structure. back then, no structure, and this allowed us to conceive of interesting events. few thought about money. take wildflower as an example. 86 people the first year. in fact, the ironman, when i did it in 1981, first year in kona, it only had 326 starters. who is going to disrupt an entire ironman-length course nowadays for 326 athletes? of course, wide world of sports was there. but still, triathlon was tiny. our races were tiny. we didn't care, and it wasn't why most of us produced our races back in those days.

i am just as enthusiastic today about triathlon as i was back then. just as eager. it still gets me up every day. just, my conception of triathlon is not the same as it is for many others today. to me, my sport is just some mixture of swim, xc ski, on-, off-, fat- and gravel-bike, on- and off-road run, maybe horses, maybe backpacks, maybe maps and GPSs, and it's all rolled up into getting from point A to B with your buddies under human powered locomotion (you can take a mulligan for using a horse). making money at it, having it be certified, sanctioned, marshaled, drug-tested, having it qualify for some other race, franchising or licensing it, in the context of my personal intersection with multisport, i didn't think of those things then and i don't think of those things now.

the very best thing that has happened to "my" sport in the last decade is google earth, because it allows me to more easily plan the events i want to participate in, and most of them really wouldn't work as money-making races. but they're the events that most animate me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is a podcast? :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman podcast [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
What is a podcast? :-)

Well, Herbert, apparently it's a media format that allows Dan to discuss details of your own home life.. ;-)

Dan, thanks for replying to my post. This was very informative and interesting. It's always neat to see different ways people get to spend their lives doing something athletic (or artistic, for that matter) without trying to make a living out of winning the events themselves.
Quote Reply