Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sleeved vs sleeveless wetsuit
Quote | Reply
I will be purchasing a new wetsuit soon. I had a sleeved suit prior, but my arms/shoulders got tired quick. My thought was to get a sleeveless; but how do the two compare in terms of speed and buoyancy? Would I lose some advantage by getting sleeveless?
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved vs sleeveless wetsuit [Dtblack101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Type "Sleeved vs sleeveless wetsuit" into the search box and you will get a lot of posts discussing your question.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ime&x=7&y=21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes you would

get a high end suit they are a LOT better than the lower range in terms of shoulder flex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are PAGES of discussion on this but you just need to look in ONE place to find the answer on the sleeved vs sleeveless debate.

Show me some pros at the start line in the last 5 years in a sleeveless wetsuit?? Maybe you will find a few, but I have never noticed one.

AND it can not be a sponsorship issue as most the major wetsuit companies make short sleeve models.

From all the info I have seen, Sleeves = faster every time.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved vs sleeveless wetsuit [jakob1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 to Jakob,

Very much what you're paying for in terms of flex / buoyancy. Definitely invest in a full sleeve. It'll take a bit to get used to (hence the sore shoulders), maybe increase your consistency training in one either open water or in the pool?

Cheers

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist / Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved vs sleeveless wetsuit [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since the ITU elite wetsuit cut off temp is 68°F it doesn't make sense for them to wear a sleeveless at all. With a 78° cutoff for USAT and with some RD's pushing it over 80°F it does make sense.

The Ironman pro temp cut off is 71.5° so again it doesn't make sense for them to wear a sleeveless either.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved vs sleeveless wetsuit [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know everyone says that sleeved suits are faster. But I have to say, I am so much happier in a sleeveless. I have much more of a feel of the water and shoulders are much happier. No hard evidence but perception is certainly part of reality and I am sticking to my sleeveless at IMLP.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved vs sleeveless wetsuit [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel the same way too.

dannyweissphoto wrote:
I know everyone says that sleeved suits are faster. But I have to say, I am so much happier in a sleeveless. I have much more of a feel of the water and shoulders are much happier. No hard evidence but perception is certainly part of reality and I am sticking to my sleeveless at IMLP.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved vs sleeveless wetsuit [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I go either way, personally I prefer a sleeveless too but I have finally found a full suit that is just a fast or faster than my sleeveless ones.

I've tested a lot of suits back to back to back in open water and have not seen the differences some have claimed.

My opinion: If a person is not going to buy the best suit available, they may get lucky with a cheaper suit but should probably opt for a sleeveless unless warmth is a concern.
Quote Reply